Need some help IDing a model

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by BAlinger15, Oct 29, 2005.

1. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

Hey guys,

I know these pics aren't great, but this model is from an ILM production in the 80s. It is believed to be from Empire or Jedi, but I think it could be something else (Star Trek film?). It's about 6" long. It could also be a part of something else. Any ideas? Sorry for the crappy pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also interested in IDing these detail pieces...nooo clue what they're from.

[​IMG]

-Brandon

2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those detail pieces are casted AT-AT butt assemblies.

The top piece might be part of the rag tag fleet (to steal from BG) seen indisctinctly at the end of ESB. There are a lot of weird ships in those shots that are never seen again.

Certainly has the tells of an ILM ship...it's loaded with kit parts they used all the time.

3. BAlinger15

Thanks for the help Jay.

Which pieces are commonly used by ILMers?

Later,
    -Brandon

4. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd deifintely say it's from the ESB Rebel fleet... that thing practically screams TIE Bomber body conversion with a deck on it. Too bad about the blurred detail up front, though the shapes can be read.

5. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's almost all Saturn V parts, with what might be a Panther tank stuck on top.

6. bobbyfett

bobbyfett Active Member

I'm no expert, but it definitely feels like I've seen it at the end of ESB. I'll try to see if I can get a good screencap. :)

7. Clerval

A ship is seen pretty well that is close in shape, but the orientation of it in the film makes me wonder if these images may show her 'upside down', relative to how it appeared in the fly-bys, coming and going. I've got some screengrabs, but haven't done squat with my webspace, and they're too large for WC hosting. If no one else gets anything by Sunday night, I'll wrangle them up here. Fun little diversion this, thanks for posting it.

btw, anyone trying to tackle the little * from RotJ in the Hyperspace image group?
    (sorry, no, as it's a 'H' image, I won't post that one. Respect.)

8. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Airfix Saturn V, Bandai 1/48 Panther, Tamiya 1/35 8-Rad, Hasegawa 1/72 Morse Karl and 1/72 Leopold Rail Guns are some of the more popular kits used at ILM.

9. Krachenvogel

Krachenvogel Well-Known Member

In the top photo, the boxy piece on top is an upper hull from a Jagdpanther. If the whole assembly is about 6" long, the Jagdpanther is probably 1/76 or 1/72, but it could be the 1/48 Bandai. The trapezoidal bit sticking out the front appears to be the rear hull from the same kit, with some extra parts stuck on. The cylinders definitely look like Saturn V parts.

The lower left part in the "detail piece" photo appears to be based on an early T-34/76 turret top, with the large 1-piece hatch lid. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the 1/35 Tamiya 1941 version. There are a lot of other parts stuck on, though.

Edit: I dug out my Bandai Jagdpanther kit, and with the open hatch at the back of the casemate and the grill pattern on the engine deck, I'm fairly sure that's the Bandai hull in the photo.

10. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Brandon, did you check the garbage yet that the Stardestoyer dumps before jumping to Hyperspace in TESB?

There's also a really LARGE Snowspeeder engine in that garbage.

Tim

11. Chris Martin

Chris Martin Well-Known Member

The suspension parts are from the Tamiya Chieftain.

12. BAlinger15

Hey guys,

I'm very impressed at what you all were able to ID through those blurry photos.

I have checked the garbage dump scene as well as the Rebel fleet at the end of Empire and came up empty. Also looked through the Chronicles carefully and found no reference to this at all. I'm afraid it was likely just a background piece never seen clearly on screen. :-(

-Brandon

13. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

Hi Brandon, can you post a picture of the underside?
    George :)

14. Clerval

Checked it, not in there...

15. Clerval

Closest candidate, yet still off. Ah well... perhaps RotJ? OR, is anyone sure that this is from SW at all? I guess for IDing, this thread's done it's job. Would have been fun to nail the ship, though.[attachmentid=4752]

16. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

here is my thought
    the purple vents off the back of the russian su85
    the blue is a jagdtiger or jagdpanther the two are basically the same
    the green is the back end a german tank-very likely the jagdtiger
    the orange is saturn V
    these may not be completely accurate but it is a start now its just left to find what manufacturer and what scale
    simple as PIE

17. bobbyfett

bobbyfett Active Member

The knowledge on this board is incredible. You guys never cease to amaze me with parts identification. :)

18. Boba Flint

There is the hull of the Bandai 1/48 Jagdpanther, The rear of a Bandai 1/48 panther, one Ion engine form AMT's Darth Vader TIE, and the third stage from a Saturn V. Those parts appear to have been cut down and made shorter.

19. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

wow, that stuff looks exactly like the stuff I have in my garage....oh wait...

I'll see if I can get you guys some clearer pics of the "mystery ship"

20. saintg

saintg Well-Known Member

So, how are those clearer pictures coming along. This seems like a very interesting and easy weekend build.
    George :)

21. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've been really swamped with another project - you could call it a 1:1 scratchbuld -

http://www.cryogenesys.com/tc/tc_051.jpg

more pics & progress ( newest to oldest )

http://www.cryogenesys.com/tc/

We have only a week to finish it up.

22. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Your neighbors must love you ;)

23. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

Very sorry it took so long to get these up, I actually couldn't remember where I had put the model, and just found it in a box with another model today.

The model had come apart a long time ago, and I have not gotten around to repairing it, so I set it together to take the pics, but if something looks crooked, thats why.

