My Silent Running drone build

madmacs

Last year I was working on an industrial waterproof enclosure design for a customer. The design we went with was vaguely reminiscent of the Drones from Silent Running, so we named their first prototypes Huey Dewey and Louie. I decided to make my own enclosure based on the Drones from the movie and got a little carried away. I didn't have room for a full sized drone, and my printer is good sized, but not huge, so I scaled mine down.

I added some articulations, the font and side toes on each side will be able to tap, and rock the model back and fourth. Side vent will open and close, and there is a little flap in the face by the eye that will move. The Eye will be able to change color, and I will add some lights behind the grilles that can change color as well. I have installed provisions for some 3 inch speakers so I can make it a functional bluetooth speaker as well.

I posted the files on Thingiverse the other day. I continue to make updates to the files as the assembly process often warrants changes.
Silent Running Drone (Arduino Enclosure) by myyellowminicooper

LCCJuymgS+KGEmGgsjldBg.jpg

LCCJuymgS+KGEmGgsjldBg.jpg
ZhhqMhcfRJmybecRAF+qnw.jpg
I2NX6ZopTx6noSwj4Sw9lA.jpg
t7wLdy4jS%OAGs+NQCpCFA.jpg
yQWt6SYURjOw3QlrYbJI%Q.jpg
W5e29pljTouiymWO%xvfXQ.jpg

Nice, what did you use for plans?
I started with some STL files someone posted on Thingiverse that I can’t locate anymore. Really, I just used them for some scale reference. I wound up totally redesigning it in Fusion 360. It’s mostly scaled so I could print the parts on my 3D printer and Laser cutter.

I may flesh out designs for all 3, but I only plan on building the one, I’m going to totally revamp my Comedian costume next, then rebuild my Barbarella rifle in all metal, then I need to think about Halloween!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back