Nerf Aliens Pulse Rifle Build

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by quest, Mar 21, 2012.

1. quest

quest Member

So, I decided to make a Nerf version of the Aliens pulse rifle...I looked at a few different Nerf guns to use as a base, and the Stampede stood out from the start, as it was a full-auto gun. Once I got down to it though, the dimensions just weren't right, and I went a different route.

In the end, I used a Nerf Recon for the body, Longshot Front Gun for the front/grenade launcher, and the Raider's sliding stock. My plan was to make the entire gun portion out of Nerf and then scratch build the rest out of styrene...

So, here she is, from start to completion :)

[​IMG]
    ^started with the 2 Nerfs

[​IMG]
    ^chopped the top off the front gun and repositioned it to the bottom

[​IMG]
    ^styrene mostly done. For the clip, I used a cut-down 18 dart Nerf clip, then reglued it bck together to hold 12 darts.

[​IMG]
    ^modeling done...

[​IMG]
    ^painted!
    [​IMG]
    ^You can see the trigger for the grenade launcher here. Both the main gun and grenade launcher fire perfectly (and were modded to go much farther than stock)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^and a couple artsier shots to end it ;)
    [​IMG]

Still need to cut off the ends of a few screws to get em in the holes without blocking the clip or stock from sliding, but other than that she's done.

Super happy with the way it turned out. It's very sturdy, and pretty hefty too, since I filled a lot of the innards with loads of hot glue to add some strength and weight.

Hope you like it :)

Update: *** here's the templates for anyone else that wants to make one :) http://mobiusdesigns.com/nerf/Nerf_pulse_rifle.rar ***

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. bish

bish New Member

Wow very nice, I love it. I have an Icons Pulse Rifle and I don't know how many times I've picked it up and wished I could shoot Nerf darts out of it!

How long did the project take?

Great job!

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

That's awesome and i think i'll keep an eye out for these nerf guns on sale.

4. Halo_1

Halo_1 Well-Known Member

That's an ingenious idea and build Quest! Nice work!

5. quest

quest Member

Bish - it was probably 2 days of planning, 2 or 3 days of fiddling and styrene work, and 1 day to prep and paint. I could have done it quicker, but I've never really worked with styrene or done any modelling like this before, so it was a lot of double-checking and waffling before I made any cuts.

Wes: if you're looking for guns, craigslist is the way to go. These Nerf guns pop up all the time for really cheap (I got the raider and longshot for $25 total).

6. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

That's awesome!!! I have the Stampede and always thought it reminded me of a Pulse Rifle!

7. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

For never having used styrene before, you did some really impressive work with it!! I'd love to see some shroud building pics if you took any.

This is very much what I would picture as a "seburo" pulse rifle. The nerf gun design aesthetic lends itself to seburo guns anyway, but when you chop them up and make those kinds of lines, I really like it.

NICE!!!

8. quest

quest Member

Thanks man :)

unfortunately, no building shots that show anything different than the current pics...I have a few with the gun painted black and the shroud still in white, but that's about it. I would always pull out the camera at the end of the day, so missed all the progress shots.

and yea, Nerf definitely fits in the Seburo style...the new Rayven especially. I was going to make the grenade launcher more screen accurate at first, but once i glued the logshot part to the bottom, I liked it too much :)

9. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

Now that's what a real world PR would probably look like! Great job.

10. madmax

madmax Sr Member

Sweet,i may have to give this a try sometime...Nice work

11. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

That is simply jawdropping! Wow!

Best
    TAZ

12. Fifthrate

Fifthrate New Member

Wowzers! That's great!

13. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Wow, excellent job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

nice job. just some constructive critique. the gun is missing the shot gun pump handle.

15. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

The pump handle is there, if you look at the rifle before being painted, it's gray on yellow. Notice how it's forward in one shot, back in another.

16. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

It may not be screen accurate but it is badass cool.

17. Gideon Vanguard

Gideon Vanguard Well-Known Member

WOW, that's a mighty impressive mash-up! If that's your first time working with styrene you might want to start thinking of your second and third projects because your a dab hand at it. You managed to blend the the parts together very naturally and best of all everything still works. All you need is some loops and one of Noble's PR slings to help seal the deal.

I do have to ask if the shroud makes it difficult to * the recon?

Once again, Bravo on a fantastic conversion.

-JG

18. Knightjar

Knightjar Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, that is absolutely bloody brilliant. Great idea and beautifully crafted.

19. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

Nerfrific!

That is a sweet piece of eye candy, and I am sure that others will follow your lead and this will become a standard RPF build comparable to Luke's light sabre

20. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it!!

21. bish

bish New Member

I agree for not having worked with styrene you really did an awesome job and quickly. Does the counter work at all in the pictures it looks like it's lit up.

22. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

That is excellent!
    Are you on the Aliens Legacy forums as well? The Aliens Legacy

If not, get posting! Folk there'll love ya!

23. bogeyphobia99

bogeyphobia99 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is awesome man, great job!

24. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

I agree.

25. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MY WAAAAAANT!!!

Excellent build, sir, and a fun idea.

Somebody get Nerf on the line--pronto!

26. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is just too awesome! I was looking for inspiration for a project to do for my bro's birthday, this is it :thumbsup. He's a major Aliens fan and this would go down a treat.

Do you have any templates you could share, or did you work everything out for yourself as you went along?

27. superDrool

superDrool Sr Member

Wow. Color me impressed as well. Very smooth transition to the pulse rifle indeed. I want one now. :lol

28. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow that turned out great! I had to do a double take for a second lol

29. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Outstanding Quest!
    My grandson and I Nerf-War often, and he's gonna "spit a brick" when I come at him with one of those! I'm real new to styrene building, and so far my attempts haven't looked anywhere near that nice!
    Can you do up a set of plans for the scratch built parts?

