New Mad Max

joberg

Legendary Member
George Miller and Warner (according to the website "Illuminerdi") are eyeing Chris Hemsworth to play a new character named Dementus in a new movie that would relate prior events before "Fury Road". The female lead would go to actress Anya Taylor-Joy. Miller explained that they tried to use de-aging CGI on Charlize Theron but, according to Miller, the technology is not quite ready, hence the possibility of having Taylor-Joy playing Theron's role.

I dig it.

I like the idea of telling some new stories using other characters in the Mad Max setting. It gives them room to tell stories where Max would not be a good fit, but still scratches the same itch.

I'm still not sure I know how to feel about that way de-aging CGI is moving. They can do it well, and I've enjoyed the movies and shows I've seen with it.

I think my line is going to get drawn when they start using it to cast actors in NEW roles that would need a younger role. So far I've only seen it used on existing characters (Nick Fury), or to create a younger version of the same actor in flash backs (TRON 2).

But the day they decide to cast Michael Cain and Jack Nicholson as 19 year old soldiers in a movie about the gulf war or something, I'm gonna cry foul. :p lol.

Last edited:
I dig it.

I like the idea of telling some new stories using other characters in the Mad Max setting. It gives them room to tell stories where Max would not be a good fit, but still scratches the same itch.

I'm still not sure I know how to feel about that way de-aging CGI is moving. They can do it well, and I've enjoyed the movies and shows I've seen with it.

I think my line is going to get drawn when they start using it to cast actors in NEW roles that would need a younger role. So far I've only seen it used on existing characters (Nick Fury), or to create a younger version of the same actor in flash backs (TRON 2).

But the day they decide to cast Michael Cain and Jack Nicholson as 19 year old soldiers in a movie about the gulf war or something, I'm gonna cry foul. :p lol.
What are your thoughts about the Irishman?

I'm guessing the question about The Irishman was in regards to the de-aging CGI. I didn't watch it either, because I had zero interest in it, but the snippets that I saw with the de-aging tech looked terrible.

Here's a video from one of the guys on YouTube that does Deepfakes - you can see how bad it looks when compared to the Deepfake technology, which continues to improve:

Oh, HA, did they do de-aging for the whole thing? That's funny, I didn't even notice. It looked to me like a movie about aging gangsters making a new middle class older friend from the previews. I thought the point was that they were all over the hill and still fighting for glory.

I guess this flick would certainly be one I "cry foul" on then. It's not AS bad as I would feel about this sort of thing being done on other films though, because I'm sure the idea to try and make them younger and de-age them came AFTER they were all siting around and decided to make another movie together. At that point, it's more like a bunch of friends deciding to do something silly the next time they get together.

I love Fury Road. Like... Really, really love Fury Road. I hope George Miller can make something really interesting but this screams Solo to me. I love the Mad Max world, Fury Road was a distillation of the three films before it, but a Furiosa film in the Mad Max world? Everything she had to say was already said in Fury Road. Is she a strong enough character, or interesting enough, to carry a film that shows us how she just got everything? I don't know. I don't think so.

I see no reason why de-aging needs to be used on Charlize Theron. She's perfectly capable of kicking ass until she joins the ranks of Betty White and Maggie Smith as an immortal.

Sounds like the issue is that they want to set the movie far enough back BEFORE fury road, that it would require a noticably younger looking actress to fit the timeline. I'd expect it's probably going to be Furiousa's catalyzing story; her "mad max" story. Which probably puts her in her late teens or early twenties, based on what we learn about her past in fury road.

Good lord. I just wanted to add, someone paid for my admission to Road Fury. The only reason I didn’t walk out early? I didn’t want to be rude to the person who took me to the show. Even though I got to see it for free, SOMEONE owes me for the two hours I’ll never get back.

Might be because you were in the wrong theater seeing a different movie. There's never been a Mad Max movie named Road Fury.
Just sayin'
But you know what I meant.
This flick ( to me) was so over the top I’m not going to bother remembering what it officially goes by.

Still a huge fan of this film. Best film of that year for me. Funny how perspectives are so polarised. It is a 2 hour car chase in the same way King Kong was about going into a jungle then going out of a jungle :)

I still want Tom Hardy's mad max to be the Feral Kid. I'd love to see Mel come back as the villian and complete his Mad Max's character arc.

Good news that they are going ahead and shooting it in OZ

Still a huge fan of this film. Best film of that year for me. Funny how perspectives are so polarised. It is a 2 hour car chase in the same way King Kong was about going into a jungle then going out of a jungle :)

I still want Tom Hardy's mad max to be the Feral Kid. I'd love to see Mel come back as the villian and complete his Mad Max's character arc.

Good news that they are going ahead and shooting it in OZ
Interesting ideas.

Regarding de-aging: I'm not a fan. Give some newer, younger actors and actresses the chance to play the younger characters. It worked before... so it can work now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back