Painting latex with acrylic paint

slimesquare

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've found a couple a threads for mixing paints with certain things in order to help with paint flexibility, but is there anything you can spray over the acrylic paint to prevent cracking and chipping if you didn't mix it with prosaide or mask latex. I'd dont wanna have to strip all the paint off and redo it all.

Thanks in advance

I've read that you can mix acrylic paint with liquid latex and apply it that way and it shouldn't crack (from what I've read). I've never tried this myself and have given it great consideration but I've not seen the evidence, or enough of it, to sell me on it.

Calling Mr Mold Maker - This guy should know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that method and the color dried totally different than it was mixed, might have to try and find a close unmixed color

I've mixed drops of artist's acrylic with liquid latex and it has turned out fine! So, yup, you deffo can mix it - to brush paint it. If you want to airbrush it onto latex however, you'll need to mix the pigment/paint with rubber cement and thinners.

As a test I brushed some contact cement onto a piece of cured latex that I had pre-tinted with acrylic paint.
When the contact cement dried I painted acrylic paint on top of it. With the paint dry I can stretch the latex piece
with no cracking of the paint.
This was just a test I did and not a technique I use all the time but with the end result I'm going try it on something else.

image.jpgYou can also tint the latex with acrylic paint and apply it. I m making an orc muscle suit and tinted the latex. Now it doesnt need painting.

Last edited:
I bought the suit as a kit, and the latex was already tinted just not the right color, but I found the liquitex makes a varnish in matte, satin, and gloss that is acrylic based and flexible. I coated a couple pieces with it last night and it seems to be holding up fine

While I've not used the technique myself, Bill Doran over at Punished Props has talked about using a Critter Sprayer to spray liquid latex. The Critter Sprayer is the fourth item under Painting Tools on this page: http://punishedprops.com/bills-tools/.

Bill also talks about tinting liquid latex in his latest book. BTW, I promise I'm not shilling for Bill. :)

Resurrecting an old thread because I found it on a google search for something else. To the OP question, I use clear plastidip. It keeps acrylic paint from flaking off perfectly. A couple layers from a spray can and all is well.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back