Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess: Dark Link

zatchdx

Soooo, with my Ironman build on hold until summer and senior week coming up at my school, I've decided to use the "character day" as an excuse to finally do a new cosplay/costume. :) Having a lot of foamboard, cardboard and putty lying around, I decided to start the build with the iconic master sword.

I made a pattern using an existing wooden great sword which I traced around and scaled it using these Forging Links Master Sword - Twilight Princess version measurements. After getting a paper pattern i traced it onto a foamboard twice and then glued the two pieces together using a spray adhesive. At this point the shape is EXTREMELY rough. After about 5 minutes I began to bevel the edges down to simulate an edge/ 3d affect. More pictures of that coming soon! (The drydex spackling is for minor smoothing/covering up goofs)

Ah Thanks!

Ok, so I'm waiting for the spackling to dry on the sword so I've decided to start working on the hylian shield. I got a hi res pic of the shield from Google and printed it at 100% after scaling in mspaint. I then traced the shape onto newspaper, and then onto a foam floor mat. Using some tape I bent back the shield so it would have a curve to it... not sure how long I should do that for tbh...After that I traced the outline edges onto the newspaper pattern and am about to start on the middle pattern pieces. Also, be careful scaling, mine ended up faaaaar to big for me. (I'm a whopping 5'2) But then the next one I scaled was too small :/

Hey zatch!
Looks great,
Im doing a TP Link at the moment, Great to see some other peoples work,
Looking forword to seeing updates on your sword!
How big did you end up making the shield?
Will be watching this thread :3

Sorry for the double post! Here's some pics of the shield. I'm probably going to smooth out the pits with bondo. It's made of foam insulation board and leather straps.

Been working in the second Master Sword and I'm making it out of insulation foam board (also a loki scepter for a friend), but every time i try to seal or prime it, the foam melts! How do I prevent this

I'm not sure if there is a way to. (Correct me if I'm wrong somebody). I'm guessing that the insulation foam your using is similar to styrofoam. I've had this happen to me when making some planets for my son to hang in his room. In my case the melting resulted in some cool textures so I went with it. Maybe you could try a water based roll on primer rather than an aerosol oil based one.

Well, I actually figured out a way to "prime" it for spray paint. It's a mixture of equal part latex house paint, drywall compound and latex silicone caulk, you just paint it on with a brush (or roll it or dip it) do 2 or 3 coats and its good to go!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back