Louis C.K. talks about taking pictures with fans

I can see that...

...I met Lewis Black a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed there experience of conversing with him...that being said, I'm very proud of the picture that I have with him...but I didn't ask for that picture with him until he and I had chatted for a few minutes (at a point where I thought that a picture would just be the icing on the cake to the whole experience). Had he declined, I would have been OK with it because he gave me his time.

Let's face it--the majority of the time fans only want a photo with a celebrity so they can prove to their friends that they actually saw or met that person. And I'd be willing to be the most of the time they don't really care who it is, they just want to be able to say they met a celebrity.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I lived in a small town somewhere in, say, Nebraska. But I live in southern California and I've seen a lot of celebrities in my 51+ years; mostly actors, but a few musicians. And unless it happens at some sort of event or paid appearance where they're supposed to chat with the fans, I never approach them; I might nod or wave hello if I happen to catch their eye, but nothing more intrusive than that. As Michael Bergeron stated above, they're not there to "bend to my whim", they're just people going about their day, and I feel I don't have the right to be rude and disrupt that just because they're "a celebrity". Believe me, there have been times when I've wanted to break that "rule", but manners and respect for them as a person won out every time.

That said, I can completely understand Louis C.K.'s perspective on the matter; I'd much rather have a conversation with someone than snap a relatively meaningless photo with them.

IMG_2032_zps8f70648c.jpg

I have a story to tell that will help alleviate my conscience.

Back in the eighties, Gene Hackman was one town over filming. I went to meet him and get an autograph.
While he was preparing a shot on the street, I (a self centered, pushy, stupid teenager) walked up to him right as the director was with him and asked if I could get a photo. He graciously agreed. I interupted his job selfishly and he didn't bat an eye. He was soooooooo nice to me.
I even put my arm around his shoulder, invading his personal space.

He autographed a couple Lex Luther items.

Now as an adult I actually feel an immense amount of guilt. I really wish I could apologize to him and thank him for his kindness.

I was such a jerk

I don't watch his show and barely know who he is, so I won't be bothering him for a picture. Celebraties need to get over themselves, if it weren't for their fans, they'd still be waiting tables. If fans are such an imposition, they can quit the entertainment business and go back to waiting tables and resume being ignored.

I don't watch his show and barely know who he is, so I won't be bothering him for a picture. Celebraties need to get over themselves, if it weren't for their fans, they'd still be waiting tables. If fans are such an imposition, they can quit the entertainment business and go back to waiting tables and resume being ignored.

I agree with you on the over-inflated egos of celebrities, but he is one of the funniest people on the planet so you really should check out his work.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back