Latex/Acrylic dry time

ShawDizzle

Hey guys, im new here but i am going to try the Mr. Incredible suit idea to make the skin. Since ill be working on this up in PA at my parents, I may have to go back and forth between homes since i Live an hour from there. Im just trying to find out how long will a layer of latex takes to dry depending on the thickness and methop applied. Also how long does acrylic paint take to dry applied via airbrush??
thank

firstly i applied 4-5 layers of latex

and on the airbrush question, it mostly dries straight away

depends if you pull the trigger right back and idoes a big spray, i might take longer

firstly i applied 4-5 layers of latex

and on the airbrush question, it mostly dries straight away

depends if you pull the trigger right back and idoes a big spray, i might take longer

thank you,
but how long does a layer of latex take to dry to be ready to coat over? (on averge/ballpark guesstimate)

depending on the temperature of the room, it would be tackyin about 10 min

but if you are doing a full Mr Inc suit by the time you get to the bottom of the suit you can start at the top again

depending on the temperature of the room, it would be tackyin about 10 min

but if you are doing a full Mr Inc suit by the time you get to the bottom of the suit you can start at the top again

alright.....thanx man...so i can pretty much have all the latex layering done in one day (to include reinforcing the muscles) if i start early then huh?

Whoa ..dry? or cure? ..two big differences. While latex can dry fairly quickly ( expedited by either a hair dryer or heat gun ) allowing for another coat to be applied, you will want to give it at least 72 hours to fully cure. During the curing process, Latex can and will shrink as much as 10-15% ..Remember to use a body form of some kind ( duct tape dummy, etc ) and keep that latex painted suit on the form for at least 3 days before removing. If you dont do this, you may find that the body suit that fit you so well the first time you put it on is remarkably smaller the second time around. Other tips on going about this method: Before you start this whole process, replace the zipper in the back of the suit with a more "industrial" zipper ..trust me ...with the natural "pull" of the latex, the zipper will be the first to go. Another trick...coat the body form with a generous amount of baby powder before putting the Mr. I suit in to latex ...you'll be surprised how much easier it will be to remove the suit afterwards. Oh ...and dont forget to either vasaline that zipper or cover it with some masking tape before you add the latex...you will have a heck of a time trying to unzip it if you dont. Buy a bunch of cheap touch up roller brushes to apply the latex...they will begin to gum up a bit after a few coats, so you will want to replace them. If you go the "chip" brush route, keep the brush in the cup of wet latex when you pause ..if you remove it and expose it to the air long enough, the latex will dry making that brush unusable. Have fun ..dont forget to snap some pics of your progress

Whoa ..dry? or cure? ..two big differences. While latex can dry fairly quickly ( expedited by either a hair dryer or heat gun ) allowing for another coat to be applied, you will want to give it at least 72 hours to fully cure. During the curing process, Latex can and will shrink as much as 10-15% ..Remember to use a body form of some kind ( duct tape dummy, etc ) and keep that latex painted suit on the form for at least 3 days before removing. If you dont do this, you may find that the body suit that fit you so well the first time you put it on is remarkably smaller the second time around. Other tips on going about this method: Before you start this whole process, replace the zipper in the back of the suit with a more "industrial" zipper ..trust me ...with the natural "pull" of the latex, the zipper will be the first to go. Another trick...coat the body form with a generous amount of baby powder before putting the Mr. I suit in to latex ...you'll be surprised how much easier it will be to remove the suit afterwards. Oh ...and dont forget to either vasaline that zipper or cover it with some masking tape before you add the latex...you will have a heck of a time trying to unzip it if you dont. Buy a bunch of cheap touch up roller brushes to apply the latex...they will begin to gum up a bit after a few coats, so you will want to replace them. If you go the "chip" brush route, keep the brush in the cup of wet latex when you pause ..if you remove it and expose it to the air long enough, the latex will dry making that brush unusable. Have fun ..dont forget to snap some pics of your progress
thanks a lot. so i guess once each layer dries, go ahead and add another....but dont remove the suit or anything until the latex is fully cured after 3 days? correct? thanks for the info

Yes. If you build a PVC pipe frame for the suit or install a hanger or hook to hang the form, you can do your painting right after it cures

When i was making my latex suit skin I left mine out side in the sun. It help a lot in speeding up the time. inside it took over night.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back