My Mech Build

LeoFirebrand

After building the Catapult from Mechwarrior Online I wanted to build another mech. This time its from the online game Hawken. It's a fun mech game that has a strong action focus and I love the art style. I included a reference photo I found for the mech below so people know what it is supposed to look like. Sadly the conept art is missing the lower arms but it should give a good representation.

I also got a swann morton scalpel for christmas and have to say that I will never be able to go back to Xacto knifes. The blades dont chip and they hold their edge for a long time. Plus they dont pop out of the handle like Xacto knives do. I highly recommend getting a scalpel to anyone who has been doing this hobby for a while.

Well after a weekend of work here is were I am at currently:

Clean work. I have been getting the itch to try my hand at a mech. I have pursued hundreds of images now trying to find something I like. I might give this game a looksie and check it out.

Ashton

Have another update on the progress today. I have most of the main body done now. I still need to add some accent pieces but Im about 97% there. After this I will start work on the lower torso. I will say I am beginning to have serious doubts whether the mech will be able to stand on its own. I may have to work in a mounting rod somewhere.

You put these together at such an amazing pace and they always look so amazing. There has to be a secret to it lol

You put these together at such an amazing pace and they always look so amazing. There has to be a secret to it lol

I captured Santa and forced him to teach me the elf magic behind how he bends time to deliver all those toys in a single night.

But in all seriousness, thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know someone enjoys watching my builds. Sometimes it feels there is not alot of interest in paper modeles on this forum.

I captured Santa and forced him to teach me the elf magic behind how he bends time to deliver all those toys in a single night.

But in all seriousness, thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know someone enjoys watching my builds. Sometimes it feels there is not alot of interest in paper modeles on this forum.

I actually downloaded a bunch of paper models but my patience isn't what it was but now that i'm sticking to retro gaming stuff i may break out some of them.

The model has been moving along pretty quickly. I finished the upper and lower torsos. I am using bits of wire in addition to paper to add some of the detailing. Now to move on to the legs.

I finished the legs last night. I am happy with how fast this project has been moving. If I am lucky I will be able to start painting this weekend.

Great stuff! I was a huge fan of the old MechWarrior games... Do you plan to make a diorama at any stage? I can just imagine either a forested plane with a mech at either end "staring" each other down... or maybe a Mech bay with a pilot standing up admiring his mech.

Great build! Just because it's paper don't think it's not appreciated. You sir have some serious skills.

And thanks for the tip on the Morton Scalpel, I may have get one.

As I'm looking at some of the finer bits in this build all I can think to myself is "I could never have a steady enough hand to do this work."

Any tips for someone new to the hobby on working with tiny tiny details?

As I'm looking at some of the finer bits in this build all I can think to myself is "I could never have a steady enough hand to do this work."

Any tips for someone new to the hobby on working with tiny tiny details?

• Use a sharp blade. I love my new scalpel! While you can use an Xacto, you will find you have to change blades frequently.
  • For small cirlces and rivets you can use Leather hole punches. They come in all kinds of sizes and this way you can make perfect circles every time.
  • Use a stiff brush or an old dried out art marker for applying glue and for picking up and placing small items. Prisma/fiber castle markers work best b/c they have long slender marker tips. You can also use tweezers if you prefer.
  • When cutting out small details try to keep the piece attached to the sheet of card as long as possible. I normally cut inner details and work my way out. This way you have more surface to hold on to and the piece is less like to bend when cut.
  • Practice. On my site I have a claptrap model that has lots of small details so if you like borderlands you might try building it.

holy crap thats paper, amazing! looked through your web page, think i will give the claptrap a go, will let you know how it turns out.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back