Mattel Ghost Trap?

the ghost trap is cheapy looking in person.....

i got to play with it and hold it today.......

i took some pretty horrible pictures, but got a demonstration on video and some close up on video

the thing is all plastic.....no metal parts and it is light as a feather......i was fortunate enough to hold it and the handle felt like it was about to snap right off :(

i was afraid i was going to break it because it felt way too plastic....not hard plastic either...i think the old blue ghost trap they sold years ago probably weighs the same

price is 135

Last edited:
Any chance Mattel may be eyeing the proton pack as a potential future product? The trap looks amazing!!

My money is on the goggles next.

But I know it crossed their minds without a doubt. On the Matty forum, Matty posted a poll on behalf of Mattel that asked whether people would want a PKE meter, a trap, and proton pack, and how much they would pay for each.

My only gripe was the sound effect was not the one from the movie.

I don't mind the plastic at all, this is perfect for carrying around.

I will echo what agliarept said earlier, it is def. an amazing time to be a nerd. Sheesh, the PKE, now a trap! But at the same time I am kind of sad. I am 27 and while I absolutely love these items, I would have went BONKERS 20 years ago. I still remember coloring my RGB pack with a black crayon because it wasn't accurate enough. :lol

Well i guess im an elitist *****. I will buy one..probably several like i did for the pke meter. But in the end this is something for cons and halloween and not display for me. And it may not be that easy to wear either as some heavy modification is going to need to be made based on that low angle.

Im glad the rods can switch out, but thats not the only movie specific detail. i much prefer the GB 1 front knobs, but thats going to be up to me to modify.

For 135 its nice, but I am not regretting the money i have put into accumulating parts for a replica build.

Now to go find a cactus...

Maybe Mattel makes it a little more heavier and better to handle. I hate props, where I have the feeling to break something off, reminds me at my first proton pack.

The PKE was a nice piece, bo bad feelings when I use it, carry it around in my belt or use it on cons...

Hopefully I will have the same feeling with the trap. I want to step on the pedal like in the movie (interested to see if a Ghostbuster boot can step on it or if just small women feet like on the SDCC, shown in the video, fit the pedal). I want to hold the trap up, like Ray in GB1 at the Sedgewick Hotel, I want to roll it over the floor, carry it around on my trap holder (but I think its a bad idea to try if a v-Hook can be attached on the trap) and the should take some hits and dome raw handling.

If it does, it will be a good piece for my belt, if not then I put it on the display and then I have to get another trap kit, with real metal parts for my costume...

Maybe thats why I should finish my Proton Pack, and wait not to long to give matty the chance to release a Plastic-Pack in close future.

We'll see.

I guess I have to take a closer look on the trap by myself and test everything out...

There might be an easy way to swap the handle out for something more sturdy. It doesn't look like it has any electronics in it. Maybe a cut of solid acrylic rod, and a square wooden dowel?

I'm sure with a little TLC, it can be improved upon by customizers.

Yep.. but its not cheap. They used gas flow detecting smoker things inside a trap.. they only smoke for a few minutes, and they cost about $15 a pop, if I recall.

Plus they do generate some heat, so the trap interior needs to be fireproof.

Not really practical for day to day use, IMHO.

This is an awesome toy that's much more than I ever expected from Mattel, and at a very decent price. I really expected $250 or more when I first saw it but once I saw the closeups, $135 seems about right. BTW, anyone else notice the change from $120 on one video and in the slides at the matty presentation, to $135 in the second vid? That thing had a 15% price increase in a matter of minutes! No telling what it'll actually be in October! :)

bitchin.gif

Its MASS produced toy what do you expect but plastic beside you can always modd it slightly and make it great. metal plates, nice coat of paint to dim the plastic shine and whamo its perfect!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back