Paint/cladding color options/methods for 1990 comics Guardians of the Galaxy Martinex?

Marthony

Hello builders!

I’m looking towards my next project, though physical work won’t begin until May – right after the local Con in late April where I’ll take an upgraded comics Iron Man. The character in mind is 1990’s Martinex as appearing in the first 5 issues of that year’s volume of the Guardians of the Galaxy comic book. After that the artists succeeded in their plot to have him ‘simplified’ as he was such a task to draw.

Base material default is ¼ or 3/8” EVA.

The challenge I seek to engage today is how to tackle his finished color scheme of light blue, yellow & pink prism/mirror skin. While I have found fabrics that reflect different colors based on angle, they are more of a rainbow spectrum vs. my limited canon choices. My ultimate pick would be a finish that reflected one of the 3 colors depending on the viewing angle, with 2nd pick being each ‘panel’ being permanently one color only. Finish would be glossy and as reflective as possible.

I’m guessing there just isn’t a source of fabric similar to this: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/-BY6081-TPU-Iridescent-Holographic-Mirror_60750290909.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.maylikeexp.9.418d5574GhT9iZ , but in the select colors I seek. I’d also be curious if there was a way to tint/color this silver mirror fabric: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/645296450/silver-suede-hd-mirror-special-textured?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=reflective+fabric&ref=sr_gallery-1-45&frs=1.

If each panel is permanently a single color as I expect, how might you approach that? I’m guessing once the foam is sealed (Rosco Flexbond) a reflective basecoat (silver) would be added (air gun acrylic), then a tinted translucent layer in the chosen color, then glossy clear coat. Order of operations would be a challenge and might mean painting the translucent layer before gluing together, but that’s a tedium for another day. (will not consider using Plasti-Dip FYI)

I know few will recognize this character but the appeal is the type of body shape, low-poly. I hope to make use of existing files to help my process along, and might go as far as try to get a 3D body scan of myself, and manipulate as a Pepakura file.

Please share any thoughts you have.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Martinex reference.jpg
    Martinex reference.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 174
Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of either of these before.

Together with Facebook forums I now have 12 leads to investigate for this. Thanks for your help!

Hello non-con attendees,

As you have found yourself, without cons for a deadline thing sit on a back-burner longer. =) I've refinished Iron Man's paint job but many other upgrades for him remain. The Comic expo that was to run in April was rescheduled, then completely cancelled for 2020.

While I've returned to work on him, I had fresh thoughts on Martinex's paint job approach following re-finishing Iron Man. First I should mention that Martinex will be made of 1/4" black EVA foam; this tells me the base color should be silver or perhaps white. I've started 6 test pieces to explore the below approach:
- Each piece will be only a single color. I always suspected this but didn't want to admit it. =) I'll do 1 test piece with 2 colors, but I doubt it will work out.
- Process will be to heat-seal the EVA, then apply 2x coats of water/latex based contact cement as a sealer, and spray paint silver (done). 24 hours later I'll apply 6 coats of slightly diluted Liquitex glossy medium with plenty of mica tinting added. I'll finish that with 3 coats (unaltered) coats of Liquitex varnish (required as medium sticks badly to other parts).
- I've only merlot & gold mica on hand at the moment; will do 1 piece with 3x coats of each in different brush directions to see what happens; guessing will get an orange, not identifiably different colors depending on viewing angle.

I know there are many ways to paint single-color with a flexible finish...this is just what I'll test first as I'm liking the Liquitex product. As I'm anti-plastidip, I'm applying several coats regardless.

Let me know any thoughts please!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back