30. quest

quest Member

Wow! Thanks everyone!!! I can't believe the response :)

To answer a few questions/comments:

yes, there is a shotgun handle, and it works. It just blends in with the rest of the gun, since I used the same color.

No, the counter doesn't work. I looked into using a real counter, and even considered using a digital clock (and just displaying the last 2 digits), but I ended up just Photoshoipping up the number and adding a bit of glow to the red and some white highlights for depth. I figured it was better to have something that looked lit up all the time, anyways.

Is the Recon hard to *? It's actually pretty easy, but I would make a slight change to the way I cut the top piece if i did this again. The way the shroud goes on, I have to put the cocker on last, so I can't screw it in like the Recon originally has it. If you put your palm over the front part and slide it works perfectly, but if you just grab from the back, the tabs in the front pop out of the mechanism. I might try rubbing some krazy glue on the pegs and popping them back in to see if that helps.

Templates? I mocked up most of the design in Flash (odd choice, I know, but I'm a Flash designer by trade, so am just used to working with the program). Some of the pieces worked right off the template, and others had to be changed. By the end, I was just printing them off as I needed them, with no real organisation, so I would have to go through it and try and figure out what everything was. For the shroud around the clip and launcher trigger, most of that is just eyeballed, as are the holes for the barrel and the gun body. Either way, I'll see if I can clean em up in the next few days and I'll post them on my site Mobius Designs once they are done.

And no, I haven't posted on Alienlegacy.com yet, but I'll check it out :)

Thanks again everyone! and I'm glad to see I've inspired a few other builds :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  31. weno

weno Member

very very impressed with this.. if you ever try to take it apart to make more you should definetely let me know .. if you make a kit or anything..

32. Firespray

Firespray Well-Known Member

Sweeeet!!!

33. quest

quest Member

weno: the way it is set up, you can actually take the whole thing apart. The fitment in the shroud is so tight that I didn't even bother glueing it on. Take off the stock and the barrel to get the top half of the shroud off, and pull the clip out to slide the bottom half off. Even without the clip in, the panels behind the round counter hold it in tight enough that it won't budge without a good, hard pull.

That being said, I doubt i'll ever make a kit. Better to just post the templates and let everyone have at it :)

Ooh, and if anyone's wondering about the paint, it's just good ol fashioned Krylon Camouflage in ultra flat black and olive drab.

34. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Absolutely brilliant work and more importantly, its brilliant out-of-the-box thinking.

Congratulations mate you've done a tremendous thing here and certainly inspired a number of people to emulate what you've done.

Highest regards

MARK

35. PumpMag

PumpMag Well-Known Member

Awesome. Can you please share on how to extend the nerf firing range on this? Thanks.

36. quest

quest Member

Thanks Mark :) I was actually amazed how well these 3 nerfs fit together with almost the exact dimensions of the real pulse rifle, with only minor modifications.

and Pump...there are a ton of tutorials on youtube that show you how to take the guns apart, modify them and put them back together. Basically, you drill the air restricter out, tighten the seal between the slidey bits, so no air escapes, and then stretch the spring out a tiny bit, so it has a bit more compression. You can also buy stronger springs to get massive shooting distances (80+ feet). The only note: you might have to add a bit of padding inside the larger tube, so it doesn't blow the back out when you shoot :)

37. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

Very nice. :thumbsup

Always enjoy seeing someone doing their own work and taking on a project with so much scratch building like this.

38. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can't wait for the templates, and thanks for considering doing them for us :)

39. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

The talent on here leaves me shaking my head. Incredible job, it is insanely cool!!

40. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful work!

41. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

42. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Absolute genius! Such a great example of how fun and unique this hobby can get! I'm really impressed with how well you pulled this off!

43. MML

MML Well-Known Member

I realise I may get thrown off the boards for saying this, but I think that design is cooler than the original!
    Brilliant work!!!

44. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

(psstt... I thought the same thing :lol )

45. whiteraven

whiteraven Active Member

Ok, if that appeared on the shelf at the local store, I'd buy it! That looks amazing, totally not NERF looking anymore.

46. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Do you take requests? I'd love to see what you could do using Nerf and building a Terminator 40 watt phased plasma rifle.

:cool:thumbsup

Thread rated 5 stars!

47. quest

quest Member

Haha! Thanks again everyone :) It's funny...I didn't really know what to expect before I painted the black parts (the original Nerf colors are a bit disorienting ;) ) but it really does have a pretty legit look to it.

Oneye: checked out the Terminator gun, and it's definitely doable with the leftover gun bits I have...I'm not familiar enough with the gun to want it on my wall though...if I was going to do anything, it would either be the rifle from Starship Troopers or something from District 9:)

48. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Does the pump-action single-shot dart chamber under the main barrel still fire? It doesn't have a trigger any more, but your build pic makes it look like the rest of the mechanism is in there.

49. quest

quest Member

^yup...I extended the trigger mechanism with a few pieces of styrene (2 duplicate pieces, glued together for strength), and carved a new trigger out of it. It looks something like this inside the gun:

______________==
    {

The "==" part is the notch that locks into the existing trigger mechanism, and the "{" is the new trigger.

so the new trigger is just in front of the clip, like in the movie version. The extended bit runs through the top part of the longshot front gun that I repositioned to the bottom of the launcher. I just had to cut a small notch into the front, bottom corner of the recon to fit the trigger in. It was a pretty tight fit to give it enough room to fit a finger in, and still have the travel to pull the trigger.

Hopefully some of that made sense ;)

50. Nerfenstein

Nerfenstein Active Member

I can't believe the awesomeness of this.

*bows*

Amazing, I have no other words.