Joshuakern’s Hasbro Falcon

joshuakern

Hi, I’m Josh and this is my Falcon. :)

Long story short… my wife went away on a 7-week trip to Africa in the spring. I needed a project to keep me busy whilst she was away. Building a new Falcon seemed like a good idea, even though I hadn’t built a model (except for a half-assed attempt at a PL Refit Enterprise in 2006) since I was about 15 (I’m now 38). One model I still have from my youth is my old AMT Falcon. And I did a terrible job on it. With the Falcon coming back on screen this year I thought the time was right to upgrade!

Researching what kits were available, and best, led me to this here forum, where I discovered the Hasbro hero series falcon and I loved the scale and the price so that was my route. I bought all my supplies, Randy Cooper’s upgrade kit, some fibre optics, some 3D parts from Tony at Shapeways and got to work. I thought I could get it all done in those seven weeks…

It took a heck of a lot longer than that. BUT, finally, it’s done.

Before I get to the photos, let me just say a big “thank you” to everyone here on this forum, especially those of you who’ve built/are building Millennium Falcons, for all of your inspiring work. I’ve been lurking since April and I've learned a ton from all of the various Falcon threads. I couldn’t have done it without all of your awesome advice and photos of your work!

So here she is. I know it’s not up to the standards that you guys set; if you look closely you’ll see a myriad of flaws, starting with the position of the top quad cannon. BUT, I’m still pretty proud of it. Aside from the fact that I haven't done much modeling recently, there were a lot of firsts for me on this one: First time I’ve ever used fiber optics, first time I’ve used resin-cast parts, photo-etch parts and/or 3D-printed parts, first time I’ve used oil paints on a model, first time I’ve scratch-built anything using styrene, first time I’ve used a wash… certainly the first time I’ve done a toy conversion and/or built a “model” without instructions! Your feedback is welcome and appreciated. :)

Regards,
Josh

FB03.jpgFB04.jpgFB01.jpgFB02.jpgRPF2.jpgFB05.jpgcockpit2.jpgcockpit3.jpgRPF3.jpgRPF1.jpg

Well done for getting it finished, I've dragged my feet with this model, nice paint work , which I'm in the same boat as you never having used washes , oils etc, I'm experimenting on other smaller kits but avoiding the big dawg .....

Josh,

Absolutley stunning build.
Your last two paragraphs could be the exact words I use in a few moths once I am finished with mine!

Thanks for sharing.
Datfly

Thank you so much guys!

One thing I forgot to mention as another first: pigments! I used the MIG rocket exhaust for the back engine vent streaks and in a few other spots. That stuff’s tricky – it gets everywhere! Results were pretty good though.

That's one hell of a first!

Excellent job

Where did you get the figures for the cockpit?

Blakeh1: Thanks! Han is from Tony’s Shapeways store; Chewie is from the Bandai 1:48 AT-ST (yes, I bought it just for Chewie… but I will build it, one day…); Leia and Threepio are from the WOTC Star Wars miniature game (picked them up off eBay).

I was trying to go for something circa the asteroid belt – Leia barking over Han’s shoulder, Threepio freaking out… I think it turned out pretty well! They’re not all in scale, but not really noticeably off.

(The WOTC Threepio is from the scene in ROTJ where Luke is force-levitating him – originally he was sitting on his Ewok throne – I popped him off the throne and he was just perfect. Leia I had to chop off a blaster in one hand and reposition one arm. Chewie also needed a lot of cutting and sanding to fit in there… thankfully you can’t see it but he pretty much only has one foot. :) )

Blakeh1: Thanks! Han is from Tony’s Shapeways store; Chewie is from the Bandai 1:48 AT-ST (yes, I bought it just for Chewie… but I will build it, one day…); Leia and Threepio are from the WOTC Star Wars miniature game (picked them up off eBay).

I was trying to go for something circa the asteroid belt – Leia barking over Han’s shoulder, Threepio freaking out… I think it turned out pretty well! They’re not all in scale, but not really noticeably off.

(The WOTC Threepio is from the scene in ROTJ where Luke is force-levitating him – originally he was sitting on his Ewok throne – I popped him off the throne and he was just perfect. Leia I had to chop off a blaster in one hand and reposition one arm. Chewie also needed a lot of cutting and sanding to fit in there… thankfully you can’t see it but he pretty much only has one foot. :) )

That's what I thought. I recognized Han as the Shaepways one, I suspected the others were the Wizards of the Coast mini's (forgot about the Chewbacca in the AT-ST)

It's good to know the WOTC mini's match up scale wise (at least it looks like the do to me). That opens up a whole range of possibilties for diorama's

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back