Question Is the RPF Running Faster for you?

Is the RPF faster than it has been in the past few weeks for you?

• Yes, and it is about time!

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No, I am still seeing stalls and slow performance.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • I hadn't noticed a slow down to begin with.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • It wasn't slow befor but it is faster now.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As mentioned in a couple of announcements, we have made a considerable number of background changes in an effort to speed the site up and while we have more work to do, we are seeing a significant speed increase today over the past few weeks and we want to know if you are seeing the same. Starting about an hour ago, 8:00AM PST we made a change that seems to have had the biggest impact? Are you seeing it?

Just did an advanced search for 'kenner' and did the 1-1000 count, took about 17 seconds to pop the results...

Still seems a little slow to me personally, I know it's hitting a large database, but I have done searches on bigger forums and don't recall experiencing extended stalls like that... Nor do I remember them before the server change...

Certainly faster than it was, but IMO there is still an issue...

Just did an advanced search for 'kenner' and did the 1-1000 count, took about 17 seconds to pop the results...

Still seems a little slow to me personally, I know it's hitting a large database, but I have done searches on bigger forums and don't recall experiencing extended stalls like that... Nor do I remember them before the server change...

Certainly faster than it was, but IMO there is still an issue...

i did the same test and getting a result in under 2 secs

zorg,

You may have gotten a cached copy of exoray's search. I just did an advanced search for "hasbro" and the results were "Page generated in 0.13062 seconds". Not the greatest, but not bad.

We are continuing to look at this and eliminate issues were we find them (we have actually found quite a few that have amassed over the years).

i did the same test and getting a result in under 2 secs

Yeah as Art said the forum caches recent searches so after the first time it will pop quickly, pick some other random obscure but popular word that probably hasn't been searched recently, I could suggest some but then as soon as someone ran a search it would be cached as well...

i tried stormtrooper right after as posts and it came in under 3 secs.

i know what your saying though.

*everything i try comes in under 3 seconds

i tried stormtrooper right after as posts and it came in under 3 secs.

i know what your saying though.

*everything i try comes in under 3 seconds

Well I'll PM you a few to try if you want, can't say if they will work or not as i can't test them first ;)

If you look a the way the search works, it assigns a number to your search as seen in the link below for a search for 'test'...

http://www.therpf.com/search.php?searchid=2136354

That search in now cached and anyone that searches for the word 'test' will be given the same results I just was, until the search cache expires, this sometimes causes problems as it won't pop very recent post that contain the word 'test' until that cached search expires...

Good for search optimization bad for repeated testing of server performance ;)

Last edited:
tried them and some obscure ones i thought of myself and all sub 3 sec

As I said in the PM it might be a combination of two things happening on the server at the same time that is causing the stall... Many times my searches do work just fine as well but when they don't it's quite obvious something is wrong as it take many many seconds and there must be a reason for it...

It would certainly be easier to track down if it was consistent, intermittent issues are a pain to track down sometimes...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back