Movies that make you cry.

There's lots of movies that have made me cry, like, once or twice, but the ones that can do it reliably:

The "take my hand" scene from The Lego Movie
Yondu's funeral in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
The final V.O. in Stranger Than Fiction
The execution in The Green Mile
The brachiosaurus scene in Jurassic Park

The interviews with the soldiers from Easy company before episodes of Band of Brothers would start. I swear to god, the one where the real Dick Winters tears up makes me cry every damn time. WW2 stuff gets me though. But those interviews. Whew.

When I saw Old Yeller when I was a kid, I cried my head off too. Also, tried not to tear up at Yondu's funeral.....totally failed.
'Granpa we're you a hero in the war......Grandpa says.....no....but I served in a company of heroes.'
I'm in bits.......

Don't really remember proper crying but there are a couple of scenes that get me really emotional and can jerk a tear...
Back to the Future:
"Thanks..."
"Thank you!"
*hugs*
"See you in about 30 years!"
"I hope so..."

Amelie when she starts baking a cake in the end, hears the curtains rustle but realizes it's just the cat...

Alien 3 each time the Lento theme is played and someone goes into the furnace...

Grumpy Old Men when Max is asked if he's friend or relative...

Gonna veer a bit off-topic but I recently finished the Witcher 3. I never did properly tear up during a movie, maybe once or twice, but the scene when Geralt finally finds Ciri opens the taps like a flick of a switch even after seeing it multiple times.

Don't really remember proper crying but there are a couple of scenes that get me really emotional and can jerk a tear...
Back to the Future:
"Thanks..."
"Thank you!"
*hugs*
"See you in about 30 years!"
"I hope so..."

Amelie when she starts baking a cake in the end, hears the curtains rustle but realizes it's just the cat...

Alien 3 each time the Lento theme is played and someone goes into the furnace...

Grumpy Old Men when Max is asked if he's friend or relative...

Gonna veer a bit off-topic but I recently finished the Witcher 3. I never did properly tear up during a movie, maybe once or twice, but the scene when Geralt finally finds Ciri opens the taps like a flick of a switch even after seeing it multiple times.
…and here I thought I was the only one who felt that in Grumpy Old Men, same scene. Gets me all the time.

For me, guaranteed to bring me down, it's the end scene of E.T. going home, "I'll be, right here". Then tied to the John Williams score. Amazing!

Or the end of Harry Potter DH part 2, the ending/epilogue scene, last shot of the main three as it closes to yet another John Williams based score.

Also the older Superman films closing credits for some reason, maybe out of nostalgia, I get sentimental with that amazing John Williams score.

… I just realized, it is in fact John Williams that makes me cry. Damn you John! :lol:

John Wick when they killed His Beagle. I can understand His actions.

I don't remember the title but it was a indie movie with Harvey Keitel and Steve Buscemi taking place in Auschwitz. It showed the cruelty of the Nazis and what that cruelty did the inmates do just to survive. It was hard to watch, especially when it took place in your home country.

Follow me boys - when Fred Mac Murray has to retire as scoutmaster and the whole town shows up to throw him a parade - 60s version of me Holland’s opus!

Only two movies have ever made me cry, “The Patriot” and the scene in “I Am Legend” where he has to kill his dog, which i saw in theaters.

Not a movie but a tv show. Nestor The Long Eared Christmas Donkey. That scene where his mother froze to death. As a kid, that scene took me to the cleaners. Still does.

The opening sequence of UP, with a few more spots here and there through the film.

The final minute of so of Monsters Inc., beginning at the point where the light on Boo’s door comes back on. That sequence — and especially that very last shot — is probably the single most perfect ending to a film I have ever seen. Gives you everything you need to see, and not a bit more.

The climactic scene of Toy Story 3, continuing into the last scene when Andy gives his toys to Bonnie, and the two of them spend time playing together in her yard. The toys all have their normal, unchanging expressions as the camera focuses on them having one last play session with Andy and their first with Bonnie, but I swear I can see all kinds of complex emotions on their faces, nonetheless.

The scene in Inside Out where Bing Bong sacrifices himself so that Joy can escape the Memory Dump and try to (essentially) save Riley. Riley is more important than anything else to Bing Bong, even though his remaining in the Memory Dump means that not only can Riley never appreciate his sacrifice (not really possible under any circumstances), it means that she will never again remember him at all. Self-sacrificial love is a powerful thing.

Lilo & Stitch — I love, love LOVE this film! I’ve seen it at least two dozen times, and it never fails to get to me. The first point comes early in the film, where Lilo is hurt because her “friends” leave while she is talking about her homemade doll, and she throws it down in disgust and walks away, then comes running back moments later to retrieve the doll and hugs it tightly because, at that point, she feels that it is the only friend she has. Other moments that get me later include the aftermath of Lilo’s fight with her sister Nani, when Lilo tearfully asks if Nani likes her more than she would a pet rabbit, and when Stitch leaves Lilo for her own safety. He ventures out into the forest with her copy of The Ugly Duckling, where he emulates the duckling in the story, crying out “I’m lost!” in hope of finding a family of his own as well.

