Michael Bay

Think your missing the point. The original star wars and original xmen were good. They dont make money just based on a franchise in my opinion. Sure the first one maybe. But your examples both had good movies before them. THATS what made them money. They were pre/sequals. So people expected them to be as good. Where as people are sayin all the tf movies suck. So there was no first one to keep coming back. if you get what im saying? Its a bit early!

When the first TF movie came out, everyone I know told me it was cool. When I asked why, every one of them, this includes some male and female, young and older, movie fan and not, they all had basically the same answer: "It's worth going to see it for the SFX."

With TF Michael Bay was handed a slam-dunk hit on a silver platter. All he had to do was not completely trainwreck it and success was guaranteed. So he produced something that was as good as the sum of the parts + a HEAVY layer of audio/visual/CGI glitz. Not any better. That is my point.

What MB does is not creative filmmaking. He assembles pre-fabricated blockbuster movie kits out of a box. As if he's building IKEA furniture. It's ridiculous that he gets credit for making any of these movies into hits.

Last edited:
Give a bunch of other filmmakers his resources and watch them make hits too. But a big part of that pool of resources is the specific projects themselves and the hundreds of millions of dollars, like I keep saying.

Giving MB "Transformers" and giving some other filmmaker "GI Joe" is not the same thing. They were both similar 1980s toy-selling cartoons but they did not have the same commercial prospects when remade in modern times. TF was a built-in hit just because the raw idea was more marketable today. Nobody was going to tell their friends that GIJ was worth seeing for the SFX even if the movie sucked.

At least some other filmmakers would do worse than MB, I will concede that. But that would be more a product of getting weird or artsy in the wrong way. Tim Burton has no business making a Transformers movie for example. But that big difference is because Burton would be particularly UN-suited for it, not because Michael Bay is doing a more creative job than average.

Sometimes just assembling something as designed puts you ahead of people who try to get creative with it and botch it up even worse. (the stillborn 1990s Superman movie with Nic Cage, wearing no Superman outfit, fighting a giant robotic spider . . . ) This is why the big studios hire Michael Bay; because he won't botch it with creativity in the wrong way. He just won't add any creativity at all. He will guarantee that a winning set of parts gets assembled into a winner. No better, no worse, no more creative.

Last edited:
So in your world, the only talent Bay has, is the ability to make sure fire blockbuster hits?

Yet somehow this isn't a talent in and of itself?

He will guarantee that a winning set of parts gets assembled into a winner. No better, no worse, no more creative.

He doesn't have the ability to make hits.

Wait.... what!?

Hits and winners..... kind of the same thing.

I think some people expect far too much from a movie about robots that turn into cars. Its NEVER been that creative. Its a popcorn movie. Go watch it. Relax. Turn off and enjoy. You may still not like it. Fair enough. They do still have their issues. Racism is not one that I accept btw. But I wont continue to discuss as I prefer to stay away from the race card. Its a losing battle from the start. Movies being good is an opinion which everyone is entitled to. But I dont think getting creative and taking risks and transformers should really be used together. What risks would be taken? Not putting any robots in? Theyre not deep films no..... but the kids love it. Me... im a big kid!

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Look, cinema is all about providing entertainment for a paying public and its difficult to argue that there isn't a huge audience out there that finds Michael Bay films do exactly that for them. He’s never yet had a total box office disaster, even “The Island” made back its production costs .
The curious thing was that “The Island” was perhaps his best attempt at a sci fi film that had the bones of an interesting story in it and yet it was his biggest failure. And lets put that “failure” into some context. It still made $40 million over its costs. But compared to the staggering amounts of money ,literally billions at the box office that all his other films have made , indications are that the industry and audiences love him , if not the critics and any one in search of something more substantially interesting than things going just blowing up in a film.
Transformers Extinction proves the point. Derided by everyone its still packing them in worldwide and racking up the millions. Because the people who want nothing more from a movie than a juvenile rock n roll blast of big monsters, huge disasters and possibly lasting ear damage are getting exactly that. Bay is a Heavy Metal film artist in every sense of the word and that’s his target audience. Some people actually enjoy being smacked about the ears and eyes rather than sitting quietly observing and thinking about the films message.
I’ll be honest ,I found “Badboys”, “ The Rock” and “Armageddon” fun, particularly after a drink, and even the first “Transformers” was entertainingly good enough ,particularly for the effects and unlikely vision of Megan Fox trying to tune an engine.
And that’s all a lot of Bay fans want from his films, just the fast spectacle and nothing else to worry themselves about except the fun park ride. And if he keeps making millions from them he’s never going to change his style because that’s what the market demands he does.

