JMS wants to reboot B5 for the big screen

Riceball

Master Member
I'm really surprised that no one else has posted this yet, but anyhow, word is that JMS wants to do a B5 reboot movie. No real details yet except that it's all his idea and he actually owns the movie rights so he's not beholden to any studio but he is hoping that Warner will greenlight it. I know that a lot of people here are going to be complaining about another reboot but in this case it might work out since it's a reboot by the creator of the original IP and not a bunch of studio hacks.

http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-8/stra...classic-babylon-5-back-life-movie-reboot-2016

For me it's a case of been there, watched it. The series was well made and had a beginning and an ending. I don't have any desire to see the story told again in an extremely truncated fasion.

For me it's a case of been there, watched it. The series was well made and had a beginning and an ending.

Not to mention a tacked-on extra season (seriously, Season 5 was completely unnecessary), a couple of movies, and two failed spinoff series (Crusade, which was horrible DESPITE a good premise (I mean, when the execs say they want basically WWF in space as well as a character whose entire purpose is to have sex with new alien species, you know something's bad) and Legend of the Rangers, which thankfully never made it past the pilot).

I don't have any desire to see the story told again in an extremely truncated fasion.

^This

Not to mention a tacked-on extra season (seriously, Season 5 was completely unnecessary), a couple of movies, and two failed spinoff series (Crusade, which was horrible DESPITE a good premise (I mean, when the execs say they want basically WWF in space as well as a character whose entire purpose is to have sex with new alien species, you know something's bad) and Legend of the Rangers, which thankfully never made it past the pilot).

It wasn't tacked on, when it looked like B5 wouldn't get renewed for a fifth season, JMS took all of the end-of-series stuff from season 5 and shoehorned it into season 4. When they got renewed, he had nothing else, he had already told the story so he took the stuff that was supposed to be in season 4 and made it into season 5, which was anticlimactic because they had already finished the Shadow War that was supposed to be the series finale.

I think if he's in charge it won't be that bad. I was kinda hoping they'd get him to work on the Captain Power reboot since he worked on the original (only one episode but still we know he could make it non-cheese).

No no reboot! Up until the last season or so it was a masterpiece. I'd much rather them do a totally new story in the same universe. I'm tired of reboots.

There's no way to tell the whole story in even a trilogy of movies, and it would be a challenge to do a standalone film that the non-fans could appreciate. But I'd be willing to bet that JMS could do it. (Of course, I'm still waiting for him to apologize for Legends of the Rangers...)

If anyone should remake it, it should be JMS.

But, honestly, I don't know if the story could be translated to a 2-hr format, or even a 6-hour trilogy format. While there were certainly plenty of episodes that could be condensed, I don't know if there's an effective way to tell the story in the time a typical feature film allows.

As for the final season, I don't remember it being bad, but it's been a while.

What I'd really like is someone to figure out a way to make the f/x-mixed-with-live-action shots actually work and do it all in hi def for home release. As it is, all I have are my DVDs, and any live+CGI shot looks...really bad. I know the assets are supposed to be lost, but a man can dream.

I'd be happier if the world we already know were revisited for some penultimate, self-contained adventure not too long before "Sleeping In Light". Maybe even persuade Joe and Claudia to each eat a little crow and admit the massive communications breakdown was both their faults, so we could have Ivanova back. The problem with any remake of this is the same sort of problem faced by anyone wanting to, say, redo the Harry Potter films to include more of the important content from the books -- the extant work is already really good, still stands up, and was well-cast and well-acted. I don't know that anyone could do G'Kar justice after what Andreas did in the role, for instance. I would rather see Bruce and Mira and Claudia and Stephen and Pat and Jason back than see their roles re-cast.

I gotta say -- whichever way it goes, I want to see a newly-rendered Omega-class Destroyer on the big screen. Woo...

--Jonah

Last edited:
That's the other thing. I really cannot imagine anyone doing characters like G'Kar and Londo any better than Andreas and Peter. And I kinda don't want to, ya know? I'm happy with what we have, and at this point, I'd rather leave it sit. Plus, a fair portion of the cast has died at this point. Andreas Katsulas, Richard Biggs, Jeff Conaway, Michael O'Hare, etc. Just...leave that story alone.

Now, if he wanted to tell a story about, say, Sheridan's son, farther in the future, I'd be game for that. Tell a story in the Babylon 5 universe, sure. But the tale of Babylon 5 itself...that's been told, and told well.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back