Nightwing Young Justice TV show costume ideas?

lbear1

Anyone have any ideas on the best approach for making the Nightwing costume similar to that of the one on Young Justice the tv show? If anyone has any pepakura builds I would love to see them for foam cut outs.

Attachments

• young_justice__nightwing_by_phillybee-d4yuqsk.jpg
    young_justice__nightwing_by_phillybee-d4yuqsk.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 73,628
This is my favorite Nightwing. He looks more tactical I guess. It looks like a pretty easy build if you picked up a black body suit and just added the shoulders. Heck you could even do foam under the suit to build up the chest. Good luck and welcome!

is that armor he is wearing? He shoulders look like it but the rest I'm not sure. My son wants to make to together I thought since we watch this show together it would be fun to try this one but kinda lost where to start

If memory serves (sorry, don't have the source), Phil Bourassa (the artist who designed Dick Grayson first as Robin and then Nightwing for the show) said that he wanted to capture a more realistic look for Nightwing, while still maintaining the classic silhouette and still allowing for the acrobatics essential to the character.

With that in mind, and by looking at the line definition of the costume, we can sort of infer as to what the costume is made of. Here's my estimates:

The overall body is some sort of durable but flexible padding, that is thinner at the light grey areas. I say thinner because they are all key flex points that would have to allow easy movement during combat (especially with acrobatics), i.e. knee and elbow joints, abdominals, below the chin to allow for ducking, and a thin line between the pads on the thighs to allow a little give as the leg muscles flex. The shoulders, fronts of the knees, and backs of the elbows look to have their own individual pad protection, likely thicker than others given that those tend to be high-impact areas during hand-to-hand combat. Finally, you have the gloves, boots, and belt that are all independent of the body suit.

To build this, I would find a fairly cheap, dark grey (or all black, since it'll be more common) neoprene wetsuit (or wetsuit liner). The neoprene is a bit thicker than a simple morphsuit, so the material will look a little more like the actual thing. I would simply paint the grey on the stomach and neck. I would use craft foam for the elbows, shoulders, and kneecaps. Then for the black lines on the suit, I would use some sort of shiny gloss paint, or sew thin black piping, to make the black definition lines on torso and lower legs (either one would give visual definition, even on the all-black suit). Gloves would probably have to be a modification of an existing pair, mask would have to be custom, and the boots look exactly like diving or snorkle boots, so you could probably just find a cheap pair of those.

Vox thanks for the great ideas. The snorkeling shoes were right on. Wouldn't a wetsuit be to hot as a costume? I was thinking of trying a rash guard as they are lighter. Thanks again my soon is really excited to make his first costume.

The rash guard is what I meant by the "wetsuit liner" but I just blanked on the actual name of it, haha. Yes, a rash guard would likely be cooler. But you can also get warm water wetsuits that not nearly as stifling. However, for something that breathes, the rash guard is probably best.

Hey you guys should check out pictures from Dragon Con and New York Comic Con. I saw a few people doing this costume at both. Some where good and some left more to be desired. I have been looking at too many pictures from various cons so I can't refer you to the specific galleries i saw the pics in. However a good google search should find them.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back