Model commission work

BobaFett6215

Hello everyone. I’m thinking about starting to do commission work and was just wondering for those who have done commission work once the model is completed how does one package it up to ship back to the client with out it getting damaged?

Hello everyone. I’m thinking about starting to do commission work and was just wondering for those who have done commission work once the model is completed how does one package it up to ship back to the client with out it getting damaged?
Depends on the model...but the rules are simply 3 major things: lots of bubble wrap/foam popcorn, tape and a sturdy box (that could be opened easily by Custom (in case). You can also add braces (cardboard/wood/foam strips) around the model) to make sure it doesn't move from one side of the box to the other during transport (wings/landing gears/missiles/rockets, etc...)
Boxes should be customized according to the model you want to ship: sturdy cardboard/MDF/plastic, etc...
Good luck;)

I've been shipping commission models for 20+ years all over the world. Joberg is correct about "depends on the type of model" .
When I ship aircraft, there is landing gear, ailerons pointy things etc. etc. poking out everywhere. so i 'float' it in polyester fill (looks like clouds) then i put it in a box inside another box.
But if it is large and heavy, then I add bracing and strategically place tape. The larger the model, the LESS room for movement. Always allow 1 to 2 inches around the model for the shipping company's poor handling practices.
I always tell the recipient that 'things may break, have a bottle of super-glue to repair".
That's my 2 cents. !!

Its sad todays shipping has gone out the window drop kicking a package into the back of a truck me and that fellow had some words I was locked and loaded for some high kicking if I had to but walked away shaking my head

I cut out some foam to keep it snug, then put small parts in individual baggies

Here is an example of the foam I cut

1684778029430.png

1684778112424.png

not pictured was a cut out I added for the baggies with the extra parts and small parts.

I also added more foam on top to fill up the rest of the box when the box top was closed

I try to put them in the original box if I can. The Bandai Star Wars stuff for example can often fit in the box it came in, at least width wise

But if it will not fit I will just find an appropriate sized box

I then put that box into the shipping box with lots of bubble wrap or similar packing material

If there are very delicate or bendy parts like the guns on an X-Wing for example, I might not glue those on, and keep them separate. Of if something large can be built in easily put together sub assemblies that can be quickly snapped together or glued and do not leave any unsightly gaps I will leave those as separate pieces

Last edited:
The guys above are all singing from the same hymn sheet, one other thing I was told many years ago was build the model as strong as you can, having done some very large pieces fro the sci fi museum at milton keynes I have been lucky enough to have them collect the model and I have helped them load them up for transport, well wrapped with as they guys have said plenty of bobble wrap and strong cardboard. Just go for it and have fun and I hope that you get many commissions in the future .

regards Barrie ( the old guy ) if you need help with anything else let me know us model guys have to stick together .....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back