Happy Anniversary to King Kong

Probe Droid

Master Member
The original disgruntled New Yorker climbed the Empire State Building (the elevator was too crowded) for the first time on this day in 1933.

An eternal favorite. I raise my glass to Merian C. Cooper, Willis O'Brian, Fay Wray, Bruce Cabot, Robert Armstrong (possibly the worst actor in history), and the Eigth Wonder of the World himself (and I apologise for not remembering who wrote the picture).

Salute one and all. :cheers

Hear, hear...happy b-day to the original adventure film.

Kong trivia- kong's size changed through out the film.
During the jungle scenes he is scaled at 18ft (18" puppet).
When kong appears in the in the city, Merian Cooper felt he wasn't big enough in comparison to the buildings, so a 24" inch puppet was created to make him appear 24ft.

I was lucky enough to hold one of the original armatures (along with Mighty Joe Young) armature at the ImagineNation Expo 03 in Vegas.

Me and Bob Burns, owner of Kong and Joe:

Even 77 years on, the big ape is still as fresh as ever. :thumbsup

I was lucky enough to hold one of the original armatures (along with Mighty Joe Young) armature at the ImagineNation Expo 03 in Vegas.

A couple of my friends still talk 'bout playing with Bob's "monkey" (yeah, yeah), which I'm extremely jealous about... but on the other hand, I did just happen to get to have a close look at some pivotal pieces of equipment that were used on Kong and Mighty Joe Young (along with a whole lot of other classics).

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back