Jawa Ion Blaster, Building With Real Parts, Added Vintage Flask

Jediseth

Sr Member
I've been wanting to build one of these for a few years now and decided to when I saw a demilled Enfield #1 MK III on sale for a really good price.
This was a very fun two day build and I wanted to share may experiance. Here from what I can find are the two best referance photos available that I used to measure from while building this prop.
ElTcPEl.jpg
1SH6ILE.jpg

Here is the rifle as it came in a box covered in Cosmoline ( grease ) . I had to pick up the gun from the local gun shop because it had to be shipped to someone with a FFL license.

QW4Hpin.jpg

After I cleaned as much of the grease off with my old white socks that I'm to embarassed to wear anymore, I began to sand off the paint stripes off the sides of the gun and the clip. Then with some Birchwood Casey super blue I got from Walmart I reblued the clip.

VLfT26N.jpg

I then broke off the top wood cap on top of gun. With a hack saw and box I cut the wood forestock and barrel just behind the rear site protector. It seemed from measuring from referrence photos this was the correct spot to attach the adapter and grenade cup. Then I measured and cut even with the tapper section of the barrel the rest of the wood forestock being very careful not to cut or scratch the remaining barrel with the hack saw.
ELAh1Bf.jpg

qraUIk9.jpg

After cutting the the butt stalk of the gun to match the referance photos I drilled a half inch hole into the appropiate location for the rubber tubbing that attaches to the powder flask power pack. I then used the the remaining forestock and cute a 3/4" cylinder to fit inside the hole left from cutting the butt off. I could have just cute a piece of 3/4' dowel you get from the hardware store, but I wanted to keep the prop with as original as possible. This way the wood is the same. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but it's quite dark and beautiful.

ZLie8zt.jpg

I used a dark walnut stain to cover the area sanded to remove the stripes and a clear coat to protect the wood. After the clear coat dried I used a fine steel wool and buffed all the wood.
JRgMetm.jpg

Here's the but of my prop with the wood cylinder glued into place and stained.

TjyCWdC.jpg

Time for the grenade cup. There are several varieties of cups out there made. Here are three that are the most common. others have a various degrees of knurling.

Here is the S.I.R with the screws attached to the back rim near the claw mounts.
4UncsCW.jpg

The S&B that show holes.
DpwrCkA.jpg

The R.F.I with no screws or holes shown.
zuptnNk.jpg

The more common referance image shows no screws on the grenade cup, but as you can see in the other referance photo the cup is turned and you can clearly see it's an S.I.R. That being said with a dozen or more Jawas running around I'm sure they used several varieties.

ElTcPEl.jpg

Time to unscrew the cup from it's mount and cut off the claws.

iOELZjX.jpg

After both claws are cut off the threaded attachment portion I put the part into the jaws of my lathe and turned it down so that I could make it round and able to fit into an adapter.

tp9xqYo.jpg

Then out of a 1 1/2' bar stock of aluminum I began to turn and bore out an adapter. I then got the correct angle on the the taper.
nlbxG2i.jpg

I then primed and painted my adapter black and epoxed it together. This is a really fun prop to build and relatively still inexpesive comparatively speaking. This takes the stress off when cutting and building and makes it really enjoyable. I have a 1/2" rubber hose ordered I got here locally in Utah and will be hopefully adding a powder flask in the future. Thanks!

TPeMEbt.jpg

Last edited:
I missed the "demilled" part initially and seeing the Enfield cut apart hurt me a little bit. Glad I went back and reread it. Great looking piece though!

Thanks I ap
I missed the "demilled" part initially and seeing the Enfield cut apart hurt me a little bit. Glad I went back and reread it. Great looking piece though!
Thanks you two. Ya I had a hard time wanted to cut up a good one and pay the tax on doing so. I just couldn't get myself to do it, but it was my plan originally.

great work, the result is awesome, congrats (y)
great work, the result is awesome, congrats (y)
Eethan is it you who has all those nice powder flasks you’ve been collecting? Some of those suckers I’ve seen you post are just awesome. I just won one at auction today. I’m pretty excited, it’s not an exact match as the prop, but to just find a flask in that style is very difficult to find. I’ll show it off here when I get it

Eethan is it you who has all those nice powder flasks you’ve been collecting? Some of those suckers I’ve seen you post are just awesome. I just won one at auction today. I’m pretty excited, it’s not an exact match as the prop, but to just find a flask in that style is very difficult to find. I’ll show it off here when I get it
Hey mate, yes it's me indeed :) yes, please show it off when you receive it! I'm quite passionate about those flasks!

I recently aquired this antique flask. It was made in the 17th-18th century sometime and the brass on it was made in the 16th century. Pretty dang cool. It's not an exact match the original, but it's a close enough resemblance for me. Any of these style flasks are extremely are to find. Yeah! Jawa Ion blaster is complete.

oYbatPy.jpg

ayZv9id.jpg

Very cool! Man, over 15 years ago chap sent me a converted Enfield to put sound and lights into. Was a cool project, but yeah, militaria collectors do not like seeing these cut up! Dont ask me how I know.

jawablaster1.jpg

Very cool! Man, over 15 years ago chap sent me a converted Enfield to put sound and lights into. Was a cool project, but yeah, militaria collectors do not like seeing these cut up! Dont ask me how I know.

View attachment 1410302
Thanks man, that’s funny. They made so many of these rifles. I see you took the bolt off the back of yours. I know there are a few more things to take off mine to make it more accurate I just haven’t felt like doing it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back