Night at the Museum Historically Accurate Ahkmenrah

CourtneyCoulson

Estimated Budget: $300AUD

Hi everyone, I've been a long time follower of RPF, watching everyone else build some amazing costumes and learning from you all. I have been cosplaying since I was about sixteen, mostly very simple foam and fabric things, but it's been two years since I've cosplayed at all and I'm eager to get back to it again and take it to the next level.

I recently watched Night at the Museum and it reignited my love of Egyptology, I was obsessed as a kid because I grew up watching Stargate. I have a friend who is a qualified historian and together we've been analysing Ahkmenrah's costume, turns out the costume department did their research, it's about 80% accurate to what we know of Egypt 4,000 years ago/the Middle Kingdom. I noticed Ahkmenrah says he lived 3,000 years ago in the first two movies, then 4,000 years ago in the third film, so I'm choosing the latter as the most recent piece on continuity.

I believe I can construct this fairly cheaply, it's just incredibly intricate, so it will take some time, there's a lot of beading, plus I have no idea how to make the tablet which has moving tiles and lights up. But for now I am focusing on the headdress/deshret and the collar/wesekh.

Deshret:
I would like to construct it out of real copper, however I've no experience with metal, perhaps someone might be able to give me some advice? It's a relatively simple shape.
How historically accurate is it? Not too bad, although we have no idea what real deshret were constructed out of as none have been recovered in tombs, suggesting that it was passed down to the next generation. Copper, fabric, felt and wool have all been theorised as potential materials, so copper allows me to be both screen and historically accurate. My research indicates that he may possibly have had a vulture head as well as a cobra on the deshret. However I need to verify what period that trend began. It should be noted that over the 5,000 year history of Ancient Egypt, there were relatively few changes in fashion, this is because they didn't experience as much outside influence that would be later very prevalent on the Silk Road for example.

Wesekh:
Most of the gold beads on the collar can be sourced, however I've had no luck with finding the right bugle beads, I will instead use irrigation hose, so I can cut them to the exact lengths and paint them the exact colours I need. Very cheap and easy to work with too. Historical accuracy on this collar is pretty good too, however there are no visible fastenings anywhere, this is inaccurate. Therefore I will be adding falcon head clasps at the back, I will likely cast those in resin as well as the falcon and beetle jewels. I did briefly consider adding nefer beads, beads inspired by Nefertiti, however she lived nearly a millenium after Ahkmenrah.

Fabric parts:
One of the only fabrics available in Ancient Egypt was linen, this makes fabric sourcing easy, orange and blue were certainly available pigments at the time. Capes and cloaks were never worn in Egypt, the only exception was during an event called the Heb-Sed, this was a celebration of a pharaoh's thirty year reign, the pharaoh would don a Jubilee Cloak and the few historical records we have of it actually match the pattern on Ahkmenrah's cloak. Thing is, Ahkmenrah was barely twenty when he died, it makes no sense that we would be wearing this, although given his unusual circumstances and his whole family being immortal, I'm willing to give it a pass. Perhaps he has his personal reasons for wearing it. The sleeves seem to be separate, which is unusual, though the sleeve shape itself existed at the time, will need to do more research to figure out what's going on there.

Belt:
There were certainly beaded leather belts worn during this period, however men wore their belts and shendyts (skirts) below the navel. Perhaps they hide his belly button in the movie as a nod to the old sword and sandal films made in a time when exposing this area on-screen was considered taboo. Or such modesty was needed in a family movie, I can't say. Other than wearing these things lower, I don't think I will have to change too much, there is evidence of full-length shendyts but they are rare, I need to do more research to figure out when and why they were worn.

Sandals:
Ahkmenrah is wearing some cool sandals, however I can't find a single historical source that has shoes that look anything like that. I'll keep searching, if anything more historically accurate sandals are much easier to find and no one is likely to look that close. I do have flat feet though, so I am tempted to make my own and mold the leather to my arch supports.

First on the to-do list is to make cardboard templates for the deshret and wesekh.
Will keep you posted and any suggestions are very welcome.

IMG_3289.JPGIMG_3288.JPGtumblr_njxztcJglu1tjlcjto3_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an update. I have completed the template for the headdress, it is a surprisingly complex shape, it took me a few tries to get it perfect, still uncertain of what material to make it out of.
I used paper to create a template for the collar too, mostly to determine the scale and quantity of the beads. I have cut the irrigation hose to make the beads, now I have to sand, prime and paint them. For the small gold beads I will be using these cheap plastic ones and painting them, the gold squares are actually these iron-on things I used for some Loki costumes I made a couple of years ago, I fortunately had more than enough left over.

I think I am going to focus on the fabric parts of the costume next as they will be the quickest to complete.
IMG_3691.JPGIMG_3692.JPGIMG_3696.JPGIMG_3697.JPGIMG_3698.JPGIMG_3699.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Also sorry the photos are all rotated the wrong way, they don't look like that on my computer, so I'm not sure how that happened.

Regarding the deshret, that's a pretty complex shape for your first metal working project. I'd suggest making it from foam or paper to complete the costume quickly. Then trying your hand at some simple coppersmithing. If you like it well enough to build your skills, you can make the copper one to replace the foam.

Is there a MakerSpace in your area? They are great places to learn what you'd need to make the crown. The one I go to has experts in just about every form of fabrication and everyone is very helpful and willing to teach noobs.

It's been awhile since I've posted an update, for the past couple of months I've just been deep in research, there are very few authoritative sources for Egyptian costume and there aren't many surviving examples of these clothes.The biggest challenge is taking all the paintings and sculptures of the time and trying to imagine how these garments would have been worn. I have been reading "Ancient Egyptian, Assyrian and Persian Costumes", which is a book from the 1920's and "Pharaonic Egyptian Clothing", both are excellent resources on the technical aspects of these clothes. I have drawn a sketch of what the costume will look like, I'll post that once I clean it up a bit. I've also been working on the deshret, I've made it out of worbla and it turned out quite nice, I just need to dremel a few corners and then it's ready to paint. I have made it as screen accurate as possible, I think it's the most iconic aspect of Ahkemnrah's costume, so to change it would make the costume less recognisable, plus it's fairly historically accurate anyway. Below is an illustration of costumes from 2,000 BC, the figure second from the left is basically what I'm aiming for, just add a cloak and subtract the fake beard and you've got Ahkmenrah.
pharprof.jpg

CD617BD3-3D80-4327-B06C-9B6F136933C4.jpeg672C15C6-6EAD-4E93-893A-2C83CC69B046.jpeg47CB25AA-F0E7-4BF1-AA62-E3D904C99A6F.jpeg65650EA9-BE15-449E-8B87-2E28D2509069.jpeg
I started Ahkmenrah nine months ago, sine then I’ve been busy with commissions and study and also dealing with various health issues. But I hope to get it complete this year. It is a highly detailed costume, that third photo there is a shot of the beads for the collar, I’m having to spray paint them which is quite labour intensive. This costume is probably 50% complete at this stage. But doing this fitting has inspired me.

CD617BD3-3D80-4327-B06C-9B6F136933C4.jpeg

672C15C6-6EAD-4E93-893A-2C83CC69B046.jpeg

47CB25AA-F0E7-4BF1-AA62-E3D904C99A6F.jpeg

65650EA9-BE15-449E-8B87-2E28D2509069.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back