Opinions on The Stone Roses reforming and touring?

Hi,

Well it is old news now but seeing as the tickets are on sale and more dates to be announced just wondered what people think of them reforming.

I have personally seen a lot of reformed bands and never seen a big problem with it as I don't live in the past and most of the bands were bloody great even after reforming.

I saw The Stone Roses back in 1990 so am looking forward to the show in Manchester next June.

Anybody cynical about the reformation? Or is there a bit of genuine excitement if you are fan? Should they have done it?

Cheers Chris

Even though I like their two records, never cared to see them live. They do have an interesting concert history though as they toured for years strait. Who knows how the kids these days will react or even take notice. The hype around the My Bloody Valentine reunion shocked me and the Mary Chain suffered greatly from bad management.

Not too sure if kids these days can handle the Roses. Everything out there is so watered down, whiny and full of bubble gum its pathetic. How do you go from emo Gaga to this?
The Stone Roses - Love Spreads (audio only) - YouTube

Well people have taken notice as they have just sold 220,000 tickets in an hour and that is only 3 shows all at Manchester Heaton Park. No other dates have been announced officially but there is an unofficial list of dates now on their website.

Possibly the ticket sales are all by fans from first time around though?

They are claiming to be going to record new music as well so we will have to wait for that then pass judgement.

Cheers Chris

Well i had so many great feelings over this happening. I went through my teens with the 'roses, the best band to come out of Manchester, and packing a hefty punch worldwide.
There seem to be a lot of "fans" today though lol, ive still got all released material on my iPod, and listen to them pretty much everyday, but, we live in a time of sad little ebay scalper touts, who will no doubt ruin a true fans day on ticket prices.....so im very skeptical about the whole thing this morning....ahh think ill go put on Sally Cinnamon for a bit lol.

lee

we live in a time of sad little ebay scalper touts, who will no doubt ruin a true fans day on ticket prices.....so im very skeptical about the whole thing this morning....ahh think ill go put on Sally Cinnamon for a bit lol.

lee

Hi Lee,

I checked Ebay and there was more than 2000 tickets for sale at stupid prices just hours after they went on sale.

I think that will calm down though when they announce the whole tour.

Chris

My only concern is Ian Brown, he's just gotten worse and worse over the years, saw him last summer at Rockness and i think i LITERALLY could have sung better myself. He's so so dreadful live that all i can hope for is that john squire drowns hiout as much as possible, aside from that they're just one of the greatest british bands ever simple as..

My only concern is Ian Brown, he's just gotten worse and worse over the years, saw him last summer at Rockness and i think i LITERALLY could have sung better myself. He's so so dreadful live that all i can hope for is that john squire drowns hiout as much as possible, aside from that they're just one of the greatest british bands ever simple as..

Pretty much sums up why I won't be going....great band on record, but IB could never sing live, even back in the day.

I absolutely adore them, but never liked how off-key Brown was live... but glad they're friendly again!

The Pixies reformed and have been endlessly touring since, what, 04? I saw them back in the day, and again a few times when they were resurrected, and they were solid. If you dug the Stone Roses live, here's hoping you do now!

Man, those first half dozen singles were absolute magic!!

Reading Festival 1996 is the only thing that worrys me, the band played without John Squire and without Reni, Ian Browns vocals were monumentally bad and the band broke up shortly after. However I absolutely love the Roses and sincerely hope they can deliver something special, the fact that is the original line up gives me hope

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back