Latinum

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by trekprops.de, Feb 18, 2006.

1. trekprops.de

trekprops.de Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

i recently got two new Latinum pieces which makes it 4 in my collection. Can anybody tell me how these sizes are called?

[​IMG]

Here's what I know - from left to right:

Bar, ?, Strip, Slip - correct? There's another size of these - the brick - which is not pictured here.

So, what's the missing piece? Someone told me that it's called an "Ingot", can anyone confirm this?

2. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  3. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

The far left one isn't a brick. Bricks were shown in the episode where Morn faked his death, and they had a trapezoidal cross section, rather than just being rectangular prisms.

4. trekprops.de

trekprops.de Well-Known Member

5. Kenobi575

Kenobi575 New Member

I hate to say it but you're spinning your wheels; I've checked all resources I could find and personally own- there are only four denominations of latinum: The Slip (smallest), Strip, bar and brick. My best guess is that whomever created that set wasn't paying enough attention and messed up. On Ebay - someone called the smallest the 1/2 slip - no such thing.

The only logical assumption is that since we don't know much about how the currency is made, there could be two different sizes for bars. That sounds illogical though - why would the Ferengi do it? Still, there is no evidence that the Ferengi mint it - the scrip on the currency doesn't look Ferengi. My guess is that someone goofed.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  6. Kenobi575

Kenobi575 New Member

if 30cc = 200 bricks --- 30/200 = .15cc equals 1 brick. 15cc (or ml) could have been regurgitated by Morn in the glass for Quark. Morn would have carried 150 cc/ml of Latinum in his stomach to account for 1000 Bricks. These amounts are believable.

Gold Pressed Latinum appears to be divided up according to a factor of 5: 100 Slips = 1 Strip, 20 Strips=1 Bar, following this pattern; 4 Bars = 1 Brick.

Now if 1 brick equals .15 ml, 1 Bar would equal .04 ml, 1 Strip = .008ml and 1 Slip = .002 ml. Amounts would be ridiculous to measure. The Latinum would be best alloyed with the gold rather than encased in it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  7. HMS Mike

HMS Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    There were 5 sizes of Latinum. Pictured above are all but the big bar/ingot.

HMS Mike

8. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER