Limited Run LOTR Bilbo's Mithril Shirt

Apparently on the original they used a pearlescent spray to lighten the shirt. I am going to do a few tests on the prototype and let you know.
I'm curious if polishing the finished shirts before applying the pearlescent spray would help? I've herd of using an old clothes drier as a large tumbler works for removing rust from steel chain mail, wonder if this would work for this as well. You can definitely bring stainless up to a high shine even with just scotchbrite pads. Way less work than electroplating.

Looking forward to shipping these! Just waiting on the collars to be completed (each is hand embroidered so I need to be a little patient) but hopefully very soon.
Ogx7Z0xl.jpg

jW8it8Ql.jpg

Can you tell us a little about how to best attach this? For those of us with no sewing ability, can it simply be taken to a tailor?

Why is it not being offered completed?

thanks!
A assemblage video is being released soon for buyers.

The main reason for the DIY is to keep the cost reasonable for those willing to give it a go themselves. However I know there are a lot who want us to complete the shirt so we will offer it soon once we work out the price and get some more time on our hands.

Another reason is to allow you to make modifications, such as airbrushing the stainless steel a lighter color if that is what you like and such.

Lastly... we are RPFers after all and there is some satisfaction in building props even if it is just the finishing touches!

Here is a quick video of the kit as I received it. Very nice job on the embroidery and the chain mail is done very well and has a heft to it.

So far I have painted over the bright yellow thread with some 18K gold Angelus leather paint, with a very small brush. And airbrushed the chain mail with some iridescent pearl high flow acrylic paint from GOLDEN. These are subtle differences, but a bit closer the prop.

I do think you could get the chain mail a bit brighter by using a white primer first.

2024-02-21 19.39.59.jpg
And here are the paints I used. It did take a bottle and a half to spray the mail, both inside and out.
2024-02-18 20.15.19.jpg

I still need to assemble everything and will update more as I go.

N2darkness....thanks for the updates...I do think you're changes have made it even more screen accurate!

my biggest concern remains, how do we connect the collar piece to the chainmail!?? :unsure:

N2darkness....thanks for the updates...I do think you're changes have made it even more screen accurate!

my biggest concern remains, how do we connect the collar piece to the chainmail!?? :unsure:
I have a bit of concern as well, because the mail is essentially a wet noodle.

But it will have to be attached by sewing by hand. Just have to align the edges of the neck cut out opening to the edges of the collar and stitch through the rings and the cloth backing. Will be slow, but I think it will be doable, unless there is some other way to help hold the mail stretched out to make this process easier.

I have a bit of concern as well, because the mail is essentially a wet noodle.

But it will have to be attached by sewing by hand. Just have to align the edges of the neck cut out opening to the edges of the collar and stitch through the rings and the cloth backing. Will be slow, but I think it will be doable, unless there is some other way to help hold the mail stretched out to make this process easier.

Ok, that's good to know...I'm a little confused by Magnoli wouldn't offer these finishes if that's all that needs to be done? Not being critical, and super happy to have this prop offered, but just curious.

Also, wondering if we took this to a local tailor or seamstress they could more easily accomplish this? I'd rather not try it myself.

Ok, that's good to know...I'm a little confused by Magnoli wouldn't offer these finishes if that's all that needs to be done? Not being critical, and super happy to have this prop offered, but just curious.

Also, wondering if we took this to a local tailor or seamstress they could more easily accomplish this? I'd rather not try it myself.
There are also 6 "J" hooks that have to be attached to the collar to keep it closed (also hand stitched on) as well as the 400 crystals that have to be glued on 1 by one.

It comes down to time and the labor costs to complete each shirt. I'm sure there is someone out there willing to assemble them for a fee, but would easily be more than the kit itself as it will take many days to do.

Also, with the kit being unassembled, it gives you the opportunity to do some mods if you wish.

If this display stand is a 3 to 4 inch diameter pipe t'd on a stand, wouldn't assembly be: turn it all inside out with embroidery facing into the stand, chain on the outside and just stitch from the now exposed side of the chain down into the back of the embroidery? I could see a curved needle would be needed, maybe even one of the tiny curved surgery needles that requires a needle nose plier. But with a few tack stiches at the important corners you would be at least assured everything is aligned. Sorry, my two cents as I breeze by as the curious onlooker.

Thank you! I just received mine a few days ago (plus a couple small Indy goodies), not sure when I'll be able to build it but I love a good instruction video to work off. I'd also like to say the color and drape of the chain mail seem to work better in person than it does in some pictures, I probably won't try to spray mine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back