Need Help with Foam Pepakura Stormtrooper Helmet

RoyEP3

Hello. This is my first time making a pepakura helmet, and I need help. I'm using 1/4" foam. I've assembled the helmet and am ready to move onto the next step, but not sure what to do. I've attached a photo for reference.

Obviously, I want to sand and smooth out all the edges, and I will need bondo to do that. And if I understand correctly, I will need to resin first before I bondo correct? Do I need to resin the inside? I kind of wanted the soft foam finish on the inside for a comfortable fit. And what type of resin should I use? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20141025_013027.jpg
    20141025_013027.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 364
I am sure that XRobots first sealed the foam with white glue (3 coats), then brushed on roto cast resin directly onto the part. As the resin cured, he would tilt and rotate the piece to ensure even coverage and no drips.

I am sure that XRobots first sealed the foam with white glue (3 coats), then brushed on roto cast resin directly onto the part. As the resin cured, he would tilt and rotate the piece to ensure even coverage and no drips.

Thanks. Do I have to seal both inside and outside the helmet? Or can I just seal the outside?

Also, I'd still want to bondo and sand out some surfaces. Is it okay to bondo over the surface of the roto cast?

Outside is all you need to do. Only the parts you are going to paint. White glue and water mixed 50/50 ish. You can also use plasti-dip. You can buy plast-idip in white....so that would speed things up. PLasti-dip is paintable..use krylon paints, they work. Others can cause problems on plasti-dip. If you use plasti-dip you do NOT need to do the white glue.

Have fun with your new helmet.

IF you are doing the rotocast...ignore the above. Pretty sure it was not rotocast. He used a different product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwQg6CX25A

Thanks wifuzzy. I'm going to try and follow the video.

When in this process do I do the bondo? I assume it's after I rotocast it? I'm having a difference in opinion with my girl friend because she seems to think rotocasting should be the last step before painting.

Will you not need to strengthen it first with fibreglass first? I've built foam helmets and also cardstock/resin/fibreglass helmets but I didn't realise you could put bondo straight onto foam. Interesting.

Will you not need to strengthen it first with fibreglass first? I've built foam helmets and also cardstock/resin/fibreglass helmets but I didn't realise you could put bondo straight onto foam. Interesting.

No, you're correct. I coated several coats of fiberglass before I bondo'd it. And for anyone curious, I ended up just using the fiberglass/bondo method over epoxy or plasti dip. Was messy but it does the job well. First time doing this before, and here is the result.

Before:
2014-11-11.jpg

After:
2014-11-01.jpg

Could have spent more time sanding but I had a deadline. Pretty happy with the results. Thanks for the help!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back