My first clay sculpture!

JoeSomebody369

Hey guys so I just got all my materials today and I've never used clay before i'm not really the artsy type but I wanted to try making my own mask so after 6 hours here is how my first sculpture came out! every thing was sculpted by hand except for the spikes on the head i used a sculpting tool, used some pencils to support the jaw, and also added the circles in the back for where i plan to insert dread locks! like i said my first time using clay so i'm very excited for it to air dry and i can put some RD 407 masking latex on it!!!!! however this won't be my last mask I hope to improve to sculpt better predator heads in the future! Also would love some feed back and suggestions I have alot of room for improvement and all of you guys have been such a big help answering all my questions when i first joined THL

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to start somewhere and well done for having a go. 6 hours isn't much time to spend on a mask so you're probably further on than I would be after this time. Two paths you can take, first being, call this sculpt finished as it's your first attempt and proceed as you said. Secondly spend some more time refining it as it still looks a bit rough, but not bad for a first attempt. Although it wouldn't win any prizes it does look like a Predator and that's the real objective. I would tend to favour the firat route ie call it a day with this one and then have another go learning from the first attempt. If you have enough clay and in no hurry I would hold off making the mask until you see the results of the two sculpts. (think that's 3 routes)
Keep at it, sculpting is great fun and Predator is just damn cool.

PS You need to take some clearer photos as it's difficult to see any detail. This lets us see your work better, but more importantly photos quite often show up symmetry errors/defects etc. you miss form the live model.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back