Netflix - Dark props

Thank you Sandman0077 for putting that triangle together! However, as it happens, the "geometrically perfect" version with one segment copied and rotated 3x doesn't actually line up with the original quite right. I don't mean to sound unappreciative, because you created exactly what I was asking for, and it looked great on its own!! But it turns out the original must have been hand-drawn all the way around, since there was a bit of inconsistency to the spacing/angling of the hatch lines in the three segments.

To that end, I've had an external conversation going with ThreshKeller, who has very graciously hand-drawn the entire triangle graphic--and who has encouraged me to share their images here, in case it's useful for anyone assembling their own covers. It definitely lines up with the graphic on the original scan, and I must admit there's a subtle organic je ne sais quoi to the hand-drawn asymmetry that appeals to me.

If anyone happens to have a lead on a higher-quality version of the author portrait from the back cover, please share here! Currently that's the lowest-quality part of my cover and ThreshKeller is helping me to improve it...but a higher-res photo than the original scan would really do the trick.
Yeah, I noticed it didn't line up perfectly, but I figured that was just it being warped from the scan or something. Oh well. Better to have 2 versions than just 1. [emoji23]

Hey, this is awesome work, but there is a small error I believe, the second line from the bottom doesn't carry over far enough and you can see a jagged edge where it joins.

As for the Tannhaus pic, I will look to see I can find a 4K shot that has a clean angle on the back of the book.

Attachments

• Dropbox – PENROSE TRIANGLE – Simplify your life 7-25-2020 9-21-42 PM.png
    Dropbox – PENROSE TRIANGLE – Simplify your life 7-25-2020 9-21-42 PM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 143
Hey, this is awesome work, but there is a small error I believe, the second line from the bottom doesn't carry over far enough and you can see a jagged edge where it joins.

As for the Tannhaus pic, I will look to see I can find a 4K shot that has a clean angle on the back of the book.
Is that my version?

No, this is from the dropbox folder version that Patattack just uploaded.

Thanks. Good eyes! Will fix now on my end. I've also identified the remaining fonts. ISBN Font is Univers LT Std - 47 Light Condensed & the font for the numerals in the UPC is Tahoma. The UPC itself in gibberish. It doesn't seem to conform to any UPC standard that I know of & I can't generate the same barcode that appears on the book using any of UPC software I own. I've also attempted to scan it with different utilities and it doesn't work, so... I think its pure fantasy. Anyway, I've re-done the whole thing as Vector from the ground up using Pat's original files. Together, I think we've come up with an extremely accurate reproduction. I'm giving the files over to Pat now since this started as his project. I will let him decide how to share them. Back onto Ariadne now. Hopefully, I'll have that for you guys this week. I've already sourced and redrawn the illustration on the cover. I still have to go back and try to find a better image of the back. If anyone can grab a 4K screen cap of the book from the beach scene where Martha and Jonas are at the lake and he finds the Saint Christopher pendent I could really use the help. It's the only time I think the back of the book is seen. Its season 2. Unsure of the episode. I'll check back in later with that info when I get home.

Last edited:

Any chance you can try to grab me a 4K image of the back of the Ariadne book I mentioned in comment above? I'd really appreciate it man!

Any chance you can try to grab me a 4K image of the back of the Ariadne book I mentioned in comment above? I'd really appreciate it man!

The back of the book can be seen in S2:E6 - “An Endless Cycle” at 15:26. I’m looking for 4K screen caps if anyone can help. I’ve got the front figured out already.

Additionally, if anyone can offer insight into how to best get 4K screens that would also suffice. I am not entirely sure how to take 4K screen caps since I only have 2K monitors. When I “print screen” I only get 2K captures. In fact, I can’t even take snaps of Netflix in a window without using a third party app.

Are you guys exporting still frames from 4K video files directly somehow? What is the method you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

I will get it for you ASAP. Thanks for including the time stamp, that's super helpful. The 4K screencaps are from pirated rips of the show, which can be found online(warning, the sizes are huge). I'm a netflix subscriber but I like having 4K reference copies, until they decide to release a Blu Ray edition.

I will get it for you ASAP. Thanks for including the time stamp, that's super helpful. The 4K screencaps are from pirated rips of the show, which can be found online(warning, the sizes are huge). I'm a netflix subscriber but I like having 4K reference copies, until they decide to release a Blu Ray edition.

Right on man! Thanks. You’ll see the book is totally out of focus. But I’m just hoping maybe I can gain some additional insight from a slightly better screen cap than the one I was capable of taking.

I assumed the 4K caps came from video files. But how are you exporting the individual frames? Is it a particular app? I usually just “print screen“ and paste into photoshop. So my max is 2K with my monitors. I feel like I’m missing something really obvious here. Hahah. Lol.

Right on man! Thanks. You’ll see the book is totally out of focus. But I’m just hoping maybe I can gain some additional insight from a slightly better screen cap than the one I was capable of taking.

I assumed the 4K caps came from video files. But how are you exporting the individual frames? Is it a particular app? I usually just “print screen“ and paste into photoshop. So my max is 2K with my monitors. I feel like I’m missing something really obvious here. Hahah. Lol.
VLC player has a frame capture command. That's what I use. Not sure if it takes it from the monitor resolution or the source file.

These are the best I could get, unfortunately!

