New toy on its way....

juno

Sr Member
I'm getting the smaller of the two (MDX-15). Oh, and I ain't makin' no Vaders. He's so scary :p
http://rolanddga.com/products/3D/combo/mdx15/default.asp

----
Fast forward. It arrived.

Made my first machined "thing" (other than engraving some text in MDF) -- the 3D model of Serenity by Sean Kennedy. This is only a one-sided piece as I didn't have enough machinable wax to do both:
155155780_50c56bbff6.jpg

But... but.. there is a Vader right on the sales page. So I guess you have to make one... its your destiny.

OK, seriously.. how about greeblies? Everybody likes greeblies.

I bought one of these last year. It is a great toy. It has been a year of really getting the time to learn it, and while there is still more to learn, I love it.

We have a roland at work.
Not sure of the model number though.
I know it cost 11 thousand.
We also have an eden sla machine.
If only I had some cool models to "print" off.
Scott

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TFrosst @ May 11 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]1242571[/snapback]</div>
What kinds of materials cna be used in this machine?
[/b]

Brass is the hardest substance. The issue become having the correct endmills to do the job on the harder substances. I waited years before I was actually able to get one. I am not disappointed. While it has its limitations, it is just a matter of working around them. My first completed project (something to cut my teeth on) was this ROM Spaceknight.

[attachmentid=7983]

Any of you guys with these machines should offer your "Services",
I'm sure that RPF Members would make it worth your while.

I REALLY wish I had one of those "Toys"... :D

I have an idea of what this is and does. However, could someone give me a brief overview on what it does and how does it do it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormy320 @ May 12 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]1242973[/snapback]</div>
I have an idea of what this is and does. However, could someone give me a brief overview on what it does and how does it do it.
[/b]

A real simple explanation would be: it's a computer controlled dremel. Stick a block of plastic/resin/machinable wax in it and it'll move the cutting tool around in 3 dimensions removing material until you're left with a model of the part . It's called SRP (subtractive rapid prototyping) as opposed to 3D printers which build up the model a layer at a time.

To build up really complex models you have to start thinking like a model kit designer though. I use mine to build mould masters out of resin (complete with pour spouts, airways and keys) so that I just need to pour silicone over the 2 halves of the master which then fit together ready for resin to be poured e.g: Machined master on the left, silicone mould on the right, cast part at bottom.

dsc_1552.jpg

Made my first "thing" machined -- the 3D model of Serenity by Sean Kennedy. This is only a one-sided piece as I didn't have enough machinable wax to do both:
155155780_50c56bbff6.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back