Lead me not into temptation five dollar bin!

Clutch

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, I'm strolling through Wal-Mart and find these giant bins filled with dvd's and cd's for five dollars apiece!

After about thirty minutes and feeling like I'd been excavating for ancient egyptian ruins, I got 2 dvd's and 2 cd's.

Giddy as a schoolgirl, I rush home to play Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds. Yes, I know, but I kinda dig it. To my dismay, not only is the lousy quality magnified by my 60" LED, but it is PAN-AND-SCAN! :facepalm Eject quick.

At least I snagged The Boondock Saints. Make sure it is letterboxed on the back of the case and pop it into the player. Now this one isn't anamorphic, so I have HUGE black borders on all sides of my screen. :cry

On to my music to calm me down. Genesis. Greatest hits, but I saw ABACAB on there. So it turns out that it is a castrated version of the song! The whole reason I like ABACAB is because the song lasts for what? An hour at least? :angry

The last cd was Ozzy in Rio I think. Mainly bought it because I like Zakk Wylde. Turns out it was a bunch of older slow songs. Boo-hiss.

So if you think you've hit the mother lode at the 5 dollar bin, make sure you know what you're getting. :lol

:lol Been there done that! :lol

Listening to Genesis Mama album as I post, cue twilight zone music! :D

Sorry to hear about the cut rate Abacab

After about thirty minutes and feeling like I'd been excavating for ancient egyptian ruins, I got 2 dvd's and 2 cd's.

I thought the $5 bins were reserved for trailer park dwellers and those that end up on the "People of Walmart" website...

Couple years back, my friend and I whenever we were in Walmart (we delivered to several in NJ so we were there quite often) had a contest. Without looking, how many Brendan Fraser movies could you pull out of the $5 bin in 5 chances. Didn't have to be different titles, just starring him. Best we ever got was 4

Hey, don't knock the $5 bins. They do often have some awesome ones. For example, the last one I picked up was the first Mad Max, the MGM DVD release in widescreen. Pretty awesome, for sure. You just got to be mindful when you're looking through them. Sometimes they have older release version of a film (i.e. The Boondock Saints, which had two different release versions), sometimes you'll find more recent releases that are chock full of extra stuff.

Doesn't it kill you every time you see one of your favorite movies in the 5 dollar bin? I always pull out Big Trouble in Little China & Escape from New York and darn near FORCE them into the hands of the digger standing next to me. "Dude...best five bucks you'll ever spend!"

Hahahahaha I had the same feeling seeing Serenity. I was thinking to myself "I could buy this and give it to a friend"...
Doesn't it kill you every time you see one of your favorite movies in the 5 dollar bin? I always pull out Big Trouble in Little China & Escape from New York and darn near FORCE them into the hands of the digger standing next to me. "Dude...best five bucks you'll ever spend!"

I do that ALL the time! HA ha ha :lol

I have had about 50/50 luck with the 5 dollar DVD Bin. Picked up about 10 different movies and about 4 or 5 of them would not go into a rez big enough to take up my entire 32 inch LCD.

Last edited:
Yeah, it isn't all bad. A few years ago, I found Flesh & Blood. Odd little movie with two of my favorites - Rutger Hauer and Basil Poledouris.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back