My new custom EVS Concept Sinestro Corps Power Battery Prop! ^_^

Jack T Chance

Sr Member
Here's the latest addition to my collection...

some of you may remember back before the Sinestro Corps War storyline hit the pages of the Green Lantern comics, back when GL artist Ethan Van Sciver released some images from his sketchbook, showing preliminary designs for the Sinestro Corps members. I believe this was in 2006 or very early 2007.

One of the most memorable images we got from his sketchbook was this early, ultimately unused design for Sinestro's uniform and his power battery...

EVSconceptSinestroSmall.jpg

That battery might have remained an unused concept, just a footnote, but then Mattel decided to create it in (miniature) plastic form, to include with some of their DCUC Sinestro figures:

CustomSinestroBattery6.jpg

All of which led one fan to MAKE HIS OWN, which I've now purchased from him on the Bay of e! :D

CustomSinestroBattery1.jpg

CustomSinestroBattery2.jpg

CustomSinestroBattery3.jpg

CustomSinestroBattery4.jpg

CustomSinestroBattery5.jpg

All I know so far is that it has an LED light source, powered by a 9-volt battery. The lens is colored yellow, as well.

I'll be asking him for more info... what type of materials he made it with, what kind of paint he used, etc. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to be bothered to repaint it metallic gold. If I go that route, I'll need to figure out the best paint to use, and how to best protect the finish.

More pictures will be posted eventually, once it's arrived and I have time to photograph it.

The metallic gold would look really nice, you should go for it. Otherwise, that's a rather cool pickup! I hadn't seen that concept art before but I loved the storyline.

The metallic gold would look really nice, you should go for it. Otherwise, that's a rather cool pickup! I hadn't seen that concept art before but I loved the storyline.
I'm not sure how many have seen the concept art, but clearly the Four Horsemen did and took inspiration from it when designing the power battery accessory for that figure! :)

Also, Ethan Van Sciver saw my post of this over on the GL Corps Message Board, and has now shared it with the world on his Facebook page! :)

I finally emailed the Seller, and asked for more info. Here's the reply I received:
Dear {Jack T Chance},

the lantern itself is mostly plastic.. and I painted it with Fusion Spray Paint/sunny-safety yellow no need for a sealer as fusion paint bonds to plastics.. all you would need to do to repaint it would be to get 1000 grit sand paper from a auto store and lightly go over the whole lantern (except the lense of course) wipe away the dust, let dry and paint lightly building you coats as you spray..

I actually considered painting it metallic yellow but thought people would like the classic comic book yellow color.. glad you like it and glad it made it to you safe.. it was a lot of hard work and time making that thing.. positive feedback would be awesome thanks..

I sold the plans for this lantern not to long ago to a guy who said he was going to post them on his monthly green lantern pod cast??
So, that's all the info he's given on how he made it. I might invite him to these forums to share more info on this lantern and other prop projects that he's made.

I wonder which pod cast that info's going to be on? :confused

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back