Knights of the Old Republic (feature film)

All the stuff says "trilogy" and I want to know if that's just for KOTOR, or if their intention is to use each of the three to thumbnail KOTOR, KOTOR 2, and TOR. I wory theyre going to keep up their bad habit of super-compressed story, rather than maybe getting an entire saga out of this.

Also, I know LucasArts games were closer to LFL's direct control than Dark Horse, but I feel they're missing an opportunity by not starting with The Golden Age of the Sith or Tales of the Jedi -- the earlier stories in that period -- and going forward from there.

TOR has nothing to do with KOTOR 1 or 2 for one thing. It's hundreds of years after the others I believe. They made use of Revan, but there's nothing really in the story that connects them at all. Hell, i'm not sure there is a story to TOR anymore. They've bounced it all over the damn place to the point there is no ongoing story really.

The problem with doing a KOTOR film is that that one of the coolest things about the game was finding out you were Revan the whole time and then deciding which way to take it from there. It takes a whole lot out of the story knowing it going in, and trust me, everyone writing about it before hand will be mentioning it, so everyone will be aware of it before it hits the theater.

Maybe if they're going to go back a bit further and do the rise/creation of Revan you may have something.

As cool as an much earlier timeframe would be, i feel this is all being reactionary.

TOR has nothing to do with KOTOR 1 or 2 for one thing. It's hundreds of years after the others I believe. They made use of Revan, but there's nothing really in the story that connects them at all. Hell, i'm not sure there is a story to TOR anymore. They've bounced it all over the damn place to the point there is no ongoing story really.

The problem with doing a KOTOR film is that that one of the coolest things about the game was finding out you were Revan the whole time and then deciding which way to take it from there. It takes a whole lot out of the story knowing it going in, and trust me, everyone writing about it before hand will be mentioning it, so everyone will be aware of it before it hits the theater.

Maybe if they're going to go back a bit further and do the rise/creation of Revan you may have something.

As cool as an much earlier timeframe would be, i feel this is all being reactionary.

I hope that if they are going to do the actual KOTOR story that they do it exactly how the game does it. Lay in enough hints that people might get an idea that you're Revan, but don't spoil it. The first time I played it I had zero clue that I was Revan and it blew me away. I wouldn't want to ruin that for viewers who aren't familiar with the game! Still it would be interesting to see them condense the story down enough without killing the experience.

Either way, they're both "old republic".

Honestly, I'd rather see them take inspiration and tell their own interesting story. Not every conflict had to be Galaxy spanning and "fate of the republic".

But they'll ultimately do whatever they're already planning for. Should be amusing at least.

As much as I love KotOR, it works best as a video game experience. As film material, it's too "by the book" Star Wars. I'm sure that's what they're looking at whoever's producing, keeping everything in a clay press template, but whilst a large cast works for the game as they're the basis of your crew, in a film, 8 people as your main ensemble in something that's going to be an action film is exhausting. I honestly think a film adaptation would be a bad representation of the source. Especially with the "quality" the films attached to Star Wars is at the moment. I'd be more inclined to champion a limited series but I don't think a movie of this game would ever work outside of being a sweetened, condensed version.

KotOR 2 on the other hand, I think has more material there that would make a very mature and interesting film. The game was, unfortunately, not as good as the first, but I think is rife with potential to make something truly good as it questions the very fundamental ideology behind the original movies, and everything that's succeeded it. However, it would require fairly competent writers to adapt its core philosophy and its narrative, and a film maker who wouldn't see the material as a complete joke.

I wish I could say I have hope, but there is nothing for me here to be excited about.

KOTOR2 wasn't as good because they were forced to leave out large parts of it and forced out the door to meet a release date and didn't release it when it was ready.

But again, the problem with doing KOTOR as a movie is that everyone writing about it - and i don't mean message board posters - will spoil the big reveal as it's been know for about 20 years. Your authors on websites will announce KOTOR the movie, based on the game where you play a character you don't know is Revan until near the end. Stuff like that.

It'd be akin to announcing they're redoing the OT and trying to keep the vader is dad bit a secret. Nearly everyone in your target audience is going to already know.

The Restoration Mod for KotOR 2 still wasn't enough for me. Much of the gameplay mechanics and narrative don't sink up together and with me and that, for me, was the real problem with the second game.

Agree with what you've said on the KotOR problem, though. Beyond just the major reveal, there's just so much great writing and mini-arcs in the game that really stick with me. It would be a shame if some of these things were glossed over in a single film.

This is one such arc, the turning of Yuthara Ban back to the light on Korriban. It's so small an event but I found it a fairly profound one.

Last edited:
My guess is they'll make a kotor-inspired film; general looks, timeframe, some character names, but the story will be totally different. Pretty much as they've done with the ST; taking some ideas from the EU but rewriting everything. Hire Benioff-Weiss both for their experience in GoT and to convey the idea that this is the SW "middle ages", recycle some ship designs, throw a lot of jedi and epic battles in it and hope for the best. If the response from the public is good enough they'll greenlight two more films and if not they'll cancel the trilogy plan and try something else, go figure... I Highly doubt they'll be adapting kotor in any way or form. Kotor serves as pitch: the art department will use it as inspiration among many other things and the writers will be briefed about the story to get some ideas from, but I don't see any of the people working on it playing even a minute of kotor. Saying "based on kotor" is just marketing, probing the fanbase to see the potential response and in the long run creating much expectation only to be repayed with frustration for those who though they'll see their videogame experience translated to a theater screen.

Maybe, but the only thing that makes KOTOR, KOTOR, is the revan story line. There's nothing in the settings or design that imply 'old republic'.

From what I've heard they are talking about an adaptation, not just a generic movie. It would make more sense to lead with your best and if people like that, then you go and do a new story set in that period.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back