Done / Completed Luke‘s ANH motorized special effects lightsaber replica - UPDATE Nov. 28, 2021

vadermania

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
UPDATE Nov. 28, 2021

The kits have been shipped, most of them arrived already. I hope you like them, please post some pics of your finished lightsabers.

All the best, and thanks again

Tom

UPDATE Oct. 31, 2021

Happy Halloween to everyone!

All parts have been delivered to me EXCEPT the correct drive shafts. I got a set of drive shafts last week which were unfortunately not fitting into the ball bearings that I am using on all my special effects lightsabers. The new drive shafts are scheduled to arrive next week. I left one of my ball bearing at the machine shop to make sure the drive shafts are fitting properly.

Once I got the drive shafts I will start packing and shipping the DIY kits.

Here's a sneak preview of two of the empty hilts outfitted with T-tracks, clamp and buttons:
D3931851-42E2-4832-BDA1-2DD3E3C8D4A4.jpeg

UPDATE Oct. 17, 2021

The hilts, endcaps, blade inserts and drive shafts are scheduled to arrive beginning of next week. We then have to cut the threads for the red button and lens eye into each hilt, when this is finished I will start shipping the kits right away.

UPDATE Oct. 1st, 2021

I have received all parts for the lightsabers except the machined hilts, endcaps, blade inserts and drive shafts. According to the workshop, these should be ready by end of next week.
6322E617-BEC6-4FA4-804B-051AC1585208.jpeg

UPDATE Sept. 15, 2021

Thanks to everybody for the fast payment!

All parts are ordered.

UPDATE Sept. 06, 2021

Good news - we have our first ten orders, thank you very much! I will get in touch with each one of you regarding the payment and shipping details. After I have received the payment, I will start ordering the parts.

First run:
1. vadermania (Version 2 DIY kit) - paid in full
2. vadermania (Version 2 DIY kit) - paid in full
3. vadermania (Version 2 DIY kit) - paid in full
4. vadermania (Version 1 DIY kit) - paid in full
5. DannyP91 (Version 2 DIY kit) - paid in full incl. shipping
6. Scruffylooking (Version 2 DIY kit) - paid in full incl. shipping
7. redbutton (thd9791) (Version 2 DIY kit without blade) - paid in full incl. shipping
8. LOM (Version 1 DIY kit) - paid in full excl. shipping
9. Psab keel (Version 2 DIY kit) - paid in full incl. shipping
10. Halliwax (Version 1 DIY kit) - paid in full incl. shipping

UPDATE Sept. 05, 2021

Shipping to the US from Germany would be 53 Euro with DHL Premium (insured & trackable).

I have been asked if it would be possible to install a white pushbutton and a cable to make the lightsaber more screen accurate. This shouldn‘t be a big deal, since the battery pack is not needed when using an external power source, and there is plenty of space inside for the installation. You should then order the Version 1 DIY kit.

UPDATE Sept. 02, 2021

Hi everyone,

Today I have received the quotation from the CNC workshop for the machined parts.

My work situation has changed slightly, I will be back at work more often from now on, so my time for lightsaber leisure is limited unfortunately. That brings me to some important points which I would like you to consider concerning the planned run.

The run will happen when we have reached at least a minimum of 10 orders.

The turnaround time for the CNC machined parts will be 3 - 4 weeks after placing my order at the shop.

All payments should be send in EURO via Paypal to swords@tomfilm.de. I need the full amount in one single payment in advance, because I have to pay for all the parts in advance, too. Please be so kind and cover any PayPal fees.

Shipping costs are not included and will be quoted separately. I usually ship via DHL, trackable & insured. Due to COVID, shipping from Germany to the US can take up to 30 days even when shipped with DHL Premium.

Please note that this is STILL an INTEREST thread. I would like to make sure that you read through and agree to the "terms" written above. Please let me know if you are interested in a version 1 or version 2 DIY kit.

Here are the two DIY kit versions I can offer you:

Version 1 DIY kit:
- machined aluminum hilt & threaded aluminum endcap
- machined steel insert for carbon fiber blade
- steel drive shaft
- detailed assembly instructions including description of the neccessary parts for motorizing the hilt and fabricating the blade

Price: 220 EURO plus shipping

Version 2 DIY kit:
- steel drive shaft
- motor, bushing, bearings, battery pack, micro switch, cables
- carbon fiber golf club shaft
- reflective tape & black strip
- detailed assembly instructions

Price: 320 EURO plus shipping

Please note: shipping of the version 2 DIY kit will be more expensive due to the larger packaging neccessary for the carbon fiber golf club shaft. The motors will be delivered from China - based on my previous experience, sometimes they arrive pretty quick, sometimes it takes a month or longer for them to arrive in Germany.

Thank you!

Some of you might have seen my thread about the recreation of the Obi-Wan ANH motorized stunt lightsaber based on my original production-made blank. You can find it here: ANH Obi Wan special effects lightsaber replica project

LOM and I just finished a small run of a second motorized lightsaber - the Darth Vader ANH stunt lightsaber aka „The Barbican“ in ANH configuration.

Here are the two motorized lightsaber replicas side by side:
37B04C09-060B-4118-8C56-6AEC605FE2ED.jpeg

So there is one more to go: the very first lightsaber which was ignited in the original Star Wars: Luke‘s ANH motorized special effects lightsaber.

My idea is to build a slightly modernized version with a solid aluminum hilt, which houses the motor, drive shaft and battery (like on our Vader lightsaber) - no white pushbutton and external power cables like on the screen-used prop.

Depending on interest, I‘m planning to offer a run in kit form. The kit contains:
- steel drive shaft
- motor, bushing, bearings, battery pack, micro switch, cables
- carbon fiber golf club shaft
- reflective tape & black strip
- detailed assembly instructions

To complete your saber, you would need T-track, a Graflex clamp, a Graflex red button & a Graflex lens, a bubble lens and the beer tab from your favorite supplier.

The final price depends on the total number of parts produced. Once the technical drawings are completed, I’ll get a quote from the workshop for all the parts.

Please let me know if you are interested - thanks!

Last edited:
Very interested, if it helps with the numbers, in a hilt minus the blade. I'm out of a job again (COVID crap) so I hope to add my interest but can't guarantee I'll be able to participate. Life sucks sometimes, but being part of the first two, let me tell y'all they are AMAZING props to have in hand, VM pulls out all the stops.

Very interested, if it helps with the numbers, in a hilt minus the blade. I'm out of a job again (COVID crap) so I hope to add my interest but can't guarantee I'll be able to participate. Life sucks sometimes, but being part of the first two, let me tell y'all they are AMAZING props to have in hand, VM pulls out all the stops.
This COVID thing really sucks. I’m on short-term work since April last year, don‘t know if my work situation will ever be back to normal. Trying to keep myself busy with constructing motorized lightsabers ;) Hopefully you will find a new job soon, I‘m crossing my fingers for ya bud.

redbutton is basically taking my spot. We are working on this together, is there a way to reserve the saber and internals without the blade? what is the diameter of the insert? we can just get our own shaft, I just made a blade today for something else

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back