No To optimus but yes to Indy

Supa troop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Shia LaBeouf tells MTV that he thinks Indiana Jones 5 is “not so far off” because—wait for it—Harrison Ford is going to the gym and George Lucas is ruminating on a MacGuffin. Wow. I’m amazed cameras haven’t already started rolling with that kind of pre-production movement.
In slightly more substantial but not wholly surprising sequel news, LaBeouf says he won’t return for a fourth Transformers film and he doesn’t expect director Michael Bay to return either. I imagine you can only yell “Optimus!” so many times before it starts to sound silly. Speaking to MTV, LaBeouf says, “It still is a hot property, I think, especially coming out of the third one. So I imagine they’ll reboot it at some point with someone else.” Transformers: Dark of the Moon opens in 3D on June 29th.

I enjoyed the first one very much. (EDIT COMPLAINTS ABOUT SECOND FILM)

We won't get a 5th Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford. It's just not gonna happen.

I'd like a 5th Indy movie sans Shia, please?

I didn't think Indy 4 was terrible. However, I could do without Shia in any film. He's like the Nic Cage of this generation - I avoid his movies unless absolutely necessary (see Kick Ass).

We can only hope for a TF reboot with a real story, and plot, not to mention an Optimus Prime that looks like, well, you know, Optimus Prime.

I have said it once and said it again, if you know Spielberg and the way he operates...

Indy 5 is a go.

From my reading of his nature, he man HATES criticsm and doesn't just let a stinker go by. He puts his thinking cap on and then tries to outdo himself. They say Last Crusade was just his personal mission to quash the critical reception of Temple of Doom. I think I heard that on one of the DVD commentaries.

Indy 5 is the film I look forward to above any other. The magic is still there, they were just a bit rusty the last time out, and there was plenty to like in it (for me, anyway). After 3 great movies they were bound to miss the mark eventually, especially after a 19 year hiatus. Unless Lucas and Spielberg have been living in a cave for the last 3 years, they've heard the criticisms of KOTCS, and I suspect that things will be adjusted accordingly for Indy 5. And even if they continue the sci-fi element, at least KOTCS won't feel so out of place for some. Honestly, the ancient alien angle seemed like an awesome idea to me, but they blew it by showing/explaining too much. (I didn't see God, Shiva, or ***** in the original trilogy, but I did see the alien, dig?)

Anyway, I'll be there for it opening day if they ever get their act together and make the thing.

I say yes to Indy 5 (more if he wasn't in it) and hell yes to a 4th Transformers (a reboot please) without him and Bay.

I have said it once and said it again, if you know Spielberg and the way he operates...

Indy 5 is a go.

From my reading of his nature, he man HATES criticsm and doesn't just let a stinker go by. He puts his thinking cap on and then tries to outdo himself. They say Last Crusade was just his personal mission to quash the critical reception of Temple of Doom. I think I heard that on one of the DVD commentaries.

You forget about the other part of the equation here. Indy is not solely a Spielberg product. It ALSO comes from a guy whose attitude is "Well, they're MY stories. So suck it." I don't begrudge the guy the right to stick to his creative guns, but I think you're being....a bit optimistic if you think that things would be dramatically different for a 5th entry.

As for rebooting Transformers, I certainly would approach a reboot of this franchise with an open mind. Especially if (A) they got Peter Cullen to come back again, (B) Michael Bay was shot into the sun, (C) the bots got a redesign to not look like miscellaneous blobs of metal, and (D) Michael Bay was shot into the sun. I say that twice, because it bears repeating.

As for rebooting Transformers, I certainly would approach a reboot of this franchise with an open mind. Especially if (A) they got Peter Cullen to come back again, (B) Michael Bay was shot into the sun, (C) the bots got a redesign to not look like miscellaneous blobs of metal, and (D) Michael Bay was shot into the sun. I say that twice, because it bears repeating.

I'd love for them to be more Generation 1 styled. Anyhow I'd like one more Indiana Jones movie but maybe something a bit more normal this time. There is still plenty of relics out there to find before the russians.

I'd love for them to be more Generation 1 styled. Anyhow I'd like one more Indiana Jones movie but maybe something a bit more normal this time. There is still plenty of relics out there to find before the russians.

I officially recognize the existence of three (3) Indy films, and the last one is the Last Crusade. I'm good with that.

Even the most collaborative writers have that as their last thought before they go to sleep at night.

Right, and there's nothing wrong with that, but my point was more about response to fan reactions when the reactions are less than what one might hope for. If Spielberg is more responsive to fan discontent, groovy, but we know Lucas is nowhere near as responsive, and the Indy films are his property too even if Steven directs them.

I would not expect any subsequent Indy films to be all that different from the last four films Lucas has put out. I think he's got a particular style and approach these days, and that's that. If folks like it, groovy. They'll probably like Indy 5, Star Wars 7-9, American Graffiti II: Electric Boogaloo, and THX1139.

But if they didn't like the last four films, or felt that they were deeply flawed, I think folks are fooling themselves to believe that an Indy 5 would be all that different. Nobody's tellin' George "No, we're doing it differently" these days. Not even Spielberg.

Since Georgy finally got his Aliens in KotCS I think a 5th part could only become better and more like the first three parts with a real world McGruffin. As oponents there are also good possibilities. There could be some Nazi remnants in south america tryin to find some remarkable artifact to revive the Reich or another plot around communists and a hunt somewhere in Asia.

The question that really bothers me is what the style of a new one would look like. Personally I did not like the 50's B-Movie look of the fourth part and then i am not sure if Steven and Goergy would not even go a step further and now make it look like some rebellish 60s movie of "New Hollywood".

Last edited:
I think Solo4114 raises some great points (not the first time). Let's hope this time round Spielberg and Ford get more control - preferably in the form of a giant red "that's really stupid" button. You know, the thing that was missing with KOTCS and the Star Wars prequels?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back