MR Communicator mid-plate replacement

Intercraft

Hello. I have an MR communicator with a misshapen mid-plate -- it's biased to the left side and bulges out on the right around the middle of the replica, ruining the symmetry. Seeking counsel on where I might obtain a replacement plate or perhaps have a new one fabricated. Thanks, all.

Hello. I have an MR communicator with a misshapen mid-plate -- it's biased to the left side and bulges out on the right around the middle of the replica, ruining the symmetry. Seeking counsel on where I might obtain a replacement plate or perhaps have a new one fabricated. Thanks, all.

1st off welcome to the rpf ;)

2nd if you could provide a picture of the comm showing mid plate misalignment, that would be nice.

We can go from there :cool

Yes -- I had considered filing it down but was a little nervous doing it myself.
And the lower right edge ideally should be built up a bit.
Here's a picture for reference:

midplate.jpg

Thanks for your advice.

Rob's right -- There's really no seamless way to build that up -- short of replacing the entire plate (not a big deal), filling down those high spots to match the low spots is really all you can do.

I would try to fabricate a new plate before altering the original one. If you ever decide to sell it (right now it may seem like an impossibility, but it's funny how the world does move on) you can include the original unaltered plate. What is it .080 thick? It would be easy as pie to make one. Even if you only had a stone knife to cut it out and a buckskin to sand it down.

Edit: Ok 1/16 or 0.0625...my bad.

Last edited:
quarryman has a good point about preserving the original part, and making a new plate isn't very tough. But looking at your pic, if I were to mod the plate I'd file down the lower left corner only.

Thank you all for weighing in -- I know this is where folks go to sweat the details!
I did take apart the comm and there's not really a way to realign the plate -- the placement of screw holes governs where it sits relative to the shell.
Would anyone have a suggested resource for a fabricator?

wouldn't it be better to just oblong the existing holes so that you can move the plate to the proper position?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back