Need Gladiator screen grabs/ pub shots

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Tim Allen, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

My DVD player took a Cr@p on me so i cant get any screen shots and im not sure if this was ever displayed to the public but Im looking for any picture i can find of the Helmet Russle Crowe wore in the arena scene, right before he reveiled himself as Maximus. Its the helmet w/ the spikes on the dome and has 2 Mandible like fangs that come down in the front of the face. Any pictures of this would be greatly appricated as im going to be sculpting this fairly soon. Thx

-Tim

2. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

no body?

3. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Hopefully these will help you.

Left Side View
    [​IMG]

Rear View
    [​IMG]

Right Side View
    [​IMG]

Front Closeup
    [​IMG]

Front View
    [​IMG]

Top Down View
    [​IMG]

4. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

When you do screen caps from an anamorphic DVD, don't forget to do a "squeeze" to correct the aspect ratio. :)

5. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

whoa, how did you do that ?

could you explain further what a anamorphic DVD is and why THAT effect occurs...it always happens to me and bugs the snot out of me .

6. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

A regular TV screen has an aspect ratio of 4:3, that is, if the screen is 4" wide it is 3" tall (4/3=1.3333333333 or 1.33)

An HDTV screen is 16:9, if 16" wide it is 9" tall (16/9=1.777777777777 or 1.78)

An anamorphic DVD "assumes" that you are using an HDTV display that will electronically "squeeze" the image to fit in the 16:9 screen. To preserve the maximum resolution of the DVD, the image is placed on the DVD "stretched". A full explanation of this can be found at the following:

Anamorphic DVD Explanation

Anyway, if you capture the native image from the anamorphic DVD you will get a "stretched" picture. To fixed this you need to use a graphics program that will allow you to "fix" the aspect ratio of the captured picture. Remember that if the original aspect ration of the movie is greater than 16:9 (1.78), you will have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen capture, but don't remove those until you have first corrected the aspect ratio.

Example:

Original screen cap 720x480 (notice oval instead of circle)
    [​IMG]

Fixed screen cap 720x405 (1.78) notice proper shapes
    [​IMG]

In the graphics program I changed the image size from 720x480 to 720x405.

7. punisher

punisher Sr Member

I sculpted this a whle back to vacuform, its a very nifty design, I'm positive you will have fun sculpting this wonderful piece.

-Scott

8. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

Thx guys, that was some much needed help.

9. Ogibendogy

Ogibendogy Well-Known Member

Thanks Montagar, that's real helpful info.

10. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yup, . that's really good to know, I have always WONDERED how that worked.