M*A*S*H Opening Credits - Disappearing Chopper?

"The helipad is not located where shown on this image. It's more where the camp is indicated. Compare to current Google Earth images and you see."

Yes, your right. Its just to the right of the camp.

I've got that whole area mapped for all the different locations.

mash.jpg

I am planning a trip there in the near future. I'll be sure to look for the tree.

Of course large sections of that area burned. Added to the finale after it happened for real.

Now THAT would be a fun trip!

Are those pins on Google Maps/Google Earth? I'd never even thought to try to find it. Interesting stuff you guys are pulling together here. :)

"I am planning a trip there in the near future. I'll be sure to look for the tree."

I say we organize an RPF group trip to investigate this further.
.... seriously
There will be sandwiches and fun.

Last edited:
As I said, the chopper does not disappear from Season 2 forward on the DVDs. Framegrabs later. And I think the shot is actually from the movie.

As I said, the chopper does not disappear from Season 2 forward on the DVDs. Framegrabs later. And I think the shot is actually from the movie.

I haven't seen the movie in decades, but I think you're right, it could be a shot from the movie. I think the ambulance shot was from the movie too. From what I've read, that piece of film (ambulance shot) got damaged and cleaned at some point too—as it changes during the different seasons.

Yes, like you said, the chopper is visible from Season 2 on, so I'm betting it's just damaged or dirt on the film—a bit of gunk that was missed. For the following seasons, they must have either cleaned it or cut-in a different print.

Looking forward to your framegrabs. :)

season 2 DVD:
I can't get it to animate in the post, click on the thumbnail to see animation.

Last edited:
As I said, the chopper does not disappear from Season 2 forward on the DVDs.

Yes, like you said, the chopper is visible from Season 2 on

(Jumps up and down)

I said it first! I said it first!

(Stamps feet--- crosses arms) :angry

Kidding! :)

But honestly I can't believe some of you are surprised at the amount of effort being put into this...

Was anyone "saddened" at the amount of effort put into indentifying all the real World ANH Obi saber parts? ;) :lol

Kevin

(Jumps up and down)

I said it first! I said it first!

(Stamps feet--- crosses arms) :angry

Kidding! :)

But honestly I can't believe some of you are surprised at the amount of effort being put into this...

Was anyone "saddened" at the amount of effort put into indentifying all the real World ANH Obi saber parts? ;) :lol

Kevin

Hehe, yes you did. And even posted vids, thanks! :)

A new HD channel was added to my cable this week.

Hallmark channel is showing MASH in HD.

In the first season the chopper is obsured by a tree on the ridge it passes over. No doubt at all in HD.

Can't screen grab it or anything. But it's clear to me.

So this was correct.

Watching the scene on youtube, I see the chopper pass briefly behind the tip of a tree thats on the near ridge line.

vlcsnap-2010-05-02-21h34m17s227.jpg

Last edited:
A new HD channel was added to my cable this week.

Hallmark channel is showing MASH in HD.

In the first season the chopper is obsured by a tree on the ridge it passes over. No doubt at all in HD.

Can't screen grab it or anything. But it's clear to me.

So this was correct.

But why then is it visible from Season 2 on? Hmm? Shot at a different angle? :confused

Better print of film. After picked up for a second season, they probably got more money.

The ridgeline the tree is on, is a good ways away from the peak behind it.

If you were to fly between the peaks, just on the other side is the cornfield Taylor meets the Apes for the first time.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back