Old British Police Warrant Cards

Kennyd

London Metropolitan Police warrant card, used from around the 1930s to the 1960s. It wasn't actually featured in The Blue Lamp, but this is the sort of card used at that time by the Met.

This is paisted into a black folded leatherette cardboard cover, with gold embossed lettering on the outside, and is filled out by hand, not typewitten, although occasionally the appointment date is stamped. It's stamped with an ink stamp in the upper left corner. All corners are cut about 1/2" half rounded.
Sizes in CM at the bottom of each image and INCLUDES the grey border to allow for trimming.

I've also included a filled out version. The Commissioner's sig is correct for the time of The Blue Lamp.

4pz0ih.jpg

694bqh.jpg

2wcntr4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Blue Lamp / 1940s Metropolitan Police Warrant Card

What size is it?
And do you have a picture of the original?

Thanks for doing this I grew up watching, okay repeats of, George and the coppers of Dock Green nick.

Once the correct size is figured out I'll have to print the card out.

Cheers,
Malc.

Hey, I have a similar project in with Indy Magnoli at the moment, he does some great work on this type of stuff... Anyway, the dimensions of the Warrant Book: The black folio/folder is 80mm X 120mm open and the paper insert is 75mm X 110mm approx!
Cool stuff Kennyd, love these old style projects!

Last edited:

Those sizes seem spot on. Do you have any examples of Indy's work to show, I'd love to see it.

This is a very rough prototype I made up ages ago.

2qu22s3.jpg

2qkpbgx.jpg

Indy is still working through his backlog so unfortunately nothing to share yet but when I hear something I'll let you know. That is very nicely made Kennyd, how did you manage to do the gold stamping on the outside of the case?

Those sizes seem spot on. Do you have any examples of Indy's work to show, I'd love to see it.

2qu22s3.jpg

2qkpbgx.jpg

Awesome work, and you call that "very rough" :confused

thank you for the share your Metro ID it's very cool:thumbsup
and I love it your FBI id card James Stewart very great work by your friend(y)thumbsup congratulations

bests

Caplan

Bit of a fun one for Sherlock Holmes fans. Inspector Lestrade's warrant card (based on a genuine Met one of that date).
This is just a single piece of stiff card and doesn't fold. Print double sided on to stiff card at a width of 12cm, and trim off the grey border to give you the correct width.
He was only ever referred to as G. Lestrade, but a later author gave him the name Giles, so that's what i've used.

Front
b3r2vn.jpg

Rear
dzw6q1.jpg

Last edited:

Kennyd,

Dude you must be working along the same lines as me mate! I had something very similar made for a 'Jack the Ripper' display! Our cards match almost exactly lol!

Bit of a fun one for Sherlock Holmes fans. Inspector Lestrade's warrant card (based on a genuine Met one of that date).
This is just a single piece of stiff card and doesn't fold. Print double sided on to stiff card at a width of 12cm, and trim off the grey border to give you the correct width.
He was only ever refered to a G. Lestrade, but a later author gave him the name Giles, so that's what i've used.

Front

Rear

Superb :love
Did you copy that direct from Abberline's actual card ?

Nah, I wish lol! Its made up for the occaision along with the 'Ripper' letters etc. My brother worked at the Royal London Hospital (near Whitechappel) and used some of this stuff as a display in his office sometime in the mid 90's.

Superb :love
Did you copy that direct from Abberline's actual card ?

very nice original id Paul(y)thumbsup very superb

bests

Caplan

Kennyd I've been attempting to recreate the FBI I.D. you have posted above but I cannot find a good example of the crest or whatever you call it at the top of your ID above the blue FBI. Do you care to share? If not, I understand but my google-fu has not been any help.

Thank you very much Kennyd, I don't know if I can do much with it but if I do I will certainly post it here for everyone.

It's supposed to have that slightly rough copperplate (I think it's called) effect, so perhaps it's not too bad.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back