My Jurassic Park display...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Montagar, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Here are some pictures of my Jurassic Park display.

Also, here is the link to an interactive flash presentation of my display that I put together for my prop web page (if I ever get enough time to put one together :D). Of course it requires that you have the flash player plugin for your browser, is best viewed with 1024x768 or higher resolution and the file is about 4.5MB so it might take a bit of time to load.

Jurassic Park Display Flash Presentation

JP Display

[​IMG]

Cryo-Can

[​IMG]

Raw Amber Piece

[​IMG]

Raptor Claw

[​IMG]

Jurassic Park Brochure

[​IMG]

2. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice display... and what a great job on your interactive presentation. The quality of the sound is excellent, and I love the "unlock" feature on the close-ups of the Cryo Can. :thumbsup

It looks as if the entire display is in a case. Might you be able to post a shot or two showing the entire display, including the case?

3. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Very nice display :thumbsup

Your JP collection is getting there :)

4. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

Thats really cool, Someday i have to get one of those Shaving Creme bottles whit DNA.

5. SG Merc

SG Merc Well-Known Member

Kudos on the interactive portfolio of your collection ... and for having such a killer collection to start with.

Nice job.

6. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Brilliant online presentation. :)

But where's your Hammond Cane and hard hat? :D

- Gabe

7. Montagar

Thanks guys...
    I definitely didn't want to skimp on the sound quality; the sounds are just too cool to mess up (that's the reason why the flash file is so big).

At the moment, I am trying to limit myself to items that can fit in the Detolf case so that I can have some reason to attempt to show some sort of restraint (like that is going to last long :lol).

[​IMG]

8. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Just a thought: you could take two of the glass shelves to a glass cutter and they could punch 2 clean round holes in the center or off to the side so you could insert your cane. I think that solution would be as much a conversation piece as the replica itself. :)

- Gabe

9. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Very nice. Love seeing JP displays.

10. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, your JP collection is in one compartment of a Detolf case? Excellent. Those cases seem to add elegance to whatever is in them. I've been waiting for Ikea to arrive here in Japan. The first branch is slated to open in Chiba Prefecture (not too far outside of Tokyo) later this year.

That's an ingenious idea. The Detolf would become an authentic "custom" display case and, as Gabe said, a conversation piece in itself. And if you do put holes for your cane through a shelf or two, you can expand your JP display into two compartments and have room for your hard hat and a couple of dinosaur eggs.

So much for showing restraint. :p

11. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

The only problem I see with the idea of cutting a couple of holes in the case to display this cane is, it would make it a pain if you wanted to take it out and handle it

12. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You could cut out a small 90 degree section from two shelves at the forward left or right edge big enough for the cane? This would allow the cane to be removed. This way it won't screw up a display on the other shelves as much as having a hole down the center of the shelves would. Now that I think of it I'm gonna do that with mine. Thanks Gabe. :thumbsup

[​IMG]

13. Montagar

Sure, now that I have all 20 shelves planned out in detail, you guys plant this seed. :wacko :D

14. SurferGeek

I know. Now I'm rethinking many of my shelves. I didn't want to hang my cane where the clear resin would touch anything as I've had clear resin react with things in the past, dulling the surface or even leaving minute indentations from sitting for long periods of time, although it could have been poorly cured or mixed resin. The shelf modification would be great as the amber top wouldn't touch anything other than maybe glass which is non-reactive.

I wonder how hard it would be to cut the glass myself? :confused

15. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a great idea.

16. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

:$

Thanks, guys. I was just "thinking outside the Detolf"... :p

Would love to see the final display if anyone goes that route.

Regarding protecting the "amber" on my cane, is there some sort of clear coat that I can either spray on or dip the "amber" in to create a hard, scratch-resistant surface?

- Gabe

17. SurferGeek

Future floor wax, thinned with a little water. Use some painters tape and mask off the top of the wood cane. Then just dip and when it has stopped dripping, tip over and allow to dry away from air drafts and dust.

Won't ruin the amber and can be cleaned off if you change your mind.

Disclaimer. I've used this process in the past with sucess but make no claim to it's safety or suitability for this particular application. I'm not responsible for any harm that may come to your piece. Seriously.

18. Montagar

Oh and BTW Prop Runner, one of the remaining 19 spaces is reserved for a certain blaster, but I don't think that you would want the cane cutting through that location. :p :D

19. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love the display...I have hammond's cane the maps and a hardhat on the way...
    Just need to figure out a way to display it...
    I like the map background, I may have to steal that idea :)
    mike

20. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's nice :love

It's almost enough to make me want to start a JP collection (my name is already down for the amber chunk). :)

21. Montagar

Thanks, I had the display all set up but it was just missing one more piece and since I couldn't fit a hardhat or cane so I came up with the idea of the amber chunk from the beginning of the movie. So I contacted Mxlplx (who had just finished up with the cane tops) and asked him if his guy could make the amber chunk and he was all over it. It was the perfect item to fit in the display.

22. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

Great JP collection.

I have a some JP replicas that is released from Icons.

Velociraptor Claw and Egg.

23. Montagar

Thanks, I would like to get a velociraptor egg; I think that is about the only thing left that I could fit on that self without it looking too crowded.

Also, for anyone that decides to check out the flash presentation, don't forget to try the icons on the map (many but not all have audio associated with them).

24. Montagar

Glad you like it, steal away. :D

25. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

Montagar, where did you get the PILE of brochures? I could really use an extra one for my display...

26. Montagar

I had the idea for this display with the map opened in the background and other brochures "strewn" about a long time ago. So when RPF member Ashfrank had the brochures made and offered them back in June of '05, I jumped at the chance to get a "PILE" of them. :D

27. SurferGeek

I think Ashfrank ended up selling the rest of his stock at the end of the year to Philippes. Could be wrong...

28. Montagar

You are correct, I had forgotten to mention that.

29. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

Yeah, the one brochure I have came with my cryo-can from Philippes. I guess I'll email him to see if he would sell an extra brochure seperately. Thanks for the responses.

Oh by the way Montagar, I saw your Lord of the Rings shelf picture from your Detolf case in the other thread. It looks like you have a talent for displaying things really well on those shelves. I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of your whole case(s)....

30. Montagar

Thanks, since I don't really have painting or sculpting skills, I do what I can. :)

I am in the process of reworking all of my stuff into 5 Detolf cases (that's 20 display spaces. :love). The Jurassic Park display is the first one that I have completely (whatever that means ;)) finished and I will post pics of others as I finish them.

The LOTR display is actually awaiting some major additions and that will be the next display that I will probably finish. The ultimate goal is to put up a web site that will show all of the displays with flash presentations for each (like the one included in this thread).