My Very Easy Method for Spotting Millennium Falcon Differences

Just making a modification to my first post

...about the Quad lasers....I don't think that the Quads were broken off the turret....I think they were modded to allow fibre optics to be added

attachment.jpg

J

Attachments

• Fibre.jpg
    Fibre.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 1,214
Do we know, though, that the fiber optics weren't there in ANH? Because I'm pretty sure they'd given up on that technique* after the first film.

(*for guns that is)

Do we know, though, that the fiber optics weren't there in ANH? Because I'm pretty sure they'd given up on that technique* after the first film.

(*for guns that is)

I can't be certain,...but the reference pics of the 5 footer at the time of ANH,....the quads are definitely on a fork gimbal, allowing the guns to swing to pretty good angles

attachment.php

Afterwards....possibly when she was being modded for ESB....the fork is missing & a rod/tube connects the Quad in a fixed position

ANH:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 21.54.54.png

Afterwards:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 21.53.22.png

J

Attachments

• 5 Footer beauty.jpg
    5 Footer beauty.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,237
Hm. It looks to me like the fibres in the cannon tips were present for Star Wars/ANH. But the tubes or wires or fibres visible today shoved in the back of the cannon assembly definitely weren't present then.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 22.01.07.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-21 at 22.00.44.png

Headlights

Just thought I'd mention that the headlights on the Falcon are only on when the pilots need to see where they are going. The only times the Falcon switches on headlights are when she enters the Asteroid cave/space slug in 'Empire' & when she enters the Death Star II tunnel in 'Jedi' (Disney Star Wars can do its own thing)
After the Falcon splits up from the rest of the squadron inside the Death Star II tunnel headlights are off again

EDIT: this also excludes the full size set which confuses things,....full size set of the X-Wings also has lights on wings etc

ESB

ESB Canyon.png
ESB before Cave.png
ESB Lights off 1.png
ESB Lights on 1.png

ROTJ

ROTJ Lights on 1.png
ROTJ Lights on 2.png

After Radar Dish.png
After Radar Dish 2.png
Shot at Reactor.png
Escape.png

J

Last edited:

Seeing as this got bumped, just noticed the gun port window frame is a more noticeable blue color after the ESB modification. So was it actually repainted or is it a trick of the photo? Because it almost looks similar to TIE blue that could've been loaded in an ILM airbrush when a touch up was needed. I don't want my ANH 5-footer Bandai PG Falcon to have an ESB modification on it. That would be heresy!

I had forgotten about this thread.
After just spending the last 5 months redoing that MPC Falcon and looking at pictures constantly of mainly the 5 footer, I can see so many little differences now. Still probably not as much as some of you guys.
At a quick glance, there are certain parts that really stand out. Mostly, the shape of the cockpit and that decal on the top of the 5 footer, which isn't there on the 32". I imagine that decal is not there because they couldn't find one in the smaller scale, but, just incase, wanted to know if anyone knows for certain.
I've not really looked over the studio model of the 32" that much, so not sure of what decals are there or not there.
Considering they didn't have any type of 3D printer to make perfect smaller size pieces, they did a pretty good job of rebuilding it in a a smaller scale, and with the whole time frame of knowing a movie needed to be filmed soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back