My ANH DL-44 Build

sillysibling4

This is my first real prop replica, I've had a few decent looking toys and a couple uncannon lightsabers from Saberforge, but never anything like this. Also I'd already done a little bit of work before I decided to post it on here, so this isn't quite from the beginning.

I decided very quickly that I wanted the ANH version, I tend to be a bit biased towards props from Empire, but I couldn't deny how iconic this one is. I started looking into making a DL-44 around January, just after the first image of the art for the Solo Lego sets leaked. I haven't read very much of the official DL-44 thread, but between various build threads here, and the Tested build, I've got the gist of it. I started ordering parts mid-February, and just got the last of them on the twenty-fifth.

I'm using a Denix base, which I got from The Custom Saber Shop with wooden grips, and they had already removed the Denix diamond, the ring on the bottom, and moved the slider on the sight, which is all the necessary preparation I'm aware of. I got the scope, scope mount, and the general accessories kit from Todd's Costumes, but after looking at the grill they sent, I've decided to go with a 3d printed one, (which I haven't acquired just yet) as I don't think I can cut it right, and I'm not fond of the rough way it looks on the completed blaster. I'm a bit unsure what I'll use for the mystery disk right now, I have a metal disk with adhesive on the back that I got for a phone holder, but it looks like it's gonna be too big, I'm definitely open to any suggestions y'all've got.

I started with adding a bit of paint to the rings on the ends of the scope, and the top dial, as it was weathered to a point where you could barely see any bronze at all, and what you could see was through the black paint. The flash hider came in black, so I painted that next, I took some silver and a few washes that I had on hand. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, I feel like my crappy painting skills actually worked with me on it.

None of the parts came with instructions, so next I started piecing together the scope mount and the barrel, which was pretty straightforward though I'm not gonna be too specific with how I did it, as the mounting collar was a bit tight in the flash hider and I may or may not have taken a hammer to it once or twice or four times before I got it lined up right, so I'm not a good example of how to do it properly.

That's all I've done for now, I'm waiting on my friend who's a bit handier than me for cutting the barrel and mounting the scope, but I should have that done by Wednesday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, also feel free show your DL-44s for comparison. Also, pardon the poor photo quality, my Amazon Fire is the best I've got for getting them on here.

IMG_20180429_142736.jpgIMG_20180429_142947.jpg

Welcome to the club. I would strongly suggest you rework the Denix base to make it less clunky and it also makes a world of difference to the end result. It might also be a good idea to replace the black screws on the handle with brass Escutcheon Screws (I believe there are upgrades available).

Good luck, I hope its an enjoyable ride..

MARK

Welcome to the club. I would strongly suggest you rework the Denix base to make it less clunky and it also makes a world of difference to the end result.

Mark, you may want to be more specific as this comment is rather vague.

He means that you should file, mill the extractor and recessed areas, and sand down the Denix to remove soft edges and pitting from the surface. The Denix looks like a replica, but you can make it look like a real gun with some work. Also, the grill they sent you, you should have gotten three of those cylinders, the grill is made from all three, you have to cut them up and glue them together.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest challenges you will have is mating the Todd's bull barrel with the Denix. To do it correctly you will have to cut the Denix barrel and drill and tap for Todd's threaded bull barrel. There are sleeve options out there that might be more practical.

I always found replacement grips a good idea. The Denix grips are very flat and the gun feels uncomfortable to hold. regular mauser grips with lots of lines on them have a slightly domed palm area that balances the weight of the gun in your hand.

(not the 1930s/bb gun grips that have like 6 lines)

Okay, so, we ran into all sorts of difficulties. You're right H0llyw00d, the drilling and threading is a huge pain. we're just now figuring out exactly how to do it. We're using a 1/2-28 tap, and it took plenty of trial and error to get that.
Thanks Mark, for those suggestions, I'm looking into getting some Escutcheons, but I'm not gonna try to rework the Denix, I'm just not confident enough that I won't seriously mess it up.

I've got the scope mount on, and we've done a test run on the barrel, we're gonna saw it off and finish drilling in soon. Thank you newmagrathea for clearing up the grills, that makes much more sense. I did cut 'em up and try 'em out, but I didn't do too well so I think I'm still gonna get one from Shapeways.

IMG_20180609_211415.jpg

Alright, another quick update. Cut it again closer this time, we're gonna do the final cut soon.
Still looking into a new grill, mystery disc, and some Escutcheon screws.
Also, I got a simple leather holster off Etsy.

IMG_20180611_202109.jpg
IMG_20180611_202134.jpg
il_570xN.1307333052_7e00.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back