make shoe soles?

anyone ever make wearable shoe soles like the superman returns? im not after super soles but i want to make a pair of specific soles out of high qual rubber to wear...
any suggestions?

I have played with the idea. Most rubber soles are injection molded, and beyond the scope of a hobbyist. A 60 shore, two-part polyurethane would be your best bet.

I wanted to build a sneaker sole in white rubber. I have not been able to find a white rubber, as all are a beige color. The thing is, polyurethane is UV sensitive, and will darken in sunlight. I had considered a clear, and tinting it white.

Depending on the type of sole, you will need to make a model (R&L) and mold it for casting.

BTW, never saw SMR

I have played with the idea. Most rubber soles are injection molded, and beyond the scope of a hobbyist. A 60 shore, two-part polyurethane would be your best bet.

I wanted to build a sneaker sole in white rubber. I have not been able to find a white rubber, as all are a beige color. The thing is, polyurethane is UV sensitive, and will darken in sunlight. I had considered a clear, and tinting it white.

Depending on the type of sole, you will need to make a model (R&L) and mold it for casting.

BTW, never saw SMR

really? never saw? the shoes are pretty sweet. i can make molds and such but i wasnt sure what to use for the actual sole...
thanks for chiming in and if you want to tackle it let me know...

BTW, never saw SMR

Clone6, making a rock solid opaque white urethane is TOTALLY doable. I have done it. There's pigments you can buy that will not only turn it white, but will also make it SUPER opaque.

I have some info on my blog, which coincidentally is ALL about superman returns costume replication. Tons of info and thought process on replicating the boots, including the soles.

Might make for an interesting read for both of you.

Here's a link to the blog:

The Project Work Bench

I'm actually doing research and work on the boots right now.

Here's a link to the blog post where I solved my opacity problem, and the materials I used:
The Project Work Bench: Opacity Problem Is Solved

I have forgotten where I ordered this stuff from, but it's a smooth on product. You can probably figure it out with a call to them.

Hope that helps.

Matt beat me to it. my answer to all resin and rubber questions is generally smooth-on. you could even give them a call and just ask their opinion on which product would work best. Ive been wondering this also, but for ironman instead.

I had a pair of shoes with polyurethane soles. On certain surfaces, like the mall, they were incredibly slippery. I finally gave them to charity before I broke my neck.

Tread never wore though. Must have been 100 shore.

Hey Matt...

checked out your blog...I saw the soles you had in progress back in 2009, did anything ever come of that project?

I have a serious returns boot issue...any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated as those boots are the one thing that really makes this costume near impossible! lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back