Wait.... what!?

Hits and winners..... kind of the same thing.

I think some people expect far too much from a movie about robots that turn into cars. Its NEVER been that creative. Its a popcorn movie. Go watch it. Relax. Turn off and enjoy. You may still not like it. Fair enough. They do still have their issues. Racism is not one that I accept btw. But I wont continue to discuss as I prefer to stay away from the race card. Its a losing battle from the start. Movies being good is an opinion which everyone is entitled to. But I dont think getting creative and taking risks and transformers should really be used together. What risks would be taken? Not putting any robots in? Theyre not deep films no..... but the kids love it. Me... im a big kid!

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I think I get what batguy is talking about. Allow me to try to paraphrase.

Michael Bay is a solid workman in the sense that, if you give him the parts and tell him what you want, he'll build it for you and it will work right. But Michael Bay is not a storyteller nor a creator. He doesn't invent things on his own, he doesn't come up with stories to tell people. What he does is more technical, and in that sense, he's quite talented. He knows how to run a production team. He knows how to shoot action sequences. He knows how to supervise the development of a big action movie with lots of explosions. And he knows how to make movies that appeal to audiences. Even people who absolutely despise Bay have to admit he's extremely good at those things.
But look at what I just described. All of those things are technical skills rather than creative skills. There's no artistry involved, no creative interest, etc. It's the difference between a really good house painter and a mural painter. It's the difference between being able to take a "paint-by-numbers" picture and make it look great vs. painting something entirely from your own imagination.

Michael Bay is an extremely talented technician, but what I've seen of him does not suggest that he's at all interested in creativity or storytelling. I mean, who knows. Maybe he'd be amazing at it if he put his mind to it, but he doesn't really seem to care to try. He wants to make a bunch of money by making sure-fire money-making spectacles, and he's figured out a dynamite (no pun intended) formula for that. But an artist he ain't. A storyteller he ain't.

Look, cinema is all about providing entertainment for a paying public and its difficult to argue that there isn't a huge audience out there that finds Michael Bay films do exactly that for them. He’s never yet had a total box office disaster, even “The Island” made back its production costs .
The curious thing was that “The Island” was perhaps his best attempt at a sci fi film that had the bones of an interesting story in it and yet it was his biggest failure. And lets put that “failure” into some context. It still made $40 million over its costs. But compared to the staggering amounts of money ,literally billions at the box office that all his other films have made , indications are that the industry and audiences love him , if not the critics and any one in search of something more substantially interesting than things going just blowing up in a film.

Minor point here, but I've heard that The Island is basically a remake of Parts: The Clonus Horror.

Transformers Extinction proves the point. Derided by everyone its still packing them in worldwide and racking up the millions. Because the people who want nothing more from a movie than a juvenile rock n roll blast of big monsters, huge disasters and possibly lasting ear damage are getting exactly that. Bay is a Heavy Metal film artist in every sense of the word and that’s his target audience. Some people actually enjoy being smacked about the ears and eyes rather than sitting quietly observing and thinking about the films message.

I’ll be honest ,I found “Badboys”, “ The Rock” and “Armageddon” fun, particularly after a drink, and even the first “Transformers” was entertainingly good enough ,particularly for the effects and unlikely vision of Megan Fox trying to tune an engine.

And that’s all a lot of Bay fans want from his films, just the fast spectacle and nothing else to worry themselves about except the fun park ride. And if he keeps making millions from them he’s never going to change his style because that’s what the market demands he does.

I think this is a misunderstanding, actually. Sure, some fans just want a big dumb explosion-fest sometimes. But there's a difference between fans accepting that and not wanting anything more. I think the fallacy is that a film can ONLY be either a smarty-pants thinking film, or an action-fest. You can have both. And if you can have both, why wouldn't you want both?

Ultimately, I think people accept or settle for Bay's brand of entertainment, but if you gave them that level of spectacle wrapped around a solid, well-told story, they'd like that even more. Thing is, Bay doesn't give a crap about that. He doesn't care to try. He wants to make spectacles, not tell spectacular stories. I think audiences like spectacles, as evidenced by his box office success. But I suspect they'd like spectacular stories a lot more.

