John H. Watson's Service Revolver

deck5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a conceptual piece; it's not a specific replica from any Sherlock Holmes production. It began life as a few dollar store items, including this:

capgun.jpg

After a bit of work:
webley-top.jpg

webley.jpg

That looks amazingly real. Do you have any pictures of its conversion?

Thanks! Here's a pic from a earlier on in the conversion process. Above, the original dollar cap gun; below, the same gun with a few mods -- "MADE IN CHINA" sanded away, a new barrel & sight, a pull knob on the end of the cylinder axle, and an extractor added. Also, a few machine-screw details are added to the frame.

stage1.jpg

The barrel is an aluminum tube, and the round sight is tiny bit of wood. The paint is flat black with graphite rubbed in, sealed with matte clear coat.

Later mods included detail on the grip, and a completely new hammer built with epoxy putty over the tiny little original one.

That is a wonderful idea that is beautifully executed!

I...I'm probably gonna have to steal this one for my Holmes display - if I can pull it off half as well.

I REALLY like this.

Really? I wouldn't have thought it was particularly Lovecraftian. Wrong time period, for a start.

Well, they do period related stuff, not just Lovecraftian stuff, but also some stuff that falls into steampunk. In fact, most recently, they had posted a link to someone's LeMat pistol article, which were guns made in 1870.

That is a wonderful idea that is beautifully executed!

I...I'm probably gonna have to steal this one for my Holmes display - if I can pull it off half as well.

I REALLY like this.

By all means, and thanks! If you bought a revolver in Victorian England, it would have come in a box quite like this, not so much for display as for transportation and storage.

Amazing work! You'd never know that came from a dollar store item.

Thanks! Several dollar-store items are in there, in fact: the box, the hinges and latch, the red fabric (it was a polyester tablecloth), and the craft foam underneath the fabric providing padding.

Really? I wouldn't have thought it was particularly Lovecraftian. Wrong time period, for a start.

Well, it's crazy awesome, plus I just finished reading the Mythos/Holmes crossover anthology "Shadows Over Baker Street". So it's canon, if you squint. Heh.

That aside, it's a beautiful piece of work.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back