Mask making and mandible operation

benwolf666

Now, let's get something straight, I am a total n00b to this.

I keep finding the link to the Grusderk instruction for mandible construction and mechanics,
the thing that bothers me is that -
1. It won't let me see the images.
2. It won't let me sign up to see the images.
3. there is no alternative place to see the images.
4. Grusderk dosen't reply to anyone (this might be because people are hassling him all of the time)

All I want are straight answers so here are my questions.
where can i find simple instructions for the Grusderk mandible method?
I intend to make my mask out of foam so how do i sculpt?
How do I make the mouth insides look wet inside like r1a2s3?
How do i make the Teeth, horns (around the head), and Hairs?
How can i paint it to look proper?

Keep in mind that I am in AUSTRALIA: We don't have Lowes or Home Depot, (Wallmart?) so I'm gonna need some Australian hunters to help aswell.

Firstly welcome to the Lair. Perhaps you should introduce yourself in the general discussion forum first and people are more likely to help. Also the search tool is your friend there are a tonne of posts about grusderks mask like this one:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...amp;hl=grusderk

Apparently he is working on his masks to improve the quality at the moment and after the above thread I dont think many lair members would recommend his stuff.

Im not up on sculplting but foam blocks and craft knives I would assume would be the way to do, there are plenty of reference pictures on the appropriate section on the board.

Teeth are made from resin and as for horns I assume you would be referring to an elder pred? I assume these are resin if not part of the original sculpt. As for the dreds (hair) these are either moulded from foam, moulded from latex or a cheap method is to use backer rods (do a search on them, there are tonnes of threads).

Plenty of methods of painting, first of all you need to seal the foam, again lots of threads about this. But if I paint foam I use plastidip to add a flexible base then you can use acrylic paints on top afterward.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to another Aussie pred, as mortenharket a post in the introductions thread would be good.
If you have a look through the old huntorials you will find a lot of threads on mask making.

Grusderks masks are a latex mask over a fiber glass under skull, and there are no simple instructions to his mask method but I will attach a picture i have

Foam is a good option if you aren't a sculptor, raid the off cuts bins at Clarke rubber to get it cheap or just buy a sheet of it from them. I make furry masks and I am going to make a pred mask in the same way, I use a wire base and build up ayers of foam to get the shape you want. I'm then going to coat the foam form in felt then coat that with latex (if you put the latex straight onto the foam it will just be absorbed into the foam)
you can get latex from dalchem, latonas make-up and riot art and craft

I believe r1a2s3 uses a coating of hot glue, but you can use professional tire shine

Teeth are resin but you could make them out of foam then coat them in latex/hot glue, same deal with the 'horns'. Hairs are known as dreds/dreadlocks and are either cast in cold cast foam, latex of backer rod (you can buy it off the role from Mitre 10, home hardware or bunnings) then coat that in latex, you can also carve them from foam and a few other ways use your imagination

Ideally you use an air brush with proper latex paints but you can paint it with a mixture of acrylic paint with latex and ammonia using an air brush or a mix of acrylic and latex with a brush

The search button is your best friend in this case, just about everything you could think of has already been answered

jawsystem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly welcome to the Lair. Perhaps you should introduce yourself in the general discussion forum first and people are more likely to help. Also the search tool is your friend there are a tonne of posts about grusderks mask like this one:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...amp;hl=grusderk

Apparently he is working on his masks to improve the quality at the moment and after the above thread I dont think many lair members would recommend his stuff.

Im not up on sculplting but foam blocks and craft knives I would assume would be the way to do, there are plenty of reference pictures on the appropriate section on the board.

Teeth are made from resin and as for horns I assume you would be referring to an elder pred? I assume these are resin if not part of the original sculpt. As for the dreds (hair) these are either moulded from foam, moulded from latex or a cheap method is to use backer rods (do a search on them, there are tonnes of threads).

Plenty of methods of painting, first of all you need to seal the foam, again lots of threads about this. But if I paint foam I use plastidip to add a flexible base then you can use acrylic paints on top afterward.

Hope that helps.

WOW what a mouthfull!,
thanks man, and yeah, i did mean the elder predator.
but what i meant by the "hair" is the little hair spike going up the sides of the face and above the eyes.
but yeah, thanks for the help man
(and the welcome)

Welcome to another Aussie pred, as mortenharket a post in the introductions thread would be good.
If you have a look through the old huntorials you will find a lot of threads on mask making.

Grusderks masks are a latex mask over a fiber glass under skull, and there are no simple instructions to his mask method but I will attach a picture i have

Foam is a good option if you aren't a sculptor, raid the off cuts bins at Clarke rubber to get it cheap or just buy a sheet of it from them. I make furry masks and I am going to make a pred mask in the same way, I use a wire base and build up ayers of foam to get the shape you want. I'm then going to coat the foam form in felt then coat that with latex (if you put the latex straight onto the foam it will just be absorbed into the foam)
you can get latex from dalchem, latonas make-up and riot art and craft

I believe r1a2s3 uses a coating of hot glue, but you can use professional tire shine

Teeth are resin but you could make them out of foam then coat them in latex/hot glue, same deal with the 'horns'. Hairs are known as dreds/dreadlocks and are either cast in cold cast foam, latex of backer rod (you can buy it off the role from Mitre 10, home hardware or bunnings) then coat that in latex, you can also carve them from foam and a few other ways use your imagination

Ideally you use an air brush with proper latex paints but you can paint it with a mixture of acrylic paint with latex and ammonia using an air brush or a mix of acrylic and latex with a brush

The search button is your best friend in this case, just about everything you could think of has already been answered

thanks man, i'm not used to geting results so soon!
from an aussie too, i can never find instructions-hints-tips that are region specific, they're always for america!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks man, i'm not used to geting results so soon!
from an aussie too, i can never find instructions-hints-tips that are region specific, they're always for america!

No problems I kow how hard it can be to find materials and things here.

WOW what a mouthfull!,
thanks man, and yeah, i did mean the elder predator.
but what i meant by the "hair" is the little hair spike going up the sides of the face and above the eyes.
but yeah, thanks for the help man
(and the welcome)

The facial hairs are called quills they can be made as simply as painting toothpicks black, or painting some fake grass for fishtanks black or the best option would be getting some plaster of paris allowing it to set slightly and repeatedly sticking a toothpick into it to make a mould then casting it in latex coloured with either acrylic paint, food colouring or proper latex pigment

Be careful with the Grusderk pulley system. I have one of his Masks ( a good one), but the system is very touchy and knowing how much tension to put on the thread in order to get the mandible movement is difficult. It is a well thought out system, but in order for it to work flawlessly the under skull needs to be cast off of your own face or the wearers face. Having just measurements is not enough, everything is so reliant on individual facial structure.

cant agree with mothmonty enough the mask needs to fit PERFECTLY for it to be comfortable and not to cause an injury, seriously i've got a scar on my nose from my grusderk mask,i've filed it down now but i cant recommend the system i've been using.

john

OH - and on more thing, do you know how r1a2s3 put's a hot glue layer over his mask?
I want to know if i should seal it, then paint
or the other way around.
thanx.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back