Liquid for inside tubing...

Robert412

I'm trying to make a costume with colored liquid visible inside sealed tubing. I have no idea what to use. I know I need something that is sterile, so it will not mold... That's all I know.

Any ideas?

I always wanna do this, I bought the parts already, but haven't started it yet.
I got the idea from another forum.

I use clear plastic tube (can be found in fish tank stores), I think the diameter is 1/4in. It fits DIP LED perfectly. So at one end, glue/seal the end using silicone seal and LED as a plug. Then pour water mixed with highlighter pen liquid (just a small mix). Seal the other end with the same technique, and make sure no bubbles trapped. Blue LED will give better "glow" on yellow highlighter (I guess). Tubes cannot be too long as the light will degrade. Need t experiment on that. Might wanna cover the end wih vinyl electrical tape or heat shrink tubes.

That's my thought, hope it helps.

A very good viscous, safe liquid that looks similar to water in a container or tube, that is also easy to tint and genenerally is inert and doesn't go moldy is glycerin (vegetable glycerin). It is easy to obtain in any drugstore, or if you need a lot of it, you can buy large jugs of it on line.

Now that you mentioned it, I forgot about this one:
My engine coolant is green flourecent-ish. I just got it changed two weeks ago. I kept the remainder of the liquid. It look mad-scientist liquid.

If you want something kinda organic, water with the contents of a broken tea bag works well and just gets better over time.

No most are completely non toxic and non corrosive. Some are toxic tho if you click the items in my link it will tell you their properties. I think only a couple there are toxic.

I use isopropyl alcohol with food coloring added for a piece of art I made. It has to be sealed perfectly because alcohol does evaporate quickly if not.

going with Dumog on this, i would use PC water cooler, its UV and non molding and comes in loads of colours

^^THIS
plus you can get 5mm UV LEDs relatively cheap... just have to calculate the appropriate battery supply (usually like 3V). Depending on the length of the tube, might be able to get a pretty good effect.

I did some thing similar many years ago on a sculpture. I used the type of tube you use in fish tanks. I hot glued the ends and used a syringe to fill them. I ended up having to stick another needle into the top while I was filling to let the air out:facepalm A smarter person would seal it once full:$

For the liquid I used food colouring and water but I mixed a little bleach in to keep it from moulding. It worked very well. The piece travelled a fair bit and always looked clean and fresh. It was certainly not kept out of direct light and never lost any noticeable amounts of liquid either.

Good luck with what ever you use. Everyone should have at least one item with strange liquid being pumped through it:sick

Quick after thought. If you use engine coolant (for this or anything for that matter) be sure to keep it away from your cat. There is something in it that attracts cats but it is very toxic. Be nice to puss and be careful:)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back