Mary Poppins, which I am not ashamed to admit is my favorite movie of all time, period. The scene where Mr. Banks finally articulates to Bert how Mary Poppins’ presence in his and his family’s lives has so shaken up his view of the world, and then Bert finally, gently, makes him open his eyes to what is really important. When Bert sings about Mr. Banks and his children, with lyrics that illustrate that Mr. Banks gives them little attention because he is too focused on his work responsibilities, and that “he hasn’t time to dry their tears” — then warns that while he is concentrating on work, “childhood slips, like sand through a sieve” and “pretty soon they’re up and grown, and then they’ve flown*, and it’s too late for you to give.” I have loved this film since I first saw it on network TV when I was 15 (not exactly the typical target for a 1960s movie musical fantasy), but this scene takes on so much added resonance now that I have two boys of my own, who are growing up at warp speed. There are other parts of this movie that make me feel so deeply that I cannot keep tears at bay — some for joy and some for sorrow — but this is the core of the story for me. Incidentally, I enjoyed the Disney film about the making of the movie (Saving Mr. Banks), but despite how it has been characterized as a somewhat sanitized view of the conflict between author P.L. Travers and Walt Disney, in my opinion that movie makes Travers come off looking better than reality does. The movie depicts Travers having to educate Disney on the idea that the story is really about Mr. Banks, but that’s hogwash. Anyone who has read the original Mary Poppins stories knows that the parents are barely mentioned therein at all, and IIRC, there is no mention whatsoever of Mr. Banks working — or even doing anything at all. As best I can recall, he only has a line or two of dialogue in them. What little we do see of the parents in the stories seems to suggest they might be as quirky as all the other characters are, with Mr. Banks certainly not the stuffy, straitlaced banker seen in the film.

*A line I only recently realized ties back perfectly to Mary Poppins’ own song “Feed the Birds,” from earlier in the film.

The ending of Revenge of the Sith, beginning at the point where Anakin reports to Mace Windu that Palpatine may be the Sith Lord they’ve been seeking. Knowing beforehand where the story had to go didn’t stop me from irrationally wishing that Anakin might somehow find another path.

The final scene from The Shawshank Redemption, with Morgan Freeman’s voiceover dialogue lifted almost verbatim from Stephen King’s short novel, and that very last line summing up perfectly the point of the whole film/book — “I hope.”

From television:

The end of Fringe, when Peter Bishop (silently) tells his father Walter that he loves him, knowing that the latter is effectively sacrificing himself because they will never be able to see one another again (although the final shot of the series calls that into question).

Star Trek: The Next Generation’s “The Offspring,” for this exchange at the end:

LAL: “I love you, Father."
DATA: ”I wish I could feel it with you."
LAL: ”I will feel it for both of us. Thank you for my life.”

The series finale of M*A*S*H, especially for the scene where Winchester realizes the North Korean military musicians he had essentially tutored earlier in the episode had all subsequently been killed, ending his own ability to find solace in music, and then especially for the moment where Hawkeye and B.J. give Colonel Potter a genuine, heartfelt, proper salute.

The finale of Lost, a series I loved deeply from the very beginning to the very end.

I’m sure I will remember more later.

I’m a sap. I’ve known that for a long time. I also decided almost as long ago that not only am I okay with that, it is one of the things about myself I like most.

SSB

Last edited:
Late to this party, but I think I've cried enough times during SG-1.

I should've known that was going to become a thing when my husband introduced me to the franchise last June. We saw the movie first and I fell in love with Kawalsky. Ahhaa, yeeeaah, big mistake come the first two SG-1 episodes.

Then there was Martouf/Lantash. And Narim. Daniel's death/first Ascension. Jonas leaving had me going. Don't get me started on Jacob Carter. Most recently was Pendergast. I was already not liking season 9 (and we haven't started 10 yet).

Battlestar Galactica was a tear-fest, too. I still cry thinking about Roslin talking with the dying woman about crossing the river after death.

As far as movies go, Shawshank comes to mind, namely Andy's "Get busy living" speech. I used it as my yearbook quote three years ago and I'm seriously thinking about having the quote tattooed on my left arm.

A scene in Quigley Down Under: While hiding out with “Crazy Cora”, she tells him about accidentally smothering her baby to keep the baby quiet while hiding from an Indian attack while her husband was away. When the husband returned and found out that his baby son was dead, he whisked Cory off (without saying a single word during the trip) and abandoned her and never looked back at her as he departed. When Quigley has to leave her to face his adversary, she fears that she will never see him again and when he takes off on horseback, he goes a short distance and purposely stops to look back at her, making sure she sees him do so...Getting a little choked up just writing this...

Last edited:
Pay It Forward. Gravity. Good Will Hunting. Titanic.
Plus any movie where the pet dies at the end almost always makes me bawl, as played-out and predictable as it may be.

The Shawkshank Redemption - Red's monologue on the way to see Andy in Zihuantanejo:

I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back