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...y-ship/DSC04083
    http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...y-ship/DSC04078
    http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...y-ship/DSC04079
    http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...y-ship/DSC04080
    http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...y-ship/DSC04081
    http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery-...y-ship/DSC04082

24. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

Iceman,
    Besides the obvious 1/144 Saturn parts there are 1/48 Bandai Sherman and Tiger or jadgtiger. I need to pull them out to confirm the exact one but the 1/48 scale looks to be correct. A very easy to build ship BUT it will run you a bit for the 1/48 Bandai kits. The Sherman is a expensive kit at times:)

Mark

25. Krachenvogel

Well, that's not the Bandai Jagdpanther after all - looks to be a 1/76 one, probably either Matchbox or Nitto. The suspension piece in the gun opening and the ribbed rectangle in front of it are from the Fujimi 1/76 M30, as are the smaller ribbed panels on the sides. There are a couple of detail pieces from the Fujimi Jeep there, too, which is included in the M30 kit. The cylinders are definitely Saturn V parts. The little part on the very front is an engine from the MPC Vader TIE, left over from building the bomber, no doubt.

I we only knew what the heck this "ship" was, it would make a nice, cheap studio scale project .

26. Mycroft Holmes

I was just going through my Bandai kits while you typed. It's 1/76 scale and I know they had the Fujimi line on hand . Right tanks wrong scale :unsure

It's a quick build though :D

The Fujimi Sherman had the Willys jeep in it as a two pack.

Mark

27. Krachenvogel

The M30 is an ammo transport based on the Sherman chassis. It has the same suspension parts as the Sherman kit, along with the other parts I mentioned on this model.

Fujimi did have a Jagdpanther, too, I forgot about that one. That's probably what it is. It's definitely a Jagdpanther, not a Tiger or Jagdtiger - they are quite different.

28. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

I'd say the jadgpanther is correct, 1/72 or 1/76 being the right scale.

[​IMG]

This one is 1/76 but I cant say what manufacturer. Looks like both the hull and the rear plate were used.

Also, here are a couple ideas on other parts. Iceman, sorry to hijack your pic, please let me know if you want me to take it down.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps, I really hope someone gets a positive ID on what film this is from - its a cool little * :p

Dan

thanks wackychimp

29. Mycroft Holmes

Well, the Jagdpanther is not the 1/72 ESCI one. I have it and it's wrong details.
    I only have the M3A1 by Fujimi, Nitto and Hasegawa and they are not the halftrack in question. My feeling is it's the 1/76 Fujimi line. I have one of every Tamiya 1/35 Armor from the 70's so I'll have to dig out the Halftracks.

Mark

30. Boba Flint

Iceman, Thanks for those pics. I think I will tackle this project. I should have all the kits needed.

31. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

Well now you've inspired me to restore this one, of course without original reference photos we don't know if it's missing anything else .

32. Boba Flint

1138 was on the right track about the M16, but 1/35 scale is way to big. What is needed is the Fujimi 1/76 M3A1 Half track.

33. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Did anyone save pics of this model ?

34. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

which one Julien? Im interested too.

35. MonsieurTox

I dont know Jerry :lol The one which was discussed here ? Or maybe they are several models ? But they sounds like quick and original builds !

36. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

This is the only pic i could find, i wish i could find more or even a better pic.
    [​IMG]

37. MonsieurTox

Thanks Jerry, too bad we havent better pics, I think those would be good models to use left over parts from all those donor kits !

38. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

I realize this is an old thread, but here are the pics of the "Mystery ship" - "Mystery ship"

I still have it, BTW.

39. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow that would be so cool to see if this was screen used! thanks for sharing

40. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

So...... These are supposed assemblies from the Rebel TESB fleet?

The first ship in the pix Jerry posted has been on my want to do list for an age now..... Cool to see a new pic, may have to bite the bullet soon and interpret a build up.

Lee

41. MonsieurTox

Thank you very much, the pics are great !

It's an original ILM model ?

42. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

I was reviewing the thread and realized we never posted the story of how this model surfaced.

A friend of my family's started working for ILM shortly after Star Wars : a new hope. (Later, in the mid-1980's ,he got me a job there as well, but that's a different story)

He knew I was an avid kitbasher, and I was already doing models for print and commercial work, so he would bring by boxes of trash from the Model Shop, which consisted mostly of sprue runners with a few parts on each. There was also the occasional resin-cast pieces, either unneeded extras or bad casts. in one box of trash was this model, though in 3 pieces. I was able to restore it by examining the broken glue joints.

So there it is, it could have been a background ship, it may have been someones idle lunchtime project, we may never know. It did not have any armature mounting holes, and it was never wired for lights.

43. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahhh...thanks. That's what was missing. Now I get it. Cool story.

44. iceman

iceman Well-Known Member

It also may have been a protoype for something, there were a few of those floating around-

Here is a picture of my desk @ ILM, (sorry for the poor pic quality) if you look on the desk under the lamp, you'll see a small grey model -

http://www.cryogenesys.com/ilm/ilm_011.jpg

That was a protoype for the movie "Explorers" that was never used.

45. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thread... worthless... without... pics...

Neat story, nonetheless ;)

Michael

46. minifig

minifig Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

@ManfromNaboo - post #38 has link to pictures

minifig

47. MonsieurTox

Thanks for the info Ian ! An interesting little model that could be displayed with the TIE Bomber and the 2 despatch pods !

48. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Cool story, cool pic, that proto model looks VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    How i wish TESB was more documented in the model shop, so many of the models were in fact flash in the pan, quick and dirty, one shot wonders.....hell, even the Probe droid didnt get a great portfolio until recent years.

lee

49. almar bouwman

almar bouwman Well-Known Member

That's a nice little model to build. Wish we had these kind of pics of the Dornean gunship. Would make things a lot easier.

50. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

This was a fun thread to read! Thanks to those who described ID's in text and not missing images :)

I made a parts map with what I could find here. Let me know if I did anything wrong or anyone knows the last 2 ID's here. I can remove the image as well if I shouldn't have posted this.

background_ship_IDs.png

Scott Graham likes this.