Myst III: Exile: Releeshahn Linking Book Build (IN-PROGRESS)

TSqProductions

Hey everyone! It's been a while! (The last time I was here was when I wrote about completing my National Treasure Ocular Device prop build! I still have that! :D)

Well, Myst fans, for those of you who have wanted to make a replica of the linking book that leads to the new home of the D'ni, I have discovered what seems to be the original type of book used in the production of Myst III: Exile!

It happened by accident that I found this book, and my first discovery, while similar-looking, was a dud. It did not include the gilded edges, and the pages were lined instead of blank:

Hardcover Journals | Personalized Leather Journal

After slightly more research (i.e. it was on the same image page as the previous link), I found the book:

11'' Hardcover Manuscript Goatskin Leather

For the past month or so, I've been modeling the book's permanent security frame:
releeshahn book security frame 55.png

releeshahn book security frame 55-2.png

releeshahn book security frame 55-3.png

releeshahn book security frame 55-4.png

releeshahn book security frame 55-5.png

I'm hoping to design the lock for the frame soon. I have something simple in mind, but it requires a bit of geometry to figure out.

As you can see in the picture, I have also figured out the font of the cover, and made typeset blocks.

All of this will be 3D printed, some in multiple pieces (with joining segments) to accommodate the surface area of my 3D printer, then made into hollow investment-casting blocks. I plan to cast the entire frame (sans lock materials) out of aluminum, then discolor it with bleach.

At the moment, things are progressing slowly, but gradually, and I have an article that I wrote, then archived from Tumblr, that details my findings on the Myst props. I'm hoping to post it here soon.

Nice work, I'm a huge Myst fan ! I'm actually waiting for the Myst book replica from the last KickStarter of Cyan.

I've seen a lot of useful pictures about the myst props, but actually didn't archive most of them... should have... eh...

I'm looking forward to see what you found and discuss these. :D

Also, I did try a myst (pocket) book replica a few years ago (never finished though).

I can't wait to see more of your work !

MystBooks.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back