Attachments

• Dark.S02E06.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_15.32_[2020.07.28_12.32.26].jpg
    Dark.S02E06.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_15.32_[2020.07.28_12.32.26].jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Dark.S02E06.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_15.28_[2020.07.28_12.32.19].jpg
    Dark.S02E06.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_15.28_[2020.07.28_12.32.19].jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 204
No prob! I also checked for a better 4K shot of Tannhaus' portrait. Slim pickings, I'm afraid.

Attachments

• Dark.S02E03.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_44.54_[2020.07.28_16.28.59].jpg
    Dark.S02E03.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_44.54_[2020.07.28_16.28.59].jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DARK.S01E08.As.You.Sow.So.You.Shall.Reap.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_20.39_[2...jpg
    DARK.S01E08.As.You.Sow.So.You.Shall.Reap.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_20.39_[2...jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DARK.S01E08.As.You.Sow.So.You.Shall.Reap.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_20.33_[2...jpg
    DARK.S01E08.As.You.Sow.So.You.Shall.Reap.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_20.33_[2...jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DARK.S01E03.Past.And.Present.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_37.02_[2020.07.28_16...jpg
    DARK.S01E03.Past.And.Present.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_37.02_[2020.07.28_16...jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DARK.S01E03.Past.And.Present.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_36.58_[2020.07.28_16...jpg
    DARK.S01E03.Past.And.Present.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_36.58_[2020.07.28_16...jpg
    512 KB · Views: 137
No prob! I also checked for a better 4K shot of Tannhaus' portrait. Slim pickings, I'm afraid.

I figured as much. I'm on my 5th or 6th re-watching and I didn't see much myself. There's a decent shot in season 3 its small and skewed. But I haven't seen anything better than Pat's scan. Which I cleaned up as best I could. I haven't heard back from Pat yet. Waiting to hear his feedback. I'm hoping he's OK with making the files available. Really, the photo prints just fine. The repro we came up with is better than anything I've seen so far.

I'm in the process of ID'ing the fonts for Ariadne. I'll have to make the back up. There's no way to make out the copy word for word. But the layout will be identical. I can see the placement of the UPC, the ISBN & the size and amount of lines of copy on the back. It will be good. The front will be screen accurate for sure. It will make a nice companion to the Tannhaus book. I'll make the Airadne files available to anyone that wants to make their own and will do a small run of the book for those that want a bound version if there's any interest.

Attachments

• IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Ego, One more thing! I have noticed this in other screen caps of the Tannhaus book, but it does not appear to have a glossy finish & I believe the paper is textured. I have been wondering about this. Your screen cap shows this really well, so thanks for that. I will try to find a similar paper when I get the a copy of the book printed. I've re attached the image below that you posted for reference.

Attachments

• DARK.S01E08.As.You.Sow.So.You.Shall.Reap.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_20.39_[2...jpg
    DARK.S01E08.As.You.Sow.So.You.Shall.Reap.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_20.39_[2...jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 130
I did a quick test print of the version of the Eine Reise durch die Zeit book that Pat and I have been colaborating on. It came out really well. I'm going to run to the craft store on lunch and try to get some textured paper and see how that looks. Whats shown here is just satin photo paper.

Attachments

• IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
Here's my take on Martha's Ariadne Ein Bühnenstück book with a few pics for reference. Do whatever you want with the files. Just don't sell the my work or do a run. LOL. I'm making this available for personal *not* commercial purposes. I have hi res CMYK vector based files ready to go. If anyone wants me to print these as a notebook I can look into it. I'll probably get one made for myself. I'll see what I can find out and post here tomorrow.

Attachments

• ARIADNE_PREVIEW.jpg
    ARIADNE_PREVIEW.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 170
  • ARIADNE_S03_CAP.jpg
    ARIADNE_S03_CAP.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 145
  • ARIADNE_S02_CAP.jpg
    ARIADNE_S02_CAP.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I figured as much. I'm on my 5th or 6th re-watching and I didn't see much myself. There's a decent shot in season 3 its small and skewed. But I haven't seen anything better than Pat's scan. Which I cleaned up as best I could. I haven't heard back from Pat yet. Waiting to hear his feedback. I'm hoping he's OK with making the files available. Really, the photo prints just fine. The repro we came up with is better than anything I've seen so far.

The final files look really excellent! I'm delighted to present a PDF of the full jacket:

Most of the typesetting by me, and most of the graphic work by ThreshKeller. Thanks again for your help!

I should note that the PDF is set up as a full wraparound jacket for a 4.5"x7" perfect-bound paperback with a 0.5" spine--the exact dimensions of the "official" book that I received scans from. However, it seems to be a rather uncommon trim size (the only things I can find with the same height/widgh are journals with rounded corners OR wire binding) so I might end up re-sizing it for a 5"x8" or some other more common format.

Ego, One more thing! I have noticed this in other screen caps of the Tannhaus book, but it does not appear to have a glossy finish & I believe the paper is textured. I have been wondering about this. Your screen cap shows this really well, so thanks for that. I will try to find a similar paper when I get the a copy of the book printed. I've re attached the image below that you posted for reference.

You know, I had an impression in my mind that the paper had a sort of faux-cloth texture--but I never looked at a screenshot to check, and I couldn't see it in the scans I received, so I dismissed it as just being my imagination! Glad to have confirmation here. I'm going to see if my local print shop can do textured paper like this...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back