my preds changing colour?!

b0nd

i dont know what to quite make of this, but my pred is turning slightly brown (both the mask and skin).... lol i dont know what the hell it is, he is facing the window as there is nowhere else to put him but i always have the curtains shut during the day (as im at work anyway) just wondered if anyone else has this problem? and any ideas on how to stop it? im just thinking in a couple of months hes just not gonna have the colours he should have at all.

comparison:

this is what he looked like when i got him
p1dreaded.jpg

this was taken about a month ago, hes darker than this now! i will have to get some pics soon but you can definatley tell a diffence.

P1010332.jpg

There are a couple things that can alter the color.

Sunlight, heat, and of course the latex.

Not sure there is any way to stop it let alone reverse it, but maybe post a pic and we can see the difference...

Most people who have made masks for a while will recognize the gradually darkening orange color of unpainted latex masks.

What is actually happening is that the Beta Carotene which is naturally present in the rubber (yes, the same thing in carrots - remember that rubber comes from a plant) is coming out. When latex is exposed to light it begins to oxidize (rust) and will continue to do so as long as it has direct light exposure. The higher the level of antioxidant present in the rubber, the more resistant it will be to oxidation. For anyone interested in how long their castings will last, check the antioxidant level in the latex. For personal projects I always add in some extra antioxidant. It results in a mask that has vastly improved archival properties. We may at some point offer this to our customers to add into their latex if enough people are interested. It is a liquid dispersion that is very simple to add. It is also a nice selling point for mask makers to be able offer an archival quality mask or prop to collectors who want to know that their prized mask will still be there over time and not turn to a pile of dust.

Rubber casts that are painted will oxidize more slowly as long as some white is included in the paint. Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) is one of the best UV light blockers available. This is in part due to the fact the TiO2 reflects light rather than absorbing it. Another great UV block is Kryolon Crystal Clear. We have several master, latex prop models that have been sitting in our studio for over 16 years. Each was sprayed with CC. These models look as though they were made just yerterday. Not a hint of orange or oxidation. They also have plenty of extra antioxidant in the rubber. But I think it is largely due to the UV block/absorbers in the CC. Crystal Clear can crack when the mask is flexed. But for collectors pieces that are going to just sit on a shelf, a light coating of Crystal Clear can help keep a mask looking great for many years to come. It also keeps the colors looking vibrant and unfaded.

You can buy the antioxidant from http:/www.monstermakers.com

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back