King Kong matte painting replica

domingo

Hi everybody. I’m sculptor and painter from Spain. I work mostly doing props and FX and I just wanted to share some of my last works. I have started to do some replicas of matte paintings.

Most of the original paintings were done on glass, but I’m painting on Plexiglas which is the closer to glass, and much more cheap and durable.
That one is from King Kong 1933. The Skull island matte painting. The original one was painted by Mario Larrinaga as a glass shot filmed on a Californian beach.
Kong4.jpg

The next one will be also from Kong33. The log chasm sequence.

Cheers.

Love it!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see talented people like yourself keeping this fine art alive!! :thumbsup

A great book indeed. Very inspiring. There are just a few published books about matte painting, and that one is a treasure on my collection. I’m also an enthusiastic fan of matte painting.
I have finished a painting replica of Superman (1978) I hope to start with the log chasm painting this weekend.

Now there's an original idea, replica matte paintings! Awesome! Some of Matthew Yuricich's mattes would make cool subjects, especially the ones he painted "squeezed" to be combined with anamorphic plates.

I often thought of doing some replica matte paintings like this, but they take up so much wall space. Back when I lived in Columbus Ohio in the 90's, the Center of Science and Industry Museum (COSI) had a limited run show with movie props, Star Wars costumes and matte paintings. They had original paintings from Star Wars, Ghostbusters, and numerous other films. It was incredible and forever made me want a few replicas. But the one standout piece above all the others was a painting used in the original Wizard of Oz. it was the iconic shot of Emerald City and castle off in the distance with the yellow brick road and poppy field. That thing was amazing :)

Thanks for the positive comments.

I will love to do one of those Yuricich´s paintings from Ben-Hur, or one from ILM mattes of the hangar bay from Return of the Jedi, but I’m starting with some not so complicated paintings. Wizard of Oz will be also another one to take into account. There is some classical stuff I would love to do like some matte from Gone with the Wind.

Yes, I know that wonderful Blog. Peter is a good friend of mine and we use to exchange a lot of graphic material about mattes. Without a doubt the best Blog on matte paintings.

That’s the Superman (1978) matte replica I have recently finished. The original was painted by Doug Ferris under Les Bowie supervision. I’ve include also a picture from the film.
supermanmatte3.jpg

Cheers.

I’ve been busy with some other projects but the King Kong log sequence painting is finally done.
It was originally made as a combination of miniature and glass shot; I have done a full painting.

I hope you like it.

Domingo
kkongcopia2.jpg

Very nice! What a great idea...good for you! An excellent way to join the forum.

Welcome!!

-Rylo

Edit: And a little earned rep added too!

Thanks for kind the words!

I’m´ planning to paint a copy of the matte painting of the wall of the 1976 version of King Kong.

Domingo

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back