James Bond Spectre Sunglasses

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Any clues what these are?

fpHasnV.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Vuarnet 027, Although I can't find a pair of 027 with the leather bridge cover, the 430(aviator style) had them, but that one isn't the right shape. One could have easily made it's way onto the correct frame. I'll link a pic where you can see the Vuarnet logo better on the Bond glasses. Not sure if vintage or an upcoming rerelease. BTW, probably the same frame McCready wore in The Thing.

vuarnet 027 black glacier ski sunglasses_1.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/54ncdw0gf/150212_first_look_omega_sunglasses_goggles.jpg

Got to go looking now

Vuarnet stopped making the Glacier glasses a few years ago

I have a pair of Vuarnes Glaciers not those though.

Bah!

The new glaciers look like crap,

Vuarnet relaunched in Oct 2014, they should bring back the classic glaciers and yes I know their were at least 3 Models.

Lucky I still have a pair I bought in 1994 that I hardly wear

So excited for this movie! Anyone follow Mantis on the AJB forum? They're hardcore Bond fans and very good at identifying clothing/accesories

- - - Updated - - -

I'd venture a guess and check Tom Ford and Persol's lines, they've been very heavy in the Craig era

Mantis is a member here, maybe he will post

So excited for this movie! Anyone follow Mantis on the AJB forum? They're hardcore Bond fans and very good at identifying clothing/accesories

- - - Updated - - -

I'd venture a guess and check Tom Ford and Persol's lines, they've been very heavy in the Craig era

old Vuarnet glacier glasses

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to the convo
http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44981/spectre-wardrobefrom-filming/

Need a look at the side but they look like really old Vuarnets.

Cool thread just pulled out my Vintage Persols that Crockett wore in season 3 of "Miami Vice"

Persol, Vuarnet, they just don't make them like they used to...:(

old Vuarnet glacier glasses

- - - Updated - - -

http://s30.postimg.org/p7vtbnbgd/vuarnet4027glaciernoir_2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to the convo
http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44981/spectre-wardrobefrom-filming/

As I posted in the third reply to this thread as well as posting at ajb, there's no question it's the same frame as the one he's wearing as you can clearly make out the Px ski logo as well as Vuarnet in the official pics, if you know what to look for.

Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 11.50.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-14 at 11.53.30 PM.png

Yeah but you know it's always good to have better pics!

Looks like the leather side shield is different more grommets on the Bond one.

I can't believe they used these as they are very old and hard to find now especially that Model!

As I posted in the third reply to this thread as well as posting at ajb, there's no question it's the same frame as the one he's wearing as you can clearly make out the Px ski logo as well as Vuarnet in the official pics, if you know what to look for.

View attachment 439160View attachment 439161

Yeah but you know it's always good to have better pics!

Looks like the leather side shield is different more grommets on the Bond one.

I can't believe they used these as they are very old and hard to find now especially that Model!

Absolutely good to have the best pics available, but I'd say these are more than sufficient.

I'm not seeing the rivets/grommets on the screen glasses, just glare on the gloss frame.

These aren't hard to find at all right now. There's a seller on ebay, sunglassesfrance, that has sold six pairs in the last few months and has more for sale now. Sometimes these frames get bought in a warehouse sale and show up decades later. There were a lot of Vuarnets produced back then and this general style was popular for a short couple of years(outside snowy mountain areas anyway) so there are probably plenty of NOS frames out there somewhere. Heck, even NOS Persol 649 and 714 frames show up from time to time, and they've been extremely popular compared to the Vuarnets in the last few years. Even The Dude's Vuarnet 003 can still be found pretty easily after years of being bought by Achievers, although tougher in the proper brown frame.

As to why they used these, no idea. Maybe he lifts them from another character, like he's done in previous movies. Maybe they were going for a certain look. Maybe Vuarnet is rereleasing them closer to the movie. Maybe they haven't smudged out the logo and it'll be replaced with Tom Ford's logo. Maybe the 027 just looked more interesting than the alternative. Doesn't change the fact that they're an exact match in shape, logo, and finish to the Vuarnets. The only thing different is the leather bridge cover(possibly from the 430), which I can't find on the 027 but that's easily enough remedied.

Taking into account the matching logo, frame shape(rounded, not aviator), bridge(single, shown by dip in leather cover) finish(gloss), temple mount/joint(height in frame/definition), temple design(square to round to covered cable tip), it's pretty hard to imagine it's anything else but the Vuarnet 027.

All I'm saying is if someone wanted the frame, which I don't, it might be a good idea to go ahead and try to source a pair before they're "positively" identified and possibly get more expensive and/or harder to find.

Think I'll break out the old vintage Vuarnet tee tomorrow. Haven't worn it in years.

This discussion reminded me of another pair of sunglasses in a movie I looked for for years, Dick Grayson's sunglasses from Batman Forever. Just going to quote myself from another thread so I don't have to type it all out again. Point is though, sometimes even big movies will source vintage items for a certain look. They even have side shields. :cool

I know some people don't read the words and only look at the pics but I hope everyone realizes this is for the argument of using vintage glasses, not saying these are the glasses on Bond.

Yep. :cool

Looked for years for them thinking they were something like Charlie Sheen's Vogues from The Arrival or Linda Hamilton's Matsudas from T2, something pretty high end. Turned out they were old Bausch and Lomb safety glasses. These are the first pair I found. I have a couple of nicer ones now with the screen accurate paddle temples(this pair has cables) that I haven't taken pics of yet. Going to have trivex lenses put in for riding.

IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg
1.png
10.png

:lol I wore mine out years ago, still have my fleece top :lol

I guess I am going to start looking on the bay as I want this model thanks for the tip.

In the 80's the Glaciers were popular on the beaches as well, i have had 3 pairs of them, one was stolen and another just disintegrated when I tried putting them on.

Still have my third pair.

They stopped coming with the leather bridge piece in the late 80's, but you could order them and the side shields from a Vuarnet dealer.

Think I'll break out the old vintage Vuarnet tee tomorrow. Haven't worn it in years.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back