Need help finding a machine shop for sword blades...

savagesword

Hey gang,

Can anyone refer a machine shop that can make small runs of sword blanks from 3D model files (.STL)?

Last year I created 2D files and got turned down by 6 local machine shops. The one that said 'yes' keeps me at the bottom of the work queue and I still haven't got a finished part.:angry ....that's why my conan sword project isn't finished.

So I started searching again for CNC shops on the net. I found a few shops advertising instant quotes...etc... if you could give them a 3D model. So I bought Alibre Design and learned how to use it and BAMMM....I had my perfect 3D model. I sent it to 4 shops and was turned down by each of them.... too big, too different from regular work....etc..

I really thought it would be a no brainer to get this done...but I was wrong.

Now I'm trying to get quotes on simpler designs that require more hand grinding... so we'll see how that goes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, THANKS!!

PS: Don't fret about the conan project.....it will get done!!

It doesn't really help much, but part of the reason that you may be getting turned down is tooling issues. When Albion started working with their original machine shop (which they later bought out), they had to construct a custom machining fixture to be inserted into the machine. This is the large square bracket that holds the steel billets that you see on the "How it's Made" videos.

The original fixture for the 40" machine wasn't cheap, and Albion had to build a second one when they bought the 60" machine. Keep in mind, this is all for a 4th axis machine, and the shops you are contacting might not even have them.

Hi Jason, I remember you from the Sword Forum when I ran Barbarian Blades 7 years ago. Hope everything is going well!

Thanks for your comments. I've actually watched that video a lot and passed it around to shops...and you're exactly right...they're not set up to do this.

That's why I've started coming up with Plan G (i've already given up on A-F)...more hand grinding and minimal CNC work.

BTW: can you comment on the dust created by those big belt sanders for blade grinding? If you had one in your garage, what would you do to try and keep it 'clean'? I was thinking of a bucket for sparks, a small cyclone dust collector hooked up to a shop vac for floating dust, and wear a heavy duty face mask and safety glasses.

It doesn't really help much, but part of the reason that you may be getting turned down is tooling issues. When Albion started working with their original machine shop (which they later bought out), they had to construct a custom machining fixture to be inserted into the machine. This is the large square bracket that holds the steel billets that you see on the "How it's Made" videos.

The original fixture for the 40" machine wasn't cheap, and Albion had to build a second one when they bought the 60" machine. Keep in mind, this is all for a 4th axis machine, and the shops you are contacting might not even have them.

You pretty much nailed it on what you can do for the dust. After I left Albion, I had a shop at my old house before I enlisted in the Army 30 months ago. You really can't do much to contain the dust and it is a lot of cleaning, or setting up seperate clean and grinding rooms.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back