Odeon Theater 1978 Edmonton

Very cool! I think the quality of the lighting really sells it - the unevenness and variation in colour temperature. The lack of anything obviously out of scale is useful too, as is the lettering on the boards. The only real giveaway, aside from the aforementioned wires, is that the Odeon sign is a bit uneven.

Thanks nkg. Yeah, the lettering on the awning and the main sign was quite challenging to keep them consistent and faithful to actual theater. And not only that, trying to diffuse the light in a very small space was a pain.

Thanks nkg. Yeah, the lettering on the awning and the main sign was quite challenging to keep them consistent and faithful to actual theater. And not only that, trying to diffuse the light in a very small space was a pain.

Maybe a 3D print in clear might have been one way around the tricky letterforms.

:DVery neat. Reminds me of being a kid and when going to the cinema felt more like a special thing.

To nostalgia!

You said it. We had two other theaters a block away from this one, so we had plenty to see. It was like a kid in a candy store.
Great times for sure. :D

June 1980: Waiting in line for The Empire Strikes Back (Paramount Theater - Jasper Ave)

May 1983: First Showing of Return of the Jedi (Westmount Cinema - Edmonton)
Theatres - Edmonton - Westmount.jpg

Maybe a 3D print in clear might have been one way around the tricky letterforms.

Oh definitely. If only.
For the awning, I basically cut out each letter from clear red plastic and glued on edging. Except for the main sign, they didn't have any edging.
Still, very labor intensive work. :sick:

100_6855.jpg

100_6860.JPG

YEG? I remember Edmonton having these weird knick-names like; the Race Hole or the Robot Lady, but is YEG more than the airport? A blog or a forum perhaps? Sorry, I've been away for awhile.

Lol YEG is the airline code for Edmonton.
Never heard it referred to as yeg?
How about E-town? Lol
YEG? I remember Edmonton having these weird knick-names like; the Race Hole or the Robot Lady, but is YEG more than the airport? A blog or a forum perhaps? Sorry, I've been away for awhile.

Lol YEG is the airline code for Edmonton.
Never heard it referred to as yeg?
How about E-town? Lol

HaHa, No. I left Edmonton before the International Airport got popular. Plus I've always flew into the City Center Airport whenever I visited.
But I've heard of E-town. Cow-town is Calgary isn't it? Not to offend any Calgarians out there. I lived there too. Very nice city. ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back