And this is where we get to the "technician vs. storyteller" aspect again. Bay's technical prowess is undeniable. But learning technical skills is something that a lot of people can do. The artistry of storytelling is a LOT harder to come by. That's why I think you don't see it very often. That and the fact that Hollywood doesn't care to strive to find that kind of artistry, when they can make just as much money cranking out a paint-by-numbers 'splosion-fest.

Absolutely you can have both!!!! Just look at the films that have come out this year, Captain America 2 and X men DOFP!!! In fact the joy of going to the cinema over the last few years is just how successfully the bulk of sci/fantasy films have managed to wed both great stories with the awesome effects sequences to support them. It really has been a golden age for me, particularly the recent run of Marvel from Iron Man on , the Nolan Batman series and many other films ,such as Inception.
I don’t disagree the Bay films could be massively improved by a good story, the point is that despite virtually everybody telling him that, he just refuses to seek help and fix the problem. Many directors can change their styles to suit the scripts they shoot but he just doesn’t. He’s probably one of the most instantly recognisable film makers there is and because of that he has gathered the reputation he has. My point was that until a paying public refuses to see anything he does, he doesn’t alter or make any attempt to change the way he does things.
T.Extinction is going to do a billion dollars by the look of it. None of that money will ever from me because its not my kind of thing. If I were a kid again it probably would be the answer to all my dreams and that’s the market he makes the films for. Lets not forget one day one of those kids watching them is going to grow up wanting to make a film BETTER than a Bay film and that’s something to hope for, though it could actually turn out worse , for example…..
this tells me everything I ever needed to know about Michael Bays story telling skills and why his films are like they are:

“ Michael Bay started working as an intern for George Lucas filing storyboards for “Raiders of the Lost Ark” which he thought would be terrible. It was only after he saw that it wasn‘t he wanted to become a director. ”

Michael Bay is a solid workman in the sense that, if you give him the parts and tell him what you want, he'll build it for you and it will work right. But Michael Bay is not a storyteller nor a creator. He doesn't invent things on his own, he doesn't come up with stories to tell people. What he does is more technical, and in that sense, he's quite talented. He knows how to run a production team. He knows how to shoot action sequences. He knows how to supervise the development of a big action movie with lots of explosions. And he knows how to make movies that appeal to audiences. Even people who absolutely despise Bay have to admit he's extremely good at those things.
But look at what I just described. All of those things are technical skills rather than creative skills. There's no artistry involved, no creative interest, etc. It's the difference between a really good house painter and a mural painter. It's the difference between being able to take a "paint-by-numbers" picture and make it look great vs. painting something entirely from your own imagination.

Yes! This!

Michael Bay is an extremely talented technician, but what I've seen of him does not suggest that he's at all interested in creativity or storytelling. I mean, who knows. Maybe he'd be amazing at it if he put his mind to it, but he doesn't really seem to care to try. He wants to make a bunch of money by making sure-fire money-making spectacles, and he's figured out a dynamite (no pun intended) formula for that. But an artist he ain't. A storyteller he ain't.

Agreed. Although I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about dormant creative abilities at this stage. He has made stuff that is too creatively devoid for too long. If there was more in him, evidence of it should have come out long before now even if he wasn't particularly interested in emphasizing it.

I think this is a misunderstanding, actually. Sure, some fans just want a big dumb explosion-fest sometimes. But there's a difference between fans accepting that and not wanting anything more. I think the fallacy is that a film can ONLY be either a smarty-pants thinking film, or an action-fest. You can have both. And if you can have both, why wouldn't you want both?

Ultimately, I think people accept or settle for Bay's brand of entertainment, but if you gave them that level of spectacle wrapped around a solid, well-told story, they'd like that even more. Thing is, Bay doesn't give a crap about that. He doesn't care to try. He wants to make spectacles, not tell spectacular stories. I think audiences like spectacles, as evidenced by his box office success. But I suspect they'd like spectacular stories a lot more.

This. Everyone settles for MB's stuff. And it consistently brings in so many cubic yards of money that the studios keep giving him more top-shelf projects. I don't mind him continuing to have a career, I mind him getting over-credited for the financial success and being allowed to weaken concepts that had much more in them.

As long as his movies bring in more money than the studio gives him for a budget, he will keep